• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Volume: 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
I'm really glad to see volumes of Tokyo Ghoul and Blue Exorcist making it on the list. Here's to hoping that both series will sell better in 2015!
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Oh Silver Spoon so close to getting a volume to 1 million sales.

Well next year OP, AoT and Kimi will be the only ongoing 1 million+ volume sellers with Naruto over.

Also with how well Terraformers sells I'm surprised the anime bombed so badly with volume 1 barely selling over 1000 copies.

I'm betting on Assassination Classroom joining that set of ongoing 1 million+ volume sellers, the series has had an incredible pace from the start and has more than your usual series lined up along with an anime adaptation to show for it (3DS video game and live action movie all in the beginning of the year).

Terra Formars wasn't an unpopular manga by any means at any point, but the anime adaptation seems to have not resonated with people due to the bland animation/direction and perhaps also the censorship. Given how most adaptations are worse than the source material, cases where the show doesn't spark off but the source thrives shouldn't be as rare as it is.

Niello wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

You know, if I actually liked OP I would be thoroughly ashamed if my fandom were constantly dragged through the mud because a handful of full-of-themselves tools feel superior to others because the shit they like sells more than the shit other people like

I feel just that. It goes without saying that the manga is one of my all time favourites. I'm happy that the manga I like is topping the chart but seeing some fans actually boasting about it arrogantly just feels repulsive.

Ditto. It feels good to see your favourite series going stable so you can expect more adaptations or at the least, no cancellations. It shouldn't be about kicking down other interests.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
It wouldn't have hurt anybody to let that One Piece fan have his time in the sun a little crowing never hurt anyone. It really isn't any different than sporting fans bragging about their home teams.

For me One Piece and Attack on Titan are two very different shows, so I could care less who is on top. All I care about is for these shows to still keep on trucking.

I remember when Madoka Magica was reaching for the stars. For every milestone it made, there would be a bunch of detractors saying "it didn't deserve it", "you are using the wrong sales numbers", and the classic, "the fans are buying multiple copies to falsely inflate the sales numbers".

So I can kinda sympathize with One Piece fans, when they are being told their show is old, has crappy animation, and is on life support; when compared to the bright and shiny Attack on Titan, which is new and frantic in its pacing.

Not saying you are wrong in your opinion on the respective fandoms, just that it couldn't hurt to let either side do a little bit of crowing when they deserve it, especially when we do the same thing for our sport teams and no one bats an eye, only when it is anime do we think it is a problem.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
With Blue Exorcist still being that popular wonder if I'll ever get a remake ala FMA:B that's closer to the manga, the anime started of great but once it got to filler it turned kinda bad. The movie was great though, had a different staff too.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Aikilo wrote:
Minami-Asakura wrote:
One Piece showing who is THE KING.

In fact, AoT sold more than OP for this period
- AoT : 8 695 100
- One Piece : 8 543 430

Just saying...

you do not read the topic or you math is very bad.

1 3,010,801 One Piece 73 Shueisha 2014/03
Eiichiro Oda
2 2,834,558 One Piece 74 Shueisha 2014/06
Eiichiro Oda
3 2,698,071 One Piece 75 Shueisha 2014/09
52 600,024 One Piece 72 Shueisha 2013/11

That's over 9 millions already. just saying

---------------------------

by the way, where is the LN top selling list for 2014?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Not saying you are wrong in your opinion on the respective fandoms, just that it couldn't hurt to let either side do a little bit of crowing when they deserve it, especially when we do the same thing for our sport teams and no one bats an eye, only when it is anime do we think it is a problem.

We don't think it happened with Harry Potter though.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Great to see One Piece on top. Eiichiro Oda deserves it for being able to still keep the story fresh and with great humor and action. Well done! Arrow
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Some people think the Dressrosa arc is dragging too much, but I'm totally loving it so I'm happy One Piece is still on the top, and I do think it deserves it; I'm also enjoying Silver Spoon a lot, so it's nice to see it so high in the ranking as well. ^^

However, while I maybe understand the reasons behind its success, I don't like Attak on Titan. I only saw the anime, though; is the manga much better than it?
At first I didn't like OP either, so I'm wondering if I should give it a second chance...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
pykrete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
If your work gets on that list, it's already doing extremely well.

Unless the live-action Titan movies makes hefty splashes in 2015, it may end up in third place in 2015 cause Haikyuu may pull a Kuroko or another (sports) manga get to 8 million.

It probably won't have a problem staying above 5 million.

As for One Piece, had it been 4 volumes released - it would have been 13-14 million.

Assuming another 4m drop, One Piece will be 8m (3 vols.) to 10m (4). If still just 3 volumes, it's also within striking range of a sports manga.

Razz If both OP and AOT are dethroned by a sports manga in 2015 - I want ring-side seats to this event.
passer by

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
Assassination Classroom will have a boost on sales, wish it'll be on par with AoT.

and

There's a lot of cry babies in this thread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2