• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf/Nozomi Ent. to Release Revolutionary Girl Utena on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I saw the screenshots from the JP BD and I have to say, besides the cleaner looking text and cleaner picture, the colors still look faded. Is that just an aesthetic choice for this show? Or is it because it would have been way more expensive to make it look better?
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Best thing about this news for me is that Right Stuf is now putting out BDs.
The BDs do look nice based on those screenshots, but I already have CPM's set and bought Right Stuf's re-release, so I think I'll pass on this outside of a big discount during a sale. Still, good news for those who want it or haven't bought Utena yet.

Now, where are my Tylor BDs?
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
Time to replace my CPM discs.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
Looks like I lucked out by not buying the Nozomi DVDs right away.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
It's a must buy.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Best thing about this news for me is that Right Stuf is now putting out BDs.

Indeed. I have bought any of their series in a while, because I don't want anything on DVD anymore. The quality is just too poor, and it sucks to have to deal with interlacing (though for some reason, even though HD displays are always progressive, they do sometimes release Blu-rays as interlaced, which sucks). So, the fact that Nozomi is finally releasing their stuff on Blu-rays is fantastic and well past time IMHO. So, this is great news.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
Very nice. Looks like I'll be scratching Utena off of my import list. I trust RightStuf will do a great job with it. If they include everything that came with the DVD sets I'll part ways with them and use the cash towards the new ones.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
While I may not like Utena, I will defend Nozomi's right to re-release it--
Hooray for indie companies that remember the 70's-90's titles! Very Happy
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I liked the Right Stuf DVD set when it came out. But that is the problem with buying DVD only. I bought the DVD because I didn't think BD's would come out for it. The days of DVD only need to go away. I can't afford to double dip for every show that didn't come out with a BD initially.

More power to you all that are going to double dip, and to you all that waited hoping for a BD release.

Pretty much this. I do double dip especially for BD (Toradora!, Cowboy Bebop, Darker than Black, etc, etc.), but there's only so much I can justify. The BD screen caps look nice and sharp so this looks to be the set to go for if you haven't already invested in the DVDs. I didn't actually expect a BD release here, so it kind of caught me unawares. Hmmm...it is out in 2016 though, if they give it the same treatment as the DVD sets I might try to sell my Nozomi DVD set and upgrade. Maybe. Price and time will tell.

I'm happy to see RS dipping their toes into BD. Hopefully we will get some more releases on BD.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

The Japanese BDs were upscaled and from the one comparison I remember seeing, it didn't look any better than the remastered Nozomi DVDs so I say stick with those.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I've had my eye on the Japanese BDs of Utena for a while. So, hooray for saving a couple hundred bucks...on a show that I already own twice.
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY REVOLUTION!
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Covnam wrote:

The Japanese BDs