• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Ho-ho-hangover

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
ADV later did the same thing with their "pop-up" notes for Excel Saga

As a point of interest, if you remember the "jiggle counter", it was a test case for the vidnotes.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
And also because of licensing deals:
They showed Zoids because it was easy to localize for the kiddy afternoons, and then had to take Hamtaro for the youngsters as part of the package--these things always happen in threes--because what they really wanted out of the licensing package was...darn, can't remember, was it Case Closed or InuYasha? Confused This was back in the 00's, can't remember. Point is, to take one from Column A, they had to take two from Column B.

I thought block-booking was outlawed way back in 1948.

Anime is still licensed in packages, although not as much as in the boom days. It wasn't uncommon for a bunch of titles to be announced together from the same licensor where one was a surefire hit, a couple were OK and one was "why?".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Is that different from block booking though? I suppose the decision made in United States v. Paramount Pictures, Inc. was specific to movie theaters.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply about TVs Justin... though I don't know that I could do the 120" screen in my tiny little apartment Twisted Evil but maybe a 55" 4k will do the trick, we'll see.
Amusingly, I watched a buncha Christmas eps over the holidays, and was saddened at how even stuff that seemed quite sharp like say RahXephon ep. 8 was not as sharp as I remember. I'll be curious how such things look when I get a fancier TV, than my old behemoth CRT. It'd be amazing if they'd clean RahX up and put out a blue-ray, but I have a doubt about that happening this many years later.

Funnily enough I watched something from youTube the other day on my TV, through my bluray interface [which is klugey and a pain]. It look pretty good on the set {a 10 yr old Sharp 32" bottom of the line}... but on my computer with a much better monitor, looked like crud.

I guess sometimes newer/fancier doesn't help much.

Reminds me of older days though, when I would jump though flaming hoops just to watch one ep of a show, even if it was loaded poorly, 'because I just HAD to see it.

Kinda nostalgic. Shows are grabbing me less an less like that as time goes on.

Anyhow belated thanks for the info.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5