• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm intrigued by how my own attitudes are coloring my perception of events. My own disdain, even contempt, for nationalism, especially military nationalism, makes it impossible for me to have any real sympathy with Gun-tea or the rest of the bloodthirsty 'OUR KINGDOM MUST BE STRONG HURR DEE HURR" chest-thumping. In this case, the regressive streak running through Shinzō Abe, among others, makes me particularly suspicious while my own profound disenchantment with American adventurism and military fetishism, besides being the source of my sentiments, actually makes it all a little uncomfortable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

Soo-Won is not a bad watch, but he does feel rather boring as apposed to the gang, it feels more fulfilling when Yona pulls off that mix between being goofy and being determined. Without actually seeing something to justify Soo-Won did, I don't know if I can enjoy him.

Gun-Tea is also interesting, but his rather blind joy of real battle shows him as arrogant that damaged his economy.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:08 am Reply with quote
I liked the basic elements of the last two episodes and quite enjoyed them, but the pacing was too slow. Especially at the end of this episode, where general Tea (har har) spoiler[had to give a speach to himself about Su-won's motives and deeds...] I don't know if that was meant to insult general Tea's intelligence or ours. We get it already, spoiler[the king plotted the whole thing!]

Su-won's evil/serious/whatever glares were quite sexy. Sha-ba-da-doo.

Looking forward to the green dragon.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
I also find Soo-won a good change of scenery. Yona's adventure has been quite repetitive for a while. It's the same pattern of find the dragon, convince the dragon or solve the dragon's problems, dragon joins the group etc. A short break from Yona helps me, atleast, to regain my interest for* her.

*for, in, towards? I don't know
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:38 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Without actually seeing something to justify Soo-Won did, I don't know if I can enjoy him.

Just something to think about: Are you/everyone else in this thread expecting and/or hoping that at some point, we will reach a point in the series where Yona will kill Soo-won in revenge for her father and take the throne? And if so, how would her doing so be any different, or more justified, than Soo-won killing King Il in revenge for his father and taking the throne? (After all, Soo-won was technically the right heir to the throne, since his father was Il's older brother.)

Beyond a lack of evidence, that is. While we know that Yona has undeniable evidence that Soo-won killed her father, we don't know that Soo-won doesn't have that evidence. For all we know, little Soo-won was hiding behind the curtains when Il killed his father. (Or would just some explanation of why he believes Il killed his father be enough justification for people?)

Full disclosure: Soo-won is my second favorite character, I may have a bias in this analysis.

A Mystery wrote:

Okay, this made me laugh. Especially since the green dragon is voiced by the same voice actor as Sha-ba-da-doo.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
While I agree that we need to return to Soo-Won to see what's going on there, I'm not a huge fan of taking an entire episode where we don't see Yona et all at all. The episode previous, I think they did a 50-50 thing which I much prefer (although I wouldn't want that all the time either, but if we absolutely have to be brought up to speed, that's better).

The other thing that annoyed me about the latest bout of Soo-Won is that it didn't really tell me anything new about the guy. I am intrigued by what his damage is, but here we are 16 episodes in and I don't feel I understand him any more than I did at the beginning. Let's start to see some something more substantial beyond, "oh look he acts like a goof but he's actually, like, super-sharp!"

Last edited by Blood- on Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:02 am; edited 2 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Without actually seeing something to justify Soo-Won did, I don't know if I can enjoy him.

Just something to think about: Are you/everyone else in this thread expecting and/or hoping that at some point, we will reach a point in the series where Yona will kill Soo-won in revenge for her father and take the throne?

I think that he should answer for his crime, but I don't think that killing him would be the answer. He might even be a good choice to solve some things in the kingdom, but what he has done including trying to hunt down Yona are things that he can't just pretend to smile innocently about. If he can his own blood and turn his back of the heavens, then he should face that.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:

A Mystery wrote:

Okay, this made me laugh. Especially since the green dragon is voiced by the same voice actor as Sha-ba-da-doo.

He is?! I'm looking forward to the Green Dragon twice as much now! Sexiest reverse harem ever!
My main thought about this ep was that it could've been done in half the time and then we could have gone back to Green Dragon hunting. I get the point that Soo Won isn't as vacuous as he pretends to be and he has the best interests of his people in mind, with solid plans to help them. I do think he's an interesting character in his many shades of gray, and he's definitely not a straight evil villain, although I'm not convinced that he's not being manipulated or at least unduly influenced by more nefarious power grabbers. Did anyone else think the war game's rules were needlessly complicated, though? It would have been interesting if they explained them better (I got the "kings can't attack commoners but commoners can kill a king," idea, though).
lys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbXTfrDueNw
For the impatient who are finding it hard to wait for Tuesday! This is a new promo-video for the series, mixing some footage from the first 16 episodes (for anyone who needed to relive the trauma of BETRAYAL in ep 1-2) and a few scenes from the upcoming!! Green dragon! Pirates! Hak! (always Hak♥) Eeeee~
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 17:
Yay, it's back with Yona and the adventurers again!

Thought this episode was actually pretty interesting with focus on spoiler[this village along with the pirate gimmick. Hopefully we'll see more development with the other characters but this seems to focus a bit more even on Jae-ha for now. We'll see his potentials soon as this series goes on most likely. And lol, nice fans Hak.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
As expected I adore the Green Dragon

I also like how each of the 3 dragons have had very different approaches to their destiny. The White Dragon accepted with no question, the Blue Dragon was unaware of it, and the Green Dragon is trying to avoid it.

But as the Green Dragon is trying to find Hak he is unknowingly inviting that destiny in.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Looks like our resident bishonen genius is going to have some competition for the limelight. Smile When he first told Hak how beautiful he was, I imagined Hak thinking, "Sorry, I've already got one of those." Should be interesting when those two meet.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
There are no words to describe the Green Dragon's awesomeness.

He's so cool, he should have his own show.

Journeying the world with Hak.

Liked the grandma too.

I liked everything.

Best episode.

Yay.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Green dragon is definitely my favourite dragon. And was Yona sandwiched between Hak and White dragon?

I feel as if the quality has dropped a tiny bit or something. The characters look weird...ish at times. Is it just me? Am I imagining things?
lys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I feel as if the quality has dropped a tiny bit or something. The characters look weird...ish at times. Is it just me? Am I imagining things?

I also thought characters looked a little off this episode, but I figure that sort of thing happens in every anime, so whatever... (it is one reason I prefer manga, since a single artist's work is generally pretty consistent.)

They skipped a page of the manga in this chapter!!! (yes, one whole page, haha.) It was right after Yona's "Even Hak has times he wants to..." line, and spoiler[Yun poses the question of what she'd do if Hak did find himself a girl. Kija is quick to assure her that with himself, Shin-ah, and soon the green dragon, Hak's presence is quite superfluous! (which sparks a retaliatory "oops my hand slipped" bag thrown at Kija's head, which devolves into the usual showdown before Hak suddenly pulls everyone into the alley.)]

In other news, today is Mizuho Kusanagi's birthday!! Hurrah, hurrah!

I wasn't entirely certain if this should be spoiler-tagged or not, but did so just in case someone didn't want to know anything about the manga. --willag
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 30