• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Psycho-Pass 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I didn't see that as her choosing not to kill him, but that she couldn't manage it because...at that point she was so psychologically dependent on the crutch of the dominator.
...She was also unable to shift gears and judge him herself when her whole life was based around trusting Sybil to make those judgements.

I had a similar interpretation of that scene. Akane has basically been told by Sybil what to do her entire life and at the one moment her decision matters the most, she freezes up and can't shoot him.

Yeah, I agree, you guys are right. I tried to word it so that I was saying "not killing Makishima was a mistake," not "choosing not to kill Makishima was a mistake" because she certainly tried. She wasn't actively choosing not to shoot him, she just plain wasn't able to because she grew up in a society where the fight-or-flight response in people, among many other things like empathy, stress, and self-reflection, has been actively discouraged and deteriorated.

But yeah, it's not a matter of choice. This isn't Trigun. It wasn't "should I kill this man or not" it was "how do I kill this man, I have never considered this situation in my life and I don't know how to behave this way under pressure." Being told by the Dominator "this person is okay to shoot in this precise moment" on a weapon with no recoil and a 100% chance of hitting is one thing. Having to lift a weapon you've never handled before that Sybil has not given you permission to use on a target in an insane Saw-like scenario is completely different. It was a crazy scene with a lot of hard questions and emotions.

You know, cause Psycho-Pass is a complex show about complex people and not whatever the hell idiot-ball-dog-and-pony show this sequel is running. Rolling Eyes
qberr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:07 am Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
I also like how Kamui nonchalantly says about the passengers with 300+ PP. So, either some criminals like to ride on trains or this situation should make some passengers psych so bad, eh? Rolling Eyes
CCs stopped working in the first episode of season 2, when an enforcer casually went over 300 in a few seconds just by having a dominator pointed at him while his wasnt working

the train situation in last episode is a bit iffy but it can be explained as Kirito going trough the passengers until he finds someone who somehow managed to pop 100, then the situation snowballs because people get scared by the exponential zapping and everyone goes 100.
there were 500+ passengers, they could've shown this better but he just needed to trp the first domino piece.
the passengers not reacting (like during the riots in s1) can be excused by dominators being the symbol of Sibyl or some shit.

that, Kitazawa from ep 2, Aoyanagi and the old man from ep4 and that one enforcer with the popped collar in ep6 are the only times CC was working as intended (and Aoyanagi's is questionable).

it seems that getting just a bit excited can grant you a 300 CC in a few seconds, compare that to last season's fatty murderer who killed several people (and was trying to kill Kogami and Akane) and yet still had around 270CC, or the riot civillians, who were going around bashing people's heads off with steel pipes and yet managed a <300 CC, or that one time a 300+ was holding a girl at knife point in a burning building and yet she still was <100
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote
Oh qberr pointed out a narative balck hole in season one. Nice. My friend hated the public killing spree episode of OG PP the most. They are making a movie right'Rolling Eyes' ? By the way the only instance of violence i think is out of place in PP2 is the animal-men nonsense. I understand what they tried to do a bit but it just raised way to many question and had no followup and they should have introduced Tsunemori-obachan earlier. So yes i am behind the puppy slaughter 100% !
Cruelty to animals at a young age is a sign for a future murderer taking flight. Thomas Harris agrees. I am the only one who is having the feeling that he is watching a William Gibson novel ?

I got another one randomly on MU to watch the show now. IG needs to pay me a salary it seem especialy after i update my review a bit and put it on amazon. "Only" an 8/10 but what entertainment ! Im expecting a bit of a letdown for ep.11. The toys need to be put into the box again after all but i would be surprised if we won´t at least get a 3rd ova series when all is said an done. We know who i want to see running the franchise or they could give it to Katsuhiro Otomo. See you in 5 days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
qberr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
are you high?
battlephile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Man, Tougane's face. Truly a picture worth a thousand words.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote
So about Heroic Age i finished just now. Here my amazon/MU review:

A rare good one for Xebec

I watched the anime because of Psycho Pass 2 and my newfound love for series writer Tow Ubukata. A man so talented he can make Xebec un-suck. The series starts a bit slow and generic/confusing but grows into a nice and and well constructed space opera. The art direction is a bit less bland that one would expect of Hisashi Hirai but nothing special. The anime should have been shorter but the journey was worth it. Especially the emotional end but the love story(s) should have deserved more focus. Less identical looking space battles could have helped too but they were at least pretty . So if you want likable characters and a story that reminded me of Yamato/Crest of the Stars or a less confusing Xeno-franchise game this one is good.
7,5/10 and their second best original anime after Martian Successor Nadesico(8/10).

