• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RWBY (Web Series).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Also, Beacon could simply be like most colleges or even high schools in the real-world States: students are afforded the choice of what classes to take in any given year. In this case, Velvet might have taken some classes in her first year that Team RWBY and JNPR won't take until their second year, but now has to do those classes she didn't do last year.

That's a good point. You can be given various options for what credits you take in colleges, with certain conditions depending on the year of course. I guess it would've helped to know what kinds of classes first year students at Beacon have to take. I mean, we get some idea what a few of them are like, but presenting names for them could help make things clearer.

Quote:
...Velvet was also originally supposed to be a one-shot character whose role was expanded later, so that could be it as well...

...Wait, was she? I get her role is so far minor, but I don't know about her supposedly being a "one-shot" character. I mean, she was one of the first characters to be explicitly identified as a faunus (because Blake being one wasn't confirmed until afterward) that had a name, face, and some sense of personality. That and her situation when introduced set up an issue about the problems many faunus (or is it "faun-i") have. It feels like going through a bit of trouble just to make her one-shot in the first place, ya know?
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
That's funny; I could swear that I read somewhere that Velvet and the rest of Team CFVY weren't necessarily meant to be a thing from the beginning, but I can't find where I read it anymore.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
That's funny; I could swear that I read somewhere that Velvet and the rest of Team CFVY weren't necessarily meant to be a thing from the beginning, but I can't find where I read it anymore.

Well, what I said wasn't necessarily based on whether Monty, Kerry or Miles explicitly said such things themselves. I was just theorizing the idea according to how much thought was put into how Velvet's character was introduced.

Though you could be totally right for all I know.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, assuming that I'm correct, I'm tempted to think that Velvet was originally introduced to showcase Cardin's bullying and also to serve as an example of spoiler[discrimination against Faunus] without revealing quite yet that spoiler[Blake is a Faunus as well].

Can't say I'm complaining about the expansion of her role regardless, especially considering that the Cardin bullying arc was the worst part of the series so far.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. Putting aside the fact that there were skeletons in Jaune's closet that didn't make him and his way of applying to Beacon look good, I would definitely agree that those episodes and the ones featuring Ruby and Weiss's tension on the first day of class were the most underwhelming parts of the story so far.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I loved the anime like facial expressions the girls had at the end of the episode, it was perfect.

I'd react the same way - awww hell - I did react the same way, when they revealed, the mystery Huntsman. As goofy as he is, I have a feeling - that he'll be one hyper active badass. That's my gut feeling on the guy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Volume 2, Chapter 9

An almost 15 minute episode that was pretty awesome. Oobleck was one of my favourite characters from the first volume, and seeing him and the second is great, not in whether he fought but how perceptive he is. Also comedy with him just good too.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:43 am Reply with quote
Well, my first impression of Oobleck was that of a weirdo. But now, there's a lot more to him than that, which makes him one solid character.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
Oobleck might be one of the best-written and executed characters in recent memory, and may represent one of the best ideas in general. The man is essentially an information dump and exposition goldmine, but because he is so hyped up, erratic, and downright fast, none of it feels cheap or a chore to sit through.

Thanks, Rooster Teeth. You've built a city upon a hill; the eyes of all production companies are upon you.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Oobleck might be one of the best-written and executed characters in recent memory, and may represent one of the best ideas in general. The man is essentially an information dump and exposition goldmine, but because he is so hyped up, erratic, and downright fast, none of it feels cheap or a chore to sit through.

Thanks, Rooster Teeth. You've built a city upon a hill; the eyes of all production companies are upon you.

I don't know about Dr. Oobleck being one of the best-written characters, but he definitely adds a unique perspective as far as huntsman characters go. Critics on the internet are probably going to moan and groan if they see what I'm about to say, but f*** it, I'm finding the dismissively harsh, snarky criticism towards the show to be really exhausting and annoying anyway. I can't help but compare Oobleck to Hange from Attack on Titan.

I'm not saying they're the exact same characters, but they do share similarities in terms of how they present themselves compared to the rest of the ensemble cast in their respective stories. They both care to take a more observational approach to fighting their main enemies than an aggressive one. Personally, I would very intrigued if he didn't even have a weapon of his own and relied on other means to fighting Grimm in his career as a huntsman.

