• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Maria the Virgin Witch

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
The difference between the woman and the knight is that the knight gets agency and she doesn't. She is presented basically as this kind of loose woman who is easily seduced by Galfa (who seems like a pretty dirty, crude guy who's just constantly out having sex with prostitutes - you wouldn't think a woman of higher standing would be so easily transformed into just another of his prostitutes). After she has sex with him, she becomes a non-actor and disappears completely after the fight. ...That is a lot different than the woman, who is treated as just another of Galfa's quick lays.

What you just wrote was far more condemning of her than the series was. Her agency was in choosing to sleep with him when he approached her. In a society where she was probably given to the knight as a status reward or power-brokering, rather than choosing him for herself, choosing Galfa was an act of defiance. It doesn't make her a "quick lay." As was already mentioned, she disappears because she got caught and that was the consequence of her choice in this society, especially after her "protector" committed suicide and left her essentially unmarriagable. I don't know what else you would have had them do with her character, but anything else (aside from suicide herself perhaps) would have been false to the setting and beyond the scope of her inclusion in the narrative. That is, to follow her further would have necessitated turning her into a main character to do her justice.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:

In terms of what actions she does, yes, she cannot do anything because she's not allowed to, it's an obligated passive character, all the society treats her like an object without opinion... Maybe I'm reading too deep and I get what you mean (she has very little focus), but imo it has enough context about how she and the knight are treated and the focus of the episode, so it worked for me enough, that was the feeling I got with that episode. But different strokes I guess.

This is somewhat a response to both you and Gina, but I'll respond a bit more to Gina below. I think you guys are not fully understanding my point. You are thinking I am saying that this is somehow an improper use of a character to treat the woman in question in this way. I'm not saying that. I'm only talking about the effect of what they did with the character. This is not a judgement of "You can't execute a plot in that manner! It's not allowed!" That is not my critique. I am simply saying that the effect of this particular part of the story's writing was to objectify the woman in question. I am discussing that particular part in the context of a larger discussion about the show objectifying women. Again, this is not a judgment call on whether or not the show can do that or what should be in its place. I am sure all of us could come up with alternatives but I'm really only talking about the fact that the woman in question was objectified.

justsomeaccount, you seem to agree with me that she was objectified but you are arguing that it worked in the context of how that story element was playing out. I.e. yes she was objectified, but it wasn't improper for the show to do that because of the circumstances surrounding the situation. Ok, I understand that argument and it is a good argument to make. I think that is a separate debate we could have about this show, i.e., whether the way it objectifies women is effective or serves some purpose as far as telling a good story. That's an interesting question but all I've been talking about so far is that the show does objectify women, and I think the way they decided to rape Maria in such a business-like fashion was more evidence of that (in addition to the way the woman was treated in the knight duel episode).

justsomeaccount wrote:

The sympathy for Galfa comes from his scenes before, not this one. It was when Galfa was drunk and telling his dreams, when he thanked Joseph's concern for him when he was on the edge, when he wanted to pay back Joseph no matter what because that's the way it works in the mercenary world and how to live in it, how Maria's actions basically make him have the blame for everything, etc. He has both good and bad qualities, and that's where some audience can sympathize with him despite not being a good fella. Back then, not with the discussion of the rape or when he killed his boss.

I don't think the scenes you are referring to make Galfa very sympathetic.

When he was drunk and talking about his dreams, I believe it was right after he was going around sleeping with a bunch of prostitutes (or right before).

He is shown to be a man with pretty much no morals. Even the woman he seems to keep by his side is treated as just some lowly wench. At some point in the most recent episode when she tries to talk as if they are in a relationship, he puts her down with a joke about how she's trying to act like his wife.

The "dreams" he talked about, if I recall, was of him becoming some kind of king, and I believe he said something about stepping on anyone who gets in his way.

He acknowledged that Joseph cared about him, but his desire to pay him back was shown to be more about his own personal pride rather than genuine affection. He wants to be a king and doesn't want to owe favors to anyone.

