• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Parasyte -the maxim- (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
Apparently Uda's parasyte does get its own name later on, but this is info from the wikipedia entry so take it with a pinch of salt.

As to the homicidal nature of Izumi and Uda's parasytes, would it be good for your own survival if you defy your host and actively attack humans?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
In fact, A-san saw Shinichi and Migi as clearly beneath him and just wanted to kill them because "he could."

Actually I thought his motivation is that he thought they were "dangerous" (his word). At first he was restrained by Ryoko and he acted on his own later. What I found interesting is that he must have realized that Shinichi could expose the aliens in a way that hosts who had their brains destroyed could not.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
In fact, A-san saw Shinichi and Migi as clearly beneath him and just wanted to kill them because "he could."

Actually I thought his motivation is that he thought they were "dangerous" (his word). At first he was restrained by Ryoko and he acted on his own later. What I found interesting is that he must have realized that Shinichi could expose the aliens in a way that hosts who had their brains destroyed could not.

Obviously he didn't think they were dangerous enough to feel that he could actually be harmed by them. He probably saw them more as an abomination. But clearly he was not required to kill them for his own survival. That was what was being argued before. He also could have easily understood that Shinichi would not try to expose the aliens because of the exact reasons Migi has stopped him from doing so: (a) Migi would probably mutilate him to stop him from doing so, and (b) if he exposed the aliens he would be shipped off to a research facility to be probed and dissected.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Obviously he didn't think they were dangerous enough to feel that he could actually be harmed by them. He probably saw them more as an abomination. But clearly he was not required to kill them for his own survival.

I think what it was for A-san was he realized that Shinichi's human sentiment combined with Migi's survival instinct would eventually because a threat. While he may not have seen them as capable of killing him A-san did say that anyone who got in the way of his basic survival would be eliminated. He probably reasoned that eventually Shinichi would try to go after him if out of some sense of justice and that even if they likely won't kill him Migi even injuring his host through a lucky shot is enough to greatly hinder his ability to feed at best requiring time to rest and recover as well as avoiding unwanted attention, at worst injuring him enough to require relocation which as mom-parasite has proven is very difficult because you require a similar match to your previous host.

On the actual episode I am interested to see where all these plot threads will lead now. You have Ryoko who at this point is kinda a neutral party more interested in her scientific process but still a large threat. We have Uda and Neck-Parasite as allies who can empathize with Shinichi and Migi. We have Kana who based on the preview will be getting developed more since it looks like Blonde Gang Dude will be featuring in the next episode as some sort of antagonist.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Plasmaeclipse wrote:

I think what it was for A-san was he realized that Shinichi's human sentiment combined with Migi's survival instinct would eventually because a threat. While he may not have seen them as capable of killing him A-san did say that anyone who got in the way of his basic survival would be eliminated. He probably reasoned that eventually Shinichi would try to go after him if out of some sense of justice and that even if they likely won't kill him Migi even injuring his host through a lucky shot is enough to greatly hinder his ability to feed at best requiring time to rest and recover as well as avoiding unwanted attention, at worst injuring him enough to require relocation which as mom-parasite has proven is very difficult because you require a similar match to your previous host.

That all seems highly speculative to me. It seemed to me that A-san was mainly miffed by Ryoko's interest in Shinichi and just didn't like him. Obviously Ryoko did not see Shinichi as a threat. A-san was at most jealous, but most likely I think he just was disgusted by Shinichi and Migi in some way and his homicidal tendencies naturally took over.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

That all seems highly speculative to me. It seemed to me that A-san was mainly miffed by Ryoko's interest in Shinichi and just didn't like him. Obviously Ryoko did not see Shinichi as a threat. A-san was at most jealous, but most likely I think he just was disgusted by Shinichi and Migi in some way and his homicidal tendencies naturally took over.