Sorry you couldn´t get into PP2 but one more day and then the "suffering" ends.
If you liked what you saw and want another to the point shonen Action-Thrill check out Akumetsu(Death Note on speed).
Fun fact: The quote about Tow wanting to win the Nobel prize is now gone !
So someone is reading my garbage thoughts'Embarassed'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
qberr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
are you completely sure you're not trolling?
because that really looks like trolling
pretty blatant trolling too

i mean seriously
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
^I don't know, he set the tone for me on page 14 with his "bland action men(or men with vaginas)" post. Trolling or unintentionally offensive.

Also, my inner grammar Nazi wants to cry reading this thread.
qberr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I kinda wonder if this is going to sell as much as cross ange or Shirobako.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
Ok Shirobako looks generic as hell but what has it done wrong and are the Ange sales numbers out ? About the women. I find most characters a bit on the generic "men on a mission" side.
A bit like Attack on Titan(only Levi has character depth on the good side) and i am caught up with the manga. None really represent a gender to me. Not that that is bad but in GitS(not the OG manga) i could at least give basic characterization to Section 9 very early in. This season at least Akane and some of the bad guys stand out to me. Everyone else is just background material or a plot point.
What is actually the point of the franchise ?
S01: A Noire procedural. It´s manga is a Shonen Jump SQ rushed/direct adaptation with tasteless nudity thrown in. Another ones is a school life 4 komma manga'Rolling Eyes'. Then the young adult books which you have(marketing genius) to read because they give the characterization i am missing have sex and violence galore because that is what a non visual medium is about !
S02: A Cyberpunk Thriller. The manga is a shonen adaptation i have not touched yet. The already mentioned Kogami flashback shonen manga is another Noire procedural i found generic.
Movie: A R-15 war movie ? In opens in over 100 theaters ? So what the hell IG but I am getting interested where the franchise is going now.
Ach ja wegen Grammatik willag. Englisch ist "nur" meine Dritte Sprache.
qberr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
shonen
you keep using that word like it means something

anyways, both cross ange and Shirobako have more pre-order points than pp2, are original stories but not sequels, also neither panders to fujoshi (and fujos demonstrated to be a highly effective target audience)
pp2 vol1 sales should be out in a week or so, today's release date

pp is a sci-fi cop show set in a really mild dystopia(some see an utopia instead) with some fancy themes, the cop part might get set aside a bit in the movie.

pp2 is just shitty action
first 2 episodes were nice then it just went "LOOK AT THIS ISN'T IT FUCKED UP?" for around 7 episodes, kinda distracting, the forgettable main villain(i think he's less popular than the goddamn background lesbian at the moment, that takes effort considering he has thrice her screentime and has been the main villain for most of the show) and contrived plot sure don't help either.
qberr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
last episode wasn't bad
spoiler[but Aoyanagi dying was utterly pointless, and Kirito basically won, which is kind of a bummer
at least Gino was awesome, tanking crossbow shots like they're BB bullets
also what's this with people pointing laser guns at each other and then talk for 5 minutes? just shoot goddamnit

but Akane showing she could just 1v1 either of them unarmed was pretty good, those 2 pathetic manchildren were completely at her mercy.

...i'm scared watching the episode with subs might decrease my enjoyment, i didn't understand everything they said, i might've missed some inane shit.]
Chipp12

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, in the end it has actually ended up being a filler season. What a surprise.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
Well, in the end it has actually ended up being a filler season. What a surprise.

spoiler[At Aoyonagi's life nonetheless.] Confused
Chipp12

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Chipp12 wrote:

spoiler[At Aoyonagi's life nonetheless.] Confused

Yeah and Akane's grandmother life, but both of them pretty much didn't have any roly in the previous season so whatever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 27