• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Zest for Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
Hey now, I didn't make fun of character names this time around! And they're pretty normal fantasy names in Zesitira, too.

I think the sci-fantasy vocabulary is a tradition for many Tales games, and it's a symbol of how they tend to wrap themselves too tightly in mystical concepts toward the end. It's like Final Fantasy's predilection for crystals and people named Cid.

Sure, this time around, but I'll be watching you for potential future incidents, you Gina Lash. XD

I'm curious, why do you see it as "too tightly"? The characters don't obsess over the concept. It's just how their worlds are structured. You say mystical, but a lot of it has been technology in the last handful of releases.
se37

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
se37 wrote:

The only main "problem" Zestiria had was the fans crying about Alisha is not a main member of the party and the awful DLC they had for her. From what my sister told me (who has played the game and lurks on Japanese forums), all it was that a bunch of fanboys and otaku's got upset that she was in the promotional art and not a full playable character. I'm really hope that it isn't a half-game like Xillia was.

I'm curious. How was Alisha handled in the story? If she was still important in the grand scheme of things or pulled the "traitor" card found in most Tales series, then yeah I can see their reactions to be silly. If they shoved her aside sloppily, then I can see where they come from.

spoiler[From what I've heard, she leaves on her own after a while because she had to borrow Sorey's power to see the Seraphim, which was having a bad effect on him, plus she had her own goal of reforming the kingdom, and it required her to split up with the party(why, I guess we'll see).]

This whole Alisha thing should be considered a spoiler, but I guess not anymore. <.<

Whatever this game does, I'd say decide it's quality on your own, ignoring the more intense reactions to it.

With almost all gaming news sites talking about Alisha DLC and her status isn't really a spoiler thanks to them. It has become close to "It's his sled" status now.

spoiler[Throughout the game, Alisha is a temp character as she is never in the party all that much to begin with since she leaves all the time. You could say that she is like Flynn from ToV, which doesn't make sense with how the whole thing started anyway since other games have done this before with Richard in ToG & Flynn in ToV. You could also take into account Kratos from ToS depending on which ending. Granted, they later on got upgraded ports and fully playable since Namco is famous in doing updated re-releases. Even still, Flynn in the PS3 version is still like Alisha except for the final part.

Once you can start merging with the spirits you really start to notice how much of a power difference there is between the other characters and her. Plus the game battle system is not built around her later on. The DLC SHOWS this when she is always dying in battle.]

Last edited by se37 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
You said you'd stop making those damn 4Kids jokes...
Nerroth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I recall a note from an earlier interview with someone at Falcom which said something along the lines of Tokyo Xanadu being developed by a newer (or at least younger) development team than their other in-development titles - apparently this group wanted to try and push things in a new (to the company) direction, hence the contemporary setting.

Given that it is tantamount to a new IP (or so it seems at this point in time), perhaps XSEED may be open to having TX jump the queue?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Say, didn't Game Arts help with Super Smash Bros. Brawl? And that was the reason why they got so many composers from Project Sylpheed?

Also, something I think is worth pointing out is that, according to the April 17th, 2015 Los Angeles Times, Las Vegas is seeing a decline in tourists who visit Vegas to gamble. Rather, there's been an increase (and a greater one than the decline in gambling) in tourists who go there for events, attractions, and competitions. Conventions and expositions now make up the lion's share of Vegas tourism.

One more thing I should say: The second pack of DLC for Mario Kart 8 comes out this week. The one with the Animal Crossing stuff. Can't wait to play as Isabelle.

Via_01 wrote:
And about visual novels (not just otome)... I consider them games because they are an interactive piece of software that requires of player input to further advance a story, and the player can affect the outcome with his choices,
so it's technically a game... Just technically. It simply doesn’t fall on any other category.

The way I see it, a game needs to have at least three things: Rules, a lose condition (but not necessarily a win condition), and at least one player. Visual novels commonly have all three of those, so they'd be games. (I know a few don't have lose conditions though--if all you're doing is reading a story and picking decisions, none of which would cause the story to end without a conclusion, then it's not a game.)

Is Snakes and Ladders a game? By my definition, yes. But I've met some people who'd say no, as you don't have any real choice in the game. However, most people would call it a board game without a second thought.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
Minor errata, Good Old Games has been officially re-branded as GOG.com. I would also like to point out that it has been over ten years since the original PS2 release of Ys VI.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
B00m23 wrote:
Guile wrote:

Visual novels are more games than those Tellgame adventure games at least. Your choices and decisions in visual novels matter and there's multiple different routes and endings to end up in, just like one of those old choose your own adventure books. At least as far as Walking Dead is concerned the ending was always the same and it was just a choice of "Do you want this character to die now or do you want them to die later?" which seemed pretty weak. If those games are considered games, then visual novels definitely should be considered games as they have more consequences.

Like I said, I simply don't consider something that consists solely of reading to be a game. It's my distinction, and I understand that many will disagree with me. But, can it really be argued that Umineko and Higurashi are games? Both of those titles feature zero choices, and only reading. Many people describe their experience with these titles as "playing"; which, again, is very odd for me to read/hear. But, whatever.

It's literature. That's why visual novel is an apt name. Like audio books are still literature, even though they have sounds and you're not reading anything. So visual novels are literature, just with visuals and/or sounds.

What makes a game is the factor of chance - meaning you can do the same thing over and over again, yet end up with varying results. There's actually a competitor to the Choose Your Own Adventure books called Wizards Warriors And You, some even authored by the renowned R. L. Stine.

Those adventure books add a bit of chance, like flipping coins or time of day, or depending if you're playing as a warrior or wizard and which weapons or spells you choose to bring with you.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
“Godzilla is not a super-fast monster,” Fujita notes. “If we had him running, it would be like the 1998 film.”

If EVA-01 can do it why can't Godzilla :V
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
You said you'd stop making those damn 4Kids jokes...

Concerning Pirate Warriors? One Piece is forever stained by 4Kids, which is why it will never be popular in the US.
B00m23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
@ enurtsol,

Yes, I personally view all visual novels-except one with battles/or like Dangan Ronpa- to be literature. The rest of the population views them as video games.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Concerning Pirate Warriors? One Piece is forever stained by 4Kids, which is why it will never be popular in the US.

I wouldn't say "forever stained" at this stage. Funi has more than cleaned up the mess 4Kids left behind, and with interest.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

I wouldn't say "forever stained" at this stage. Funi has more than cleaned up the mess 4Kids left behind, and with interest.

Cleaned it up enough to become the 2nd coming of DragonBall Z?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Cleaned it up enough to become the 2nd coming of DragonBall Z?

I don't know the DVD sales, but I heard it's been doing well.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Visual novels are more games than those Tellgame adventure games at least. Your choices and decisions in visual novels matter and there's multiple different routes and endings to end up in, just like one of those old choose your own adventure books. At least as far as Walking Dead is concerned the ending was always the same and it was just a choice of "Do you want this character to die now or do you want them to die later?" which seemed pretty weak. If those games are considered games, then visual novels definitely should be considered games as they have more consequences.

The Walking Dead games don't have anything as binary as route A,B,C, ect, but I'm not sure how that dosen't make them games. They may have a set ending, but yes having a events be changed by player choice is more then "character dies now or later". The games are filled with choices that change the events of the story that will make the game different from player to player. They are also filled with player interaction that can yield more story for the player if they seek it out.

So I'm not sure how this dosen't make them games.

[Edit]: removed snark (& reduced the quoting). Errinundra.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2