• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Howl's Moving Castle BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravendruid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
Even though I'm well aware that it's not one of Ghibli's better movies (though that still puts it in the top ten percent of all movies out there), this remains one of my all-time favorites. Sure the story is kind of all over the place and a bit inconsistent (I certainly agree with the comments about it being three different movies spliced together), but there's something about the characters that just speaks to me, and in many ways, I think that this is one of the most beautiful of the Ghibli films, especially in terms of scenery.

I love the original novel, too, but I have a hard time getting upset over the changes the movie made, simply because they are so different, that they really come across as completely different stories to me, so they never really get compared to each other in my head.
redranger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Other than mononoke this is the only ghibli movie I liked. The rest are shit.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
Other than mononoke this is the only ghibli movie I liked. The rest are shit.

Thank you for your deep, thoughtful analysis.
ronri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:03 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Howl on a visual level, but the narrative being such a complete mess left me a little cold and needless to say, it's one of my least favorite Ghibli films. I may have to watch it again someday, but it seems that I may not have missed much given some people's reactions here.

Speaking of Spirited Away, I will say that beyond the environmental message, I feel that Miyazaki also heavily talked about how he wanted to tackle the idea of showing reverence for one's culture and past traditions (Japan specifically, obviously) in light of the ever-changing modern world. Which makes sense, given the narrative tone and visual contrast between the introduction with the family drive and the actual spirit world that was depicted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2