• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade Anime's 1st Teaser Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Yause wrote:
It'd be great if the money actually went to the animation team, but I doubt it. That would create chaos within a studio (discontent over who gets to work on what because of differing pay scales) and potentially impact salary expectations for future projects.

Here is a comment from the script writer during the campaign (listed as one of the core people on the kickstarter campaign):

Many of our animators are big fans of anime as well, and they tend to do more than what they are rewarded for. They continue to work until they are satisfied with their work. We feel that it would not hurt to have our animators rewarded just a little bit more. So please watch the making of Little Witch Academia if you have access to it. It will give everyone an idea of how much sincerity and dedication our animators have to their work. Please note that if we have excess funding even after that, we will definitely spend it to better our projects. We want you to know that we love anime just as much as you guys!

While one can easily argue that we have no idea that this actually HAPPENS, they did say that rewarding the animation team was one of the goals. I get your point about setting bad expectations/precedents, but considering how "public" this campaign was, I think it'd be tougher to have a few key guys pocket all the cash. (not impossible, just harder)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
US$625,518 (about 74 million yen) raised for one 40-minute feature? Just something not right with that.

Not all of that goes to production, Kickstarter get a small amount, plus there are the rewards that need to be designed, printed, and shipped.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
It should probably be pointed out that we've had NUMEROUS postings on ANN about how UNDERPAID anime creators are. So even if (for example) we were to assume that the LWA project is costing TRIPLE (I'd say less, but let's go ahead and triple a $200k budget) what it should, IF all that money were to go to the animation team, is that REALLY a bad thing?

That's what most, if not all newcomers get paid. Trigger has lots of veteran animators who more than likely earn a decent wage at the very least.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
YESSSSSSSSS! I've been waiting.

40 minutes is good. With all the extra cash, it could've been longer, but whatever. I hope they do another kickstarter for another episode next year, and another the year after, and so on. Having a full series in about 10 years would be nice...

I personally feel they should not be relying on Kickstarter too much, or any sort of crowdfunding. The idea behind Kickstarter, hence the name, is to get yourself started, and presumably, you can continue to keep going without further backing. To repeatedly rely on funding means you're not a successful business.

The game company Farsight Studios has put up no less than four Kickstarter campaigns over the past three years, and they have had diminishing returns. The backers were getting fed up with Farsight continuing to beg for money that seemed to only last them about eight months before they wanted more. (It wasn't even for new games, but DLC for one game.)

Pokenatic wrote:
That money also has to cover all of the backer rewards and Kickstarter's fees too. Plus, there was also money for a dub included as well (when the funding reached $500,000, I think?) but we all know how some people who backed it responded to that.

People opposed it getting an English dub? What drawback is there for it getting a dub versus it not getting one besides allocation of budget towards the dub?

BrainBlow wrote:
It's not unusual for even average western TV animations to cost as much as 5-600K dollars per 20 minute episode.

More than that if it's a popular show. An episode of The Simpsons was about $1 million during its Golden Age. Well, that's how much Fox paid per episode. (That being said, The Simpsons is the only case I know of for sure, as Hollywood is tight-lipped on budget sizes for understandable reasons. You also have Hollywood accounting where budget reports are inflated to evade taxes.)

I can't imagine something like Phineas & Ferb or SpongeBob SquarePants costing the networks that air them anywhere less than $800,000 per half hour.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think that the crowdfunding should have like 30% go to the staff. If they had gotten something like $1.5 million, then arguably the animators might get some more money. However, all the other produc-tion costs likely will stop that from happening.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:

US$625,518 (about 74 million yen) raised for one 40-minute feature? Just something not right with that.

The Little Witch Academia Kickstarter was originally to increase the length of the OVA:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1311401276/little-witch-academia-2/description

• The episode is currently planned to be about 20 minutes long, but we've come to Kickstarter in the hopes that we can make it even longer and better with your help! With your support, we want to increase the length of the episode by 15 minutes

In the meantime:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/774031583/under-the-dog/updates

• 12,157 backers pledged $878,028
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2