• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Psycho-Pass 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
qberr wrote:
i'm prety sure that when you quote high tier literary works and philosophical concepts multiple times every episode you fit the dictionary definition of "pretentious" perfectly

I somewhat disagree. Many of the quotes in the season fit within the context of the show. Some of literary references, not so much. The director has said he's been influenced by Phillip Dick, so the reference to electric sheeps isn't just there for show. Same for the quotes from Rousseau, Bentham and Weber. The show's themes are about governance and society. Season 2 is a different story because the omnipotence paradox doesn't fit and I don't see how PP has anything to do with religion.

Eva is a different story because "quoting" imagery is different from quoting words. Unless utilitarianism is the cool thing among kids nowadays.

@residentgrigo, the one you want to read is Phanomenologie des Geistes, that's the true king of pretentiousness 'Very Happy'
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Well Phillip Dick was on drugs a lot. Have you read Ubik(Miura did too) ?
Believe me EVA(especially The End) quoted everything under the sun. This is also the reason i prefer it´s manga a bit. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is my favourite novel by the way. Play the 1997 adventure game. Is realy cool.
Your book "has been praised and blamed for the development of existentialism, communism, fascism, death of God theology, and historicity nihilism." I now NEED to read it. If Nietzsche is a 10/10 in being just insane how does Friedrich Hegel come off ?
The linked "The Crisis of European Sciences and Transcendental Phenomenology" sounds like a PP quote by the way. Thank god season 2 focuses on sci-fi techno babble.
Have fun with this one: http://phaser.gfxile.net/ligen/technobabble.php
The "omnipotence paradox" is how some of you think that PP2 is not a style over substance action/suspense show that has fun with genre conventions a bit'Twisted Evil'. You know like a 80/90s ova as let´s say Armitage III or the still good Gunnm franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big Eva fan, as well, but all the references in Eva are used in a very subtle way. In PP it's presented very directly to the viewers but I think in Eva, you have to pay attention to notice it and even then, you can ignore it (like the Christian imagery). Unfortunately, the only Dick book I've read is Androids Dream of Electric Sheep but I really like it as well.

I read somewhere that the sybil system is actually a reference or based on something from another Phillip Dick book, maybe VALIS? someone who knows more about this can probably check. I had to read an english translation of that Hegel book back in college, and honestly, I didn't understand a single thing Smile
Marx was hugely influenced by Hegel, so I think that's where some of the influence of the book comes from. "Crisis of European Sciences" is another crazy one but I'll say no more, since I don't want to derail this thread.
The point I'm trying to make it is that quoting or referencing "intelligent" books or people can either help or hurt a show depending on how it's used. It somewhat works in shows like Eva or Psycho-Pass. On the other hand, you have GITS2: Innonence, which goes overboard with the quoting, IMO. Innocence felt like Mamoru Oshii grabbed some random books off his shelf and then he had the voice actors read off random pages, lol.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I just tried a bit of Hegel now and nope that one is too delusional for even me.
Just the sentence structure alone makes me afraid and wtf is an "Itzt" ? Back to anime talk:
My favorite use of imagery in japanese media is how the The Garden of Earthly Delights is used in Berserk ch. 306. I don´t think VALIS(he was nearly mad by that point) was referenced in PP because it is too space crazy. Season one was a half cooked The Minority Report if anything.
But that one only had 3 mutants running the world not 246 brains in a jar. I sometimes think that i understood the backstory of the show better the half the staff because i actually read neary all of the crap they quoted. They included Friedrich Nietzsche, Foucault, William Shakespeare, George Orwell, Jules Verne, Arthur Conan Doyle, Jonathan Swift, Philip K. Dick, Marquis de Sade, Kenzaburou Oe, Junichirou Tanizaki, Shuuji Terayama and much more. I work in a library for a reason.

Dick´s(haha) The Man in the High Castle(great twist ending) is a good one or the A Scanner Darkly movie/book. See i can have "taste" but i like well executed action too. Had IG showed me a burning Giraffe running down a street in ep. 09 i may have given the episode an A-. The perfect agent of chaos i say ! We are watching an insane spectacle but his Mardock Scramble(8/10) is even more unhinged. It had a gay dolphin and a man made of breasts'Shocked'. Boy did he explode good ! I also watched Heroic Age and let´s call it unique. I am realy not shure what to think but i will give it 2 more eps.