From Mr A's own words "I see Izumi Shinichi as a threat, and I eat anything that I perceive as a threat." He doesn't explicitly say WHY Izumi is a threat, but threats are to be eaten according to Mr. A.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

From Mr A's own words "I see Izumi Shinichi as a threat, and I eat anything that I perceive as a threat." He doesn't explicitly say WHY Izumi is a threat, but threats are to be eaten according to Mr. A.

Well if that's what he said then so be it, but he was clearly deranged. Like I said, Ryoko did not see him as a threat. Her whole conversation later with him was that she saw him as a human and would kill him because that is her homicidal programming. Then she stops at the last second because she notices something alien about him. If he was perceived as a real threat, she would have killed him instantly as well.

Likewise, the dog parasyte did not attack him because he was a threat. It tried to consume him because he was human.

Same thing with the parasyte that cornered him in the alley. It wanted to eat him. It didn't see him as a threat. In fact, it wanted Migi to join with it.

The point is, they don't just kill things that are a threat. They mainly kill because their very nature is to be homicidal killing machines. Migi and the other new one have averted this trend and that makes them different.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Well if that's what he said then so be it, but he was clearly deranged. Like I said, Ryoko did not see him as a threat. Her whole conversation later with him was that she saw him as a human and would kill him because that is her homicidal programming. Then she stops at the last second because she notices something alien about him. If he was perceived as a real threat, she would have killed him instantly as well.

Likewise, the dog parasyte did not attack him because he was a threat. It tried to consume him because he was human.

Same thing with the parasyte that cornered him in the alley. It wanted to eat him. It didn't see him as a threat. In fact, it wanted Migi to join with it.

The point is, they don't just kill things that are a threat. They mainly kill because their very nature is to be homicidal killing machines. Migi and the other new one have averted this trend and that makes them different.

There's a contradiction in your claim regarding the dog parasite, Migi clearly states in the first episode that the dog parasite judges Izumi's still extant human brain as a threat because of the parasitic right hand. Migi also states that dog parasytes would eat other dogs, hence the first encounter of the dog parasyte making a meal of its own kind.

The unknown pedestrian parasyte primarily wanted Migi to join together with it to form an even stronger entity as a primary aim, killing human Izumi just happened to be an action that could also be accomplished as part of the stated aim of parasite combination. I'm not sure where the concept of threat comes in, other than Migi responding to the threat of Izumi the host getting killed taking Migi down with him.

As far as I can tell, the parasytes who have failed to take over human beings seem to replace their original biological programming of "kill all humans" with "ensure survival of human host, in so doing ensuring self-preservation". Like many other living organisms, the parasytes will defend themselves if they perceive a threat. As for the full-on parasytes, perhaps a different way of judging them would be as organisms programmed to hunt and kill humans as well as any aberrations they encounter (in much the same way the parasyte which took on the form of Izumi's mother assessed Izumi and Uda).
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

There's a contradiction in your claim regarding the dog parasite, Migi clearly states in the first episode that the dog parasite judges Izumi's still extant human brain as a threat because of the parasitic right hand. Migi also states that dog parasytes would eat other dogs, hence the first encounter of the dog parasyte making a meal of its own kind.

I did forget that it was mentioned that the dog parasyte was eating other dogs. I'm not quite sure of the circumstances of it wanting to attack Shinichi, I guess I will have to go back and watch it again.

But yea, again, my point still stands. The argument I was refuting was that the parasytes only attack things that are threats to them, not because they are homicidal. However, they are clearly homicidal by nature (including the dog one) except for Migi and the new one. Thus, Migi and the new one are different.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 + 9 (double back to back special):

That was great. First half introduced a new character whilespoiler[ Yuuko and Kana gets involved with the new threat. Shinichi himself also changes quite a bit and his father as well as Murano notices. Well, to me, he is becoming more like Migi.]

Anyways, it was two solid episodes this week thanks to the promotion of the live action movie. Can't wait for next week with all this buildup.

