• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone seen a canon harem ending?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
extremeeXrement1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone seen a show with a legit harem ending?

As in... the male character scores ALL of the girls. And they're aware of it. And they live happily ever after, most likely fighting for attention forever.

And I'm not talking about an open ended harem, where he suggests, "hey, I like you all" (Rosario Vampire). I mean, the main character, in canon, scores 5 or 6 girlfriends who are all okay with it.

I've actually not seen a show like that. Besides giving me some examples, do you think such an ending would be good?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I believe that is how Sekirei will likely end, and probably High School DxD as well. the last few minutes during the last ep of spoiler[Strike the Blood], which takes place in the future, tells us spoiler[Kujo] will eventually have his own harem. cant think of anything else

that's regular anime. on the hentai front, there's Honō no Haramase Tenkōsei. Tatsuya makes it his goal in life to impregnate all the girls in his class, starting his quest for world domination. They are all cool with this this and based on the final moments of the last ep, it apparently works.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
We have a harem recommendation thread here, which should be used for recommendations or examples. The only potential discussion this thread has is whether or not you feel such endings would be good ones for series. The OP will need to edit their post to discuss their own thoughts on the matter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
In one of the earliest harem shows, The Tenchi Muyo! ova's it is shown that the King of Jurai (Tenchi's great grandfather and Ayeka's father) has at least two wives. Since Tenchi is a member of the family there is a potential that he could end up with everyone. In fact he might have to for political reasons. Given that everyone seems to have a life expectancy of a few hundred years this might not be the burden it seems.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I believe he already has by the time War on Geminar takes place. Kenshi keeps referring to sisters and how crazy powerful they are
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I've seen a few manga with legit harem endings (Yomeiro Choice and Umi no Misaki for example), but no anime that go all the way with it (other than hentai but that's a horse of a different colour).

I love harem shows, but I'm against harem endings. Call me old fashioned but I think monogamy is best. If a guy really had all those women to himself, would he really be able to truely love them all? Or is he more likely to see them as a bunch of girls he gets to sleep with whenever he wants? I'd hate for it to become the latter so I think any guy should focus his affections on one girl.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, true harem endings are actually relatively common. Cat Planet Cutries was certainly headed in that direction, for instance, and in the later stages of the To Love-Ru franchise one of the girls is on an active harem-building strategy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
In one of the earliest harem shows, The Tenchi Muyo! ova's it is shown that the King of Jurai (Tenchi's great grandfather and Ayeka's father) has at least two wives. Since Tenchi is a member of the family there is a potential that he could end up with everyone. In fact he might have to for political reasons. Given that everyone seems to have a life expectancy of a few hundred years this might not be the burden it seems.

Speaking of Tenchi, one of the later installments, spoiler[Tenchi Muyo GXP] came to mind immediately. The main character of that ends up marrying all the girls, all of them either Royalty or extremely wealthy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
There is in general non-endings, but although fun the real harem thing is kind of unfair to the individual female characters. For the topic I will bring up the seeker of the harem ending: Sugisaki Ken from Seitokai no Ichizon.

Now Ken is actually a very interesting character for reasons I won't actually explain because it might take away from what I think make him quite important to this topic.

Most of what I have to say on this topic is already said. You have a couple demon lord character anime where such an ending is shown as a likely future with I think things like Diamao, Trinity Seven, and Highschool DxD seems very open to it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

That guy has obviously never watched School Days.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
That guy has obviously never watched School Days.

Actually, the truth is that he is surprisingly spoiler[genre savvy in knowing the troubles connected to two timing.] The series offers a big spoiler[surprise of his true character having hidden depth].
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Alan45 wrote:

Speaking of Tenchi, one of the later installments, spoiler[Tenchi Muyo GXP] came to mind immediately. The main character of that ends up marrying all the girls, all of them either Royalty or extremely wealthy.

It's not just Tenchi and spoiler[GXP]. All works by Masaki Kajishima seem to love pulling harem endings, judging from what I seen of Photon: The Idiot Adventures, Dual Parallel and Tenchi Muyo War on Geminar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Call me old fashioned but I think monogamy is best. If a guy really had all those women to himself, would he really be able to truely love them all? Or is he more likely to see them as a bunch of girls he gets to sleep with whenever he wants?

The latter; also as a way to show off his wealth, build up a large family, and forge alliances with other powerful people.

Harems are things I associate with Heian-era Japan, the ancient Chinese court, and many other ancient societies... So with that in mind, I'll call your preference for monogamy quite modern instead Very Happy
Bianca-Sama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
familiar of zero pretty much had a canon ending to all of the seasons o:
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

I've read on several sources that this IS indeed the case, as the creator himself confirmed it.

(......so next we have is "who gets in bed with him the most then?" and the answer is of course, Ryoko)

.....okay so I made that last part up but that's TOTALLY CANON, come on. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2