I had to reread the corresponding chapter from the manga to get Innocence btw. but i did start to like the movie after a got the basic structure down. Damnation through parsing i guess ? That said the 2 storys were CRAZY different. I also looked at your link because you seem nice'Wink' but am I am sadly not a Shirow fan. His mangas had no tone or endings(Apple Seed 7/10 was the best because it had characters that made sense to me) and then nearly 20 years of hentai started to mount up'Razz'. What the hell is GitS 2.0 about anyway ? So IG very different takes on his 6/10 original made me a GitS fan. Read the Sleepsless Eye manga. It is even better then the Arise sister ova. Do you want to poo poo my long list ?
The original EVA was for me a takedown of the genre(that nearly took Anno down) that then sadly grew the wrong legs and is now being put of women´s underwear'Rolling Eyes'. 3.33 was hard to swallow too but the now release final epilogue(with Mari) to the manga calmed me down. That one is my version EVA 9,5/10. The book about Gainax is very decent btw and look at our master at work: Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh0qbJAQhgk

Last edited by residentgrigo on Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
qberr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
well executed what
it's about as badly coreographed as AgK manga
Daerian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
So, killing puppies and human centipede in one episode.

I have no words. Really.
qberr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:32 am Reply with quote
well i found this

i could watch this for hours
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Daerian here is some verdi to calm you down. http://a.pomf.se/tpemgb.mp3 You now go on and watch the new Hannibal(10/10) tv show. That one has on screen face eating action and is tv-14 on NBC. I have NEVER seen a more violent show on HBO and so on. Some of the stuff had even me speechless. Best of all it is a great neo-noire because the detectives have a brain. Have you seen the puppy corpse by the way ? It barely looked like meat anymore. Still the official Psycho Pass novel is way more f**ked up. I also read the "Psycho-Pass - Kanshikan Kougami Shinya" prequel manga yesterday and it was generic so a 6/10.
Can the board please play a game with me(you too Hope) and give the season a hue colour.
I give it a Joker purple.
qberr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
which pp novel?
there's around 4 of them
Daerian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Daerian here is some verdi to calm you down. http://a.pomf.se/tpemgb.mp3 You now go on and watch the new Hannibal(10/10) tv show. .

You know, I'm Hellblazer fan and if you check my manga list you will find Spiral and Tomie with high notes Wink I don't have problems with body horror, I have problems with lazy writing for shock value Very Happy
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
I meant the two part novel by Makoto Fukami. It was the basis for the extended cut but they left the bestiality at home. Regarding that I have read ALL of Hellblazer'Cool'. It not that dark, more like nihilistic but the Brian Azzarello arcs were something else. Too bad the nu52 stuff is generic but his new show is ok. Ito is also ok in my book but some more substance to the style would be nice. Look up the comic Crossed(safesearch off). It would be even darker then Berserk if it had an ongoing arc and Alan Moore is writing the latest one. Your list by the way is nice but you need more seinen and josei on your plate. Anime before the year 2000 is also not to be missed. You gave season 1 a 6/10 btw. so where is the problem'Wink' ? Kudos for dropping Kill la Kill. You probably missed the bad stuff in the second half. 6/10

So my already mentioned friend now marathoned all of PP2 over the weekend because of me. He disliked season 1 more then me but the idea that the new staff turned it into a borderline farce intrigued him and he is now into season 2 also. I could even convince him that Mika is a good character. Just the sort of person i would expect so survive in a neo-fashistic state.
I pick my psychopaths good ! The negative was that he didn´t care for how much story is crammed in every episode and there i agree. I feel like watching 16 episodes crammed into 11. He did liked the gore honesty and found the show generally more way more fun. I am now forcing the show on another friend friend who never watched part 1. I also looked at the PP reddit last night and they are really into this season. I expected a more mixed reaction. Finaly Heroic age is growing on me despite obvious problems so i now will look up Ubukata "real" books.
So about the hue color ?
@qberr The agk manga(s) are very generic so i dropped them very early on. 4/10 This show on the other hand is everything but.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:54 am; edited 3 times in total
qberr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
Plot doesn't seem rushed to me, it instead feels like they're wasting a lot of times on badly directed action scenes.
Also you're seriously using Reddit's opinion on a show as proof of it being good?