I feel bad for spoiler[Shinichi's dad and that dog though.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Izumi's level of cool just went through the roof.
He sure has changed a lot!
Damn, his dad sure took a turn for the worst..
Even if all those changes gave him superpowers, he's still trying to be human.
He is trying, but he seems to be failing too.
Also, he's alienating from Murano.
New transfer student made things interesting.]

spoiler[Oh, so the government is aware of the parasytes.
Well, that's good and not so good at the same time.
Megane girl seems to be onto something about Shimada.
Izumi trying to patch things up with Murano.
Shimada is gonna be a problem.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Double header, they really are going all out to revive this series for the 21st century.

#8 wouldn't be surprising given what happened last week, but the storyline certainly gets going with #9, what with spoiler[the government finally getting a handle on the parasytes via eyewitness testimony and Kana getting more and more involved with the parasytes. ]

spoiler[I couldn't tell what was written on the bottle that the artist prepared beforehand, but if it's from a box in an art class it's probably some kind of oil used in painting. How effective it is against parasytes, the audience will find out next week.

Edit: Rewatched and paused at the frame with the label. It's a bottle of paint stripper. ]

spoiler[Perhaps a little contrived, but the approach the artist took with Shimada probably make sense given her feelings towards the matter and the person in question. Shinichi on the other hand is probably lucky he hasn't been suspended for all the "extra-curricular" activities he's been involved in for these two episodes. ]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
The episodes were both pretty good as far as creating good tension and drama. However, the artist girl's actions in episode 9 were absolutely ridiculous. That was some very poor writing - coming up with a totally contrived way for her to get alone with Shimada and have him ready to kill her. No rational human being would confront something like that by themselves after witnessing first-hand that he is clearly some kind of alien life form and hearing from her brother that these creatures are violent, deadly predators. It's never a good sign when a show has to make its characters complete imbeciles to move the plot forward.

Again, it didn't kill the episode, but it was a pretty big drawback.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
^^ I have to pretty much agree with CK on this one (there I said it). There is absolutely no logical or rational reason for her to have attempted to spoiler[confront a suspected super killer on her own armed with a bottle of (I think) acetone. She could have just told the artist guy what she saw and had a chance of a decent outcome.]

Beyond that I am very pleased to see the story pick up the logical threads I was suggesting earlier.

There was absolutely no way the parasytes could go undetected for very long. And somebody had to start thinking in terms of normalizing the presences of parasytes. The Ryoko parasyte seems to be the only one that realize just how vulnerable they are -- all the rest of them seem to live for the moment only.

It doesn't look good for anything positive to happen with Murano. How the hell many times can she put up with him acting all freaky and Tourette-screaming off before she realizes he is a total whack job and stay way. And why can't he control himself around her in the slightest?
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
…PFfffffff hahahha, that ending, wow that was…just, man they REALLY overworked themselves on that one. spoiler[I do hope she doesn't die cause there gonna expect me to feel sad for her but that's gonna be flat out impossible. Worse is she's probably gonna be able to fight him with that bottle, cause you know they can avoid each other super fast attack but slow bottle being thrown at them, too hard] Show's really good so I'll just assume the lead writer got sick and his dumb brother or something had to finish his script. Rolling Eyes

Kinda wish Murakano would just leave the show for a few episode, pretty much every single action she did in the last 2 episode is going "are you really Shinchi?" it getting kinda of repetitive. I do like him much more now, it's nice that he's finally taking more initiative, wish they didn't make him so OP and with all the girl flocking to him though. I do hope he start the next time he get in a fight he at least bring some weapon, it's kinda the trademark of human to use tool, it's a bit disappointing he doesn't use them, mivi upgrade should have left him ambidex right?

On Ryoko, spoiler[it seems pretty out of character that she'd just accept what someone would tell her like that, but w/e. I hope it doesn't turn out that parasite were created as a way to limit human number, cause that's a terrible way to do it, creating a strong new sickness would be cheaper and more efficient.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 26