When his commander gets pissed off about him deciding to pull his mercenaries off from their guard duty to go pillage a bunch of dead knights from the other side, he kills his commander to stop him from punishing him for it. It was right after that that his arm gets ripped off by a passing boulder. His injury was essentially karmic justice. He killed a man in cold blood and lost his arm as a result. Plus, if he and his men hadn't been so greedy, they would have stayed on guard duty and none of the bad things would have happened to him in the first place.

Then he enters into a deal with a shady monk to rape an innocent girl just to get her out of the way.

I don't see how his story so far makes him sympathetic. The only minimally redeeming thing he has done thus far was giving out his prize money from the fight to his fellow mercenaries, though we are never given much insight into the reasons or impact of that decision, so I didn't think too much of it.

I won't argue against him being a human being, but he is a very very bad human being with pretty much no morals. He will do whatever it takes at the given moment to further his own interests, and seems to have no qualms about raping a naive girl who just wants to stop people from dying. If you want to call that evil or not I suppose it is up to your interpretation, but like I said, this debate is more about whether these actions are contributing to objectification of Maria and other women.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

What you just wrote was far more condemning of her than the series was. Her agency was in choosing to sleep with him when he approached her. In a society where she was probably given to the knight as a status reward or power-brokering, rather than choosing him for herself, choosing Galfa was an act of defiance. It doesn't make her a "quick lay." As was already mentioned, she disappears because she got caught and that was the consequence of her choice in this society, especially after her "protector" committed suicide and left her essentially unmarriagable. I don't know what else you would have had them do with her character, but anything else (aside from suicide herself perhaps) would have been false to the setting and beyond the scope of her inclusion in the narrative. That is, to follow her further would have necessitated turning her into a main character to do her justice.

So, the best agency a woman can hope for in this show is to rebel against an arranged marriage by sleeping with a drunk, immoral man, who gives her absolutely no value and forgets her the moment she's out of sight? That is what you call agency? I'm sorry, but that is just so weak imo. If that's the best women have to hope for then we have even less imagination than I thought. Like I said earlier, my point is not to say whether the show was allowed to do that with that woman. We could think of different ways she could have been utilized. The point is only to say she was objectified, which she was. Having the freedom to sleep with an unscrupulous man is not enough agency to overcome her objectification in this instance, and I think makes it even worse, as it reinforces her identity as a sexual object.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

So, the best agency a woman can hope for in this show is to rebel against an arranged marriage by sleeping with a drunk, immoral man, who gives her absolutely no value and forgets her the moment she's out of sight?

In the context of this story, yes. That's supposed to be the point. This is a world where women do not have power. Witches have power, but they are damned heretics.

You've made your point about this over and over but it basically boils down to the same thing repeatedly. You like hard lines of definition between good and evil in stories, as directly stated by some authorial voice in the narrative. In terms of female characters, you like strong women to show their agency by acting out in admirable, victorious ways over any type of adversity, even if it's rape attempts enacted by pure evil monsters, this type of writing suits you better than more nuanced portrayals of rape because it tells you definitively where everyone stands. You're a big fan of Akame ga Kill! and it has a lot of writing like that. And that's fine! But I don't think you're going to convince anybody on this one, and when it comes to a tender topic like rape, I'm preeeeeeetty exhausted with having to go into threads and tell dude posters that maybe they don't have to talk like they have the answers on how it should and shouldn't be portrayed all the time...especially when they're usually arguing with women, 'cause there are multiple women trying to confront your stance on this one, and then it just gets ugly and nobody's happy, and this is a nice thread where everyone should be welcome and comfortable, dangit.

It's just an "agree to disagree" point, and there's no sense in making the thread a huge drag because of it, so maybe we should just drop the subject. It's clearly run its course.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I don't think the scenes you are referring to make Galfa very sympathetic.

That particular night he was just drinking with Joseph. And even then, sleeping with prostitutes is inmediately bad?

Before killing the commander he and she interacted very briefly as comrades, and she was who made Galfa feel inmediately guilty (both because of her judging him and because he doesn't want to be accused [he's not a good fella as I said, but not totally rotten]). In this episode, have in mind both know what Galfa did to the commander and she is keeping the secret in a mischievous way allowing Galfa to be where he is, so they being together is more of a mutual interest and manipulation. It doesn't look either that Galfa is threating her or anything.