On another note, I feel compelled to address specifically the choice of visual direction in this episode, particularly when team RWBY fought the Grimm. A lot of people seemed to cringe at the way that scene went out because it wasn't what people expected to see out of Monty Oum when he usually has fight scenes presented. Given how the focus of the episode was more about having the characters learn more about their job as aspiring huntresses, I liked how Monty Oum decided to be less kinetic with the action. as much as I like scenes with a lot of flipping, explosions and weapon clashing happening every half-a-second, there's a time and a place when to not focus on that so much. If that happened this past episode, it would feel out of place and distracting. The shots definitely had something similar to what Gennedy Tartakovsky did in some of his previous projects like Samurai Jack and the Star Wars: Clone Wars microseries. I don't know if there's a name for those, I guess "cutaway" shots, but I always find it interesting when that's applied somewhere.

I don't think the animation was particularly off, though I felt they may have done those cutaways a bit too frequently. It's not as if that sort of thing can't be successfully done in 3D. The new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series on Nickelodeon is a good example of this.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Monty's use of the "Kill Bill" approach brought about a different taste to the fighting in episde 9. Besides, it wasn't all that necessary to show the full fighting, because they're just common enemies at this point.

In volume 1, sure, we needed to see fights in full then, because at that time, we haven't seen the girls in action. By this point in volume 2, we have.

===

Now, as for episode 10, we have ourselves a nice lead-in to an upcoming big fight for episode 11; and that, I would love to see in full - as much as possible anyways.
t-Roy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, late to the party here, as I just got on the forum - I've been watching this anime series religiously from the time the four character trailers came out, and am really enjoying the show - and Volume/Part/Cour 2 has been even better than the first... I actually love that quirky Poser animation they're using, and always thought they decided on using this style on purpose, not because they didn't have money for something better, but to create a show with a unique feel to it, instead of the same ol' same ol'. I probably wouldn't like this series nearly as much if it were done in a traditional animation style. I love that awkward feet-sliding-on-ground effect and objects going through other objects, makes me smile, not grimace... Smile

I didn't see anyone mention in the thread about the Volume 1 Blu-ray including a "movie-mode" from the menu to watch all the episodes contiguously with no OP/ED's. Probably good to mention that for those reading the thread who have not bought it on disc, as the short, totally odd-length episodes seemed to be a big complaint from a lot of the viewers posting on here. I guess they've always offered that same movie-mode option on the Red Vs. Blue series discs, but I have no interest in that series so never watched or bought that one. I was elated to see the option on the Blu-ray, as I never even knew such a thing even existed, lol... Shocked

I do need to catch up on the latest episode or two yet, I believe ep 9 was the last one I saw, when the RWBY team was out on safari with Professor Coffee-Overdose... (lol, I drink a full pot of coffee everyday myself, so I can relate!)
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
@ t-Roy:

Hey, glad to know you're catching up on the show. To throw my two cents on the "movie-mode" feature, although I don't have RWBY on DVD yet, I did get Red vs Blue, Season 1 on DVD years ago at a Gamestop. Basically I had gift money to spend and I first heard about the show a couple of years prior on this Cable Free-on-demand thing called 24/7 Gamer where there were people talking about Bungie's Halo. I didn't know any better about buying used entertainment items or machinimas or Roosterteeth in general at the time, but I digress.

Amyway, what you described about "movie-mode" in the RWBY home releases is exactly like with the Red vs Blue dvd sets. Another way to tell this is how Roosterteeth does this with their content is that if you check iTunes, RWBY and all the Red vs Blue seasons are available to buy or rent like movies. So I imagine that's a standard procedure for them and their titles.

Anyway, I do hope you get caught up with the show by now because HOLY CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP.........!!! Episode.... f******... eleven... of volume... 2!!
komacki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:

Anyway, I do hope you get caught up with the show by now because HOLY CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP.........!!! Episode.... f******... eleven... of volume... 2!!

spoiler[I'm assuming Attack on Titan was on the team's anime-watching homework.]
And great sound design for the siren at the very end.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Every time I start to get bored of RWBY...that brilliant fighting choreography pulls me back in. There's nothing like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 19