• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School DxD BorN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And that would have mostly or totally ignored what they had been building up all season with Rias's insecurities and the curse Loki laid. It also would have felt awkwardly forced in to put it in place of the last 2.5 episodes.

I agree with Zuwaiss that it should have been fit in earlier if it was going to be included at all, but again, what gets kicked as a result? I just don't see what they could have dropped to fit it in and still give a feeling of completeness to the season.

Hard to say what they would have kicked out if they stayed by canon, as I'm not 100% familiar with what goes on during this time in the LN, but cliffhangers are always a thing, if executed properly.

Mostly I'm just confused/miffed about how this season was supposed to have the event reordered to flow better, but instead, we are treated to a full course of non-canon that only creates more plotholes,..
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I think Asia might have disappeared because spoiler[maybe she was reincarnated as an angel like Irina.] Just speculation on my part. Definitely unexpected though.

i really doubt that will happen. but if it actually happened in the LN and the manga , then its possible that it will be included for the anime series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
The kiss was nice, but of course they forgot about it, so now it's back to the status quo. a lot less fun this season. I still liked it, but maybe
Ichiei Ishibumi should just stick to writing the Novels and manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Zuwaiss wrote:
Mostly I'm just confused/miffed about how this season was supposed to have the event reordered to flow better, but instead, we are treated to a full course of non-canon that only creates more plotholes,..

I finally caught up, and yeah I don't get it. It seemed early on like they were combining stuff because they had a specific point in mind to end the season. That wasn't my preference, but I could definitely see the appeal of wanting squeeze it to fit in a good fight for the finale. Instead we got what I thought was a really boring rescue the princess anime original arc.
That_Guy244

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Well for me I can say this season was a complete trainwreck for me from start to finish only bits i cared for was the Issei vs Shalba fight and the Oppai Dragon bit in the last ep. If Ichiei Ishibumi really wrote season3 then I kinda worried for Volume 20+. Season3 will defiantly won't be getting my support with a purchase I hope others enjoyed it more than I did.
Robbybulidjetliner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
So much of the source material was butcher in this season?
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
I actually liked the first half, expected but still fun nonetheless.

Quote:
While the season has had its ups and downs (including on the artistic front), it has largely remained true to its nature, and so I see no reason why it would not remain popular enough to justify further animation.

This is what I'm worried about, the reaction from the western fandom (who read the LNs like me) was generally negative to the changes. No idea what the fandom thinks in Japan where it counts is like. Hopefully like mine; accepting of the changes and willing to support it.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
The key words in your statement, though, were "who read the LNs like me." I strongly suspect that's a small (but vocal!) minority of the people in the States who actually watch the franchise, especially since none of the novels have yet been officially released in English. That's why I don't see the complaints about this season screwing with the source material carrying much weight in the West.

Now, in Japan, that's an entirely different story. Will be curious to see how the BR sales do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Poodicus1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
I'm not entirely certain by my own sources, but according to people on the HS DxD reddit and forums on other sites, the Japanese fans were either supportive or neutral on this season, showing their support via twitter.
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
This ending greatly worries me... If I remember correctly, Loki was supposed to be a one fight villain, yet now, they've made him into an at least 1,5 season villain...
So this will mean that instead of just season three getting anime original stuff, expect the rest, or at least season 4, to get some crap shoved into hem as well.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I have no LN knowledge, and found this entire season to be a bore. The "fun" level was much lower than other seasons, but the show has never shown much talent at the rest to compensate. The fights were just cliche after cliche, without the slightest nod to what made the show interesting.
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I have no LN knowledge, and found this entire season to be a bore. The "fun" level was much lower than other seasons, but the show has never shown much talent at the rest to compensate. The fights were just cliche after cliche, without the slightest nod to what made the show interesting.

Anime original material in a nutshell, it never works like it should.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The key words in your statement, though, were "who read the LNs like me." I strongly suspect that's a small (but vocal!) minority of the people in the States who actually watch the franchise, especially since none of the novels have yet been officially released in English. That's why I don't see the complaints about this season screwing with the source material carrying much weight in the West.

Now, in Japan, that's an entirely different story. Will be curious to see how the BR sales do.

that also gives me a peeve moment at time.

in frank its kinda what fans here have done the same thing when it comes to other popular series like toaru no majustu index and fate stay night and fate/zero, where the main storyline of the original source materials haven't even been officially released in the US let alone in english and they complain about the series not being faithful from the original source materials whether its from a LN like index and DAnime hyper or visual novels like FSN & FZ.

of course over there fans in japan have always been vocal on straying away from them which was the case for season II of index, so its a safe bet that its gonna be the same for born since it went down that path. worse is that those two act like its normal in the ending which means nothing have changed for them and the status quo have remained when it comes to their relationship. but then it wouldnt be a harem anymore if he chooses her.

hopefully if there is a season 4 it will be more faithful towards the LN.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Well with this 3rd season over I finally got around to reading the LN itself. Honestly ignoring that last anime original arc I find that I prefer the overall restructuring done for the anime. A few minor things bothered me and I wonder how the different power ups will be handled now but overall I enjoyed it. In fact I hope they continue it as I think I see what they are doing.

It looks to me as though they are going to do the Rating Game stuff all at once assuming this gets another season. So instead of the original which went spoiler[Buchou VS Kaichou] > Diodora > Loki > spoiler[Kyoto ] > spoiler[Sairaorg Rating Game] it would go something like Loki > Diodora > and then either spoiler[Kyoto] > Rating Games or Rating Games > spoiler[Kyoto.] I would guess its the 2nd as going from spoiler[Kyoto] to volumes 11 and 12 makes more sense to me seeing as how all 3 involve the spoiler[Hero faction.]

Assuming that is actually what they end up doing I think that flows a lot better IMO. Next season could cover the games while the season after that could cover all the spoiler[Hero faction] material. Having just read through these volumes the original ordering did feel a bit disjointed to me to be honest.

Restructuring aside I do agree that this season felt weaker than the first 2. I think that's more to do with the Diodora and Loki material just being weaker in general compared to the rest of the series though not to mention the anime original arc we got at the end which was pretty bland to me.

EDIT: Reading this again I feel I should clarify: Even though I dislike that last anime original arc I agree with Key about it being kinda necessary. Even ignoring Loki's curse, which was also anime original, and Rias's insecurities, which are dealt with later on, there was no good way to end the season. The spoiler[ Buchou VS Kaichou] probably could have fit here but would throw off future seasons. Only alternative I could think of would be maybe one of the side stories like that ritual/test Issei and Rias go through.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10