That's classical "I don't want to be in this low life, I want to have a better life" dream, and the step thing is "I will advance in my dream no matter what I won't give up". A dreaming heart that wishes to live better than his miserable life is sympathetic.

Oh yes, it's his personal pride, but that by itself is an internal moral pride, and it comes from his lifestyle (he has to pay his own mercenaries in other to help them a bit in the fight for example) so it's a little sad to see him with this mindset. But he likes Joseph and they are fine spending time with each other despite their differences.

The war stuff I already said it was his reprehensible action, and while it wasn't sympathetic at all, you can see a lot of reasons that lead him to take that choice (Maria's fustration, desperation and tension of the moment, being blamed about all this even though technically wasn't his fault, being insulted as a moor, temptation of killing him will make him avoid all that, etc.). And I feel it's unfair to say they are scum and greedy just because of that when with their lifestyle they are basically poor and Maria's intervertion basically ruins their life, it's an understandable position. They're not evil or greedy for the sake of it, that's what the show tries to show.

That's when all his frustration and motivation and hate is going to shape into a reprehensible action. Again, not sympathetic, but you get where he's coming from, and with all the other options, yes, I found him sympathetic enough before these last actions, and even then, he's not being cartoonishly evil. He wasn't sympathetic in a "I'm actually a selfless super loving caring for other people" person, but in more subtle ways that feel more like a real person. Not trying to convince you, just showing there are reasons for the audience to get a little behind his character.

(The money he gave to the mercenaries was so they would support him in the fight by humilliating the knight and having a one-on-one fight without the horse. That's where his "pay back" philosophy comes from)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
So, the best agency a woman can hope for in this show is to rebel against an arranged marriage by sleeping with a drunk, immoral man, who gives her absolutely no value and forgets her the moment she's out of sight? That is what you call agency? I'm sorry, but that is just so weak imo. If that's the best women have to hope for then we have even less imagination than I thought. ... Having the freedom to sleep with an unscrupulous man is not enough agency to overcome her objectification in this instance, and I think makes it even worse, as it reinforces her identity as a sexual object.

It's you who's viewing her as a sex object, not the series. It goes without saying that the male characters view her as an object, but I don't think that's what we're arguing, is it?

Look at the terminology you've used to describe her: "loose woman who is easily seduced," "transformed into just another of his prostitutes," "another of Galfa's quick lays." Those are your words and interpretation of what we were shown, not the writers'. And you view her that way because she chose not to remain chastely faithful to the knight who she obviously didn't love, and instead chose a sexual liaison to fulfill her own sexual needs, in a society where she's basically not supposed to have any. Yes, that's agency, almost the only kind available to her. And she paid the price for exercising it.

Whether you realize it or not, you're judging her much more harshly for one indiscretion than the men who sleep around at will. Though you've not been kind to Galfa's morality, you haven't yet reduced him to being a "quick lay." You reserved that for all the women he's slept with.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

So, the best agency a woman can hope for in this show is to rebel against an arranged marriage by sleeping with a drunk, immoral man, who gives her absolutely no value and forgets her the moment she's out of sight?

In the context of this story, yes. That's supposed to be the point. This is a world where women do not have power. Witches have power, but they are damned heretics.

Again, so you agree that she's being objectified but you just think it suits the purposes of the story that's being told here. If that's your point, then we don't have to argue about whether or not there is objectification going on. The discussion can be about whether it is effective or appropriate. Is Maria the Virgin Witch using objectification of women in a way that is enlightening or is it using it in a crude manner that tells a more tawdry story? That's a separate debate.

Quote:
and when it comes to a tender topic like rape, I'm preeeeeeetty exhausted with having to go into threads and tell dude posters that maybe they don't have to talk like they have the answers on how it should and shouldn't be portrayed all the time...especially when they're usually arguing with women, 'cause there are multiple women trying to confront your stance on this one, and then it just gets ugly and nobody's happy, and this is a nice thread where everyone should be welcome and comfortable, dangit.

I never think it is a good method of argumentation to attack the person of the arguer or presume things about them (including gender) and use that as some way of trying to delegitimize the points they are making.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
My word... people are reading a lot into this show. Perhaps too much? I kind of doubt that the production crew behind this are actually thinking about these things in such depth (unlike Yurikuma Arashi, which is 100% about the subtexts).

At the end of the day, this show is historical fiction. I'd also point out that a mark of good historical fiction is a refusal to map modern morality onto previous ages. There's no value - intellectual or moral - in pointing at the mores of a previous era and saying "look how unenlightened they are, aren't we glad we're all better people than that now". The best historical fiction invites us into the minds of people who think very differently than we do and asks us to see their world (generally a harsher, nastier place than our own) from their perspective. I know it's not actual historical fiction, but rather alternate history/fantasy, but one of the reasons that Song of Ice & Fire/Game of Thrones makes such an impact is that it does just that.

The show is doing a mixed job on this score. The world in general seems to be operating on the right rules and beliefs for the age (though it actually softens the climate of religious oppression quite a bit compared to historical records). Maria herself comes over as a bundle of 21st century attitudes dropped into a different age, but that's ok, as the setup of the show puts her as an outsider anyway.

I'd also point out that everybody involved in these discussions is doing so in a text-based medium from behind a screen. Assumptions about the gender or other personal characteristics of people posting here and what that might mean for what they have to say are therefore dangerous. I remember when voice-communications suddenly became a real thing in my World of Warcraft raid guild (mid-Burning Crusade era) - guild members who everybody had long believed were female turned out to be male - and vice versa. Arguing ad hominem on the internet is inherantly dangerous because you generally don't know who (or what) the hominem you're talking to actually is.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Again, so you agree that she's being objectified but

Nope. She's not being objectified. She is acting out in a very small way against a system that leaves her no options, and she faces unjust consequences for it. That's not what the word objectifies means or has ever meant. I don't know how many different ways I can tell you "that's not what that word means," but it seems more and more like a big fat waste of my time, so I'll leave it at that.

Besides, there are about three or four people directly telling you that's not what that word means, for several pages. You don't agree. That's all there is or ever was to this argument. Whatever. It would be really great if you just dropped it before I have to make babysitting rules for the thread again. I don't like babysitting rules. They suck. Cut the soapboxing. It's against the rules.

Quote:
I never think it is a good method of argumentation to attack the person of the arguer or presume things about them (including gender) and use that as some way of trying to delegitimize the points they are making.

Literally all I said was, "You are a male poster, several people arguing with you are female posters. The topic is the objectification of women. Maybe take that into account." That is a fact followed by an opinion on that fact. It's not an attack and can't be remotely construed as one. Oy gevalt.

Rogueywon wrote:
Arguing ad hominem on the internet is inherantly dangerous because you generally don't know who (or what) the hominem you're talking to actually is.

I wouldn't bring it up if it wasn't details I knew for a fact based on past interactions with the posters in question. I'm not guessing anyone's gender, I'm stating things I know from past altercations. You're right that it shouldn't be relevant at all, except everybody decided they wanted to discuss gender issues today, and when that happens, yeah, it's extremely relevant.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Rogueywon wrote:
Arguing ad hominem on the internet is inherantly dangerous because you generally don't know who (or what) the hominem you're talking to actually is.

I wouldn't bring it up if it wasn't details I knew for a fact based on past interactions with the posters in question. I'm not guessing anyone's gender, I'm stating things I know from past altercations. You're right that it shouldn't be relevant at all, except everybody decided they wanted to discuss gender issues today, and when that happens, yeah, it's extremely relevant.