Also check AgK manga, it should fit your tastes just right (only no sci fi)
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I have said enough already so short and sweet. Ep10 is a B+ and nearly everything i have a problems with is because this is a sequel that has to play by some old rules and dumb force ghosts. Why couldn´t this be a prequel with a nearly original cast back at near start of Sibyl ?
Kamui is my favorite (anti)-villain of the year(the big one in Parasyte is for next year) and i would have switched sides for him if i worked for the "police" even without the drugs. Too bad you have to pyrrhically loose soon. Akane is now really a interesting (anti-) hero too. Way more capable leading women like her in seinen(ok this one is not quite it) anime should exist. I finally love it that Mika is now a "Schreibtischtäter" as expected. They always survive so here is hoping.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
qberr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
i thought ep9 was dumb, ep10 has it beat
only it's not entertaining dumb, just "writer changed the plot halfway trough and doesn't know what to do anymore" kind of dumb
residentgrigo wrote:
Kamui is my favorite (anti)-villain of the year
lol
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I usually wait for the review to come up, but this episode (10) was so dumb that I have to burden myself as I can. Brfffffff~

Edit: Oh, I better use the spoiler tag until the review is up. Edit 2: Okay, out.

First off, the thing that made me flip my table embebbed in the wall: The scene with Akane and Sybil/Ms. Togane/whatever, when they say that they will cheat to kill Kamui even killing innocents that they "assume" are criminally dangerous (because you know, criminal rates now go up to the moon with nothing) and therefore kill them without remorse. They can even erase Akane's memory even if she's still clear. Ok then, WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU DO IT WITH INSPECTOR SHISUI THEN, WHICH WOULD AVOID THIS WHOLE SITUATION FROM THE START?!! Now there's no excuse, no "Sybil doesn't cheat", no "Sybil/Ms. Togane is colaborating with Kamuri", no "We want to be sure about the choice we take with any member so the system it's perfect", no, so now this doesn't make any goddamn sense. It's not even contradiction with the S1, it's contradiction with itself from episode 7!

Later, of course, we have the whole thing with Sybil and search for perfection which is bullshit. "Oh you are not being 100,000000% perfect in our vision so your whole system is invalidated, before it was cool but now not", really? This season is not making any critiques to the system, it's criticizing the fact that it must cheat in extreme cases to accomplish some things. The hipocresy about "not being able to judge themselves" is kind of the basis of the whole system, that's the reason why when we hear this system we think it's fucked up, because it's criminals unjudged who are judging us, but that's the basis, trying to questionate "Why the system is not perfect" is stupid because we know the answer, the S1 didn't even try to cover that (and back there at least it would have made sense in terms of thematic progression, not now in a late season) because it's so obvious and irrelevant that it's a waste of time.

And of course, Akane. When they saw in S1 Akane trying to avoid Kogami to kill Makishima they only thought in that fact and not that there was also logic about that (you know, the deal with Sybil: "Bring Makishima alive and Kogami will come back to the society") because if you only give the ideal and that's it makes Akane look like a brainless extremist 'mercy to death!'. And that's what she looks like here being so focused the show in the temptation to kill Kamui and how that will turn her black instantly. Now I laugh whenever I think about the bottom line in episode 1 about questioning her identity and stuff, she didn't question anything! It's just a 'maybe I'll succumb to my emotions and kill a person and downfall', nothing more complex than a typical revenge story, which, you know, it was already made more shortly with Makishima when he was K.O. and decided not to succumb to it. All the constant speeches are trying to hide how empty this whole conflict is (which is, technically, the main focus of this).

Bad. Bad bad bad bad bad. I wasn't even that pissed off with the other episodes, but this one was baa~ad.

Last edited by justsomeaccount on Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 27