I've only been on these forums a few days, though, and you seem to bring it up a LOT. And is it really that relevant? I mean, you could flip some things around the other way. Deaths in warfare (a big part of this show) tend to fall heavily on male shoulders. After WW2, the male:female population ratio in some regions of Germany and Japan fell to 40:60 because of deaths in battle and long-term captivity (read: Gulags), despite the impacts of the Allied strategic bombing campaigns, which didn't discriminate by gender, and the Soviet occupation, which did (in a horrible way). We have really good population data for some parts of Germany - the Nazis did like their records. We don't have the population data of sufficient quality to make the same assessments for WW1, but what we do have would suggest that in the UK, France and Germany, the impacts were of a similar scale - men died (often horribly) in vastly disproportionate numbers. Does that mean that female voices on depictions of battle or warfare should matter less? I'd hope not, but by your logic...

Seriously, address the arguments, not the people making them. Anything else is a failure of basic civility.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Nope. She's not being objectified. She is acting out in a very small way against a system that leaves her no options, and she faces unjust consequences for it. That's not what the word objectifies means or has ever meant. I don't know how many different ways I can tell you "that's not what that word means," but it seems more and more like a big fat waste of my time, so I'll leave it at that.

I already put a definition of objectification in the thread. I'll link it again for easy viewing. I included all of the factors this time because more of them are relevant here.

Wikipedia wrote:

Objectification:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In social philosophy, objectification means treating a person as a thing...

According to the philosopher Martha Nussbaum, a person might be objectified if one or a selection of the following properties are adhered to:

Instrumentality - as a tool for another's purposes: "The objectifier treats the object as a tool of his or her purposes"

Denial of Autonomy - as if lacking in agency or self-determination: "The objectifier treats the object as lacking in autonomy and self-determination"

Inertness - as if without action: "The objectifier treats the object as lacking in agency, and perhaps also in activity"

Fungibility - as if interchangeable: "The objectifier treats the object as interchangeable (a) with other objects of the same type, and/or (b) with objects of other types"

Violability - as if permissible to damage or destroy (Violence): "The objectifier treats the object as lacking in boundary integrity, as something that it is permissible to break up, smash, break into"

Ownership - as if owned by another: "The objectifier treats the object as something that is owned by another, can be bought or sold, etc"

Denial of Subjectivity - as if there is no need for concern for their feelings and experiences: "The objectifier treats the object as something whose experience and feelings (if any) need not be taken into account"

The way that particular character was treated fits the definition. I'll just go over some of the obvious ones. She was used as a tool for another's purposes, whether you want to look at it from the in-narrative perspective or the beyond the 4th wall perspective. Beyond the 4th wall, she was used as a sex object purely to create a duel between Galfa and the knight. This is why she disappeared immediately after the fight was over. In narrative, she was a short term sexual encounter for Galfa, an important character. He had no intention of interacting with her beyond that quick sexual encounter. She was also mostly denied autonomy. Again, if you want to put on a pedestal the fact that her only autonomy was to have a one night stand with an unscrupulous, violent and selfish guy, then fine. You can put that on a pedestal as her great autonomy. I don't think that is any real measure of freedom, and after she had that encounter, she was put back down and then shuffled off to who-knows-where. So again, her autonomy was denied in the end. It would be pretty easy to say she was fairly fungible due to her extremely brief time in the story. She had zero lasting impression other than the fact that her having sex with Galfa caused a duel. She could have been replaced with any woman as long as she had the quality of being betrothed to that knight. Ownership is probably the most obvious. She was essentially owned by the knight she was betrothed to. And denial of subjectivity is also obvious. No one cares about what her feelings are about the situation, and we in the audience are never really given a window into that. She's shuffled off into the void and we never see anything about her again.

Quote:

Besides, there are about three or four people directly telling you that's not what that word means, for several pages. You don't agree. That's all there is or ever was to this argument. Whatever. It would be really great if you just dropped it before I have to make babysitting rules for the thread again. I don't like babysitting rules. They suck. Cut the soapboxing. It's against the rules.

I'm not the one breaking rules here. In fact I'm pretty sure you are the only one who is with the ad hominems. And if you want to claim the word doesn't mean the things that are shown in that Wikipedia entry, be my guest. You can believe or disbelieve whatever you want. Everyone has that right. I won't bash anyone for disbelieving those definitions.

Quote:

Literally all I said was, "You are a male poster, several people arguing with you are female posters. The topic is the objectification of women. Maybe take that into account." That is a fact followed by an opinion on that fact. It's not an attack and can't be remotely construed as one.

You are assuming things about my gender and trying to use that to de-legitimize my arguments. You seem to think it is totally cool to do that. I don't. When posters respond to your reviews and say that your gender somehow makes your opinion de-legitimized, I always defend you. I've had people assume things about my gender before in the forums and try to use that to say that my opinion doesn't matter or has less merit. (That's the primary reason I don't talk about my gender in the forums.) It offends me deeply, and I will never accept it. I think that once people resort to that kind of stuff, it totally breaks down all possibility for having civilized debate. Everything starts to become about personal attacks. I made the same complaint when people were trying to use presumptions about people's race in discussion about Terraformars to try and say their opinions don't count. I'm sorry but I just won't stand for it in any context.

JesuOtaku wrote:

Rogueywon wrote:

I don't know what interactions you are referring to, but I've never said to you what my gender is. And again, it should never be used to try and claim someone's opinion has less value. I don't have a problem with people talking about their personal experiences in regard to a subject. That's different. But when you use another person's gender or any other measure of identity to say their opinion matters less, I don't think it's right.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
To lighten up the mood a bit, here's a fun Guido Reni 1636 picture I've just found about Satan and other known friend of us.

I personally couldn't help but laugh, especially when in the show was such a cool and integrated scene Laughing
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else catch when Galfa talked to his lady friend that it implied he was gay and in love with Joseph?
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
And perhaps to lighten the mood a bit more -- or to at least change the subject -- does anyone else think that "Maria 00" would be an appropriately inappropriate unofficial title for this anime, considering at least one theme it has in common with a certain other anime?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku suggested earlier stepping away from these issues about rape and objectification because it was bogging the thread down, but apparently that wasn't a strong enough statement for people to take it to heart. So now I'm mandating a moratorium on the discussion of objectification in this thread, at least until the next episode airs.

Last edited by Key on Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:

Also, episode 8 marks a break with the historical realism that the show has gone with for its non-magical elements so far. The depiction of medicine is completely wrong, both in its effectiveness and in how it is administered. I'd accepted that a witch's medicine could sit outside those rules because of magic (the witches have, so far, sat alone outside the "realistic" world). But given that a major point of the series is that the Church doesn't actually have magic itself, the Bishop's medicine should have no such power.

Also, Galfa's prosthetic arm is centuries before its time. He's also back on his feet much, much quicker than somebody who has lost a major limb would have been with the medicine at the time (or indeed, with modern medicine).

I have a feeling that the Church might have quietly gotten some of those medicines from Edwina (or another witch) through intermediaries. It's just speculation, but a couple of scenes have led me to believe this is entirely possible and makes sense in context.

Rogueywon wrote:
And if Martha's medicine is on dubious historical grounds, then Galfa being fitted with a modern prosthetic and being back on his feet within a few days of losing an arm is much, much worse. At the very least, he would have faced a lengthy struggle against infection. The whole weaponised-prosthetic thing felt more in keeping with Full Metal Alchemist or something than this show. I was disappointed (not a criticism of FMA, which never tries to set itself within real-world rules in the same way Maria has).

I think you're wrong about this. He's holding a knife with it, but it's not internally "weaponized" at all. The prosthetic arm isn't that different from what was historically possible only a few decades after the events of the series. In that sense, it's not breaking realism too much. Just bending it around a little.

For instance, take a look at this example (and check the pictures if you want):

Quote:
In 1504, Berlichingen and his company fought for Albert IV, Duke of Bavaria. During the siege of the city of Landshut, he lost his right arm when enemy cannon fire forced his sword against him. He had two mechanical prosthetic iron replacements made, which are today on display at the Jagsthausen Castle. The second, more famous prosthetic hand was capable of holding objects from a shield or reins to a feather pen. In spite of this injury, Berlichingen continued his military activities. In the subsequent years he was involved in numerous feuds, both of his own and in support of friends and employers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Götz_von_Berlichingen

Neither this nor what Galfa is using in the show give me the impression of being up to the standards of modern prosthetics, let alone a FMA-style replacement limb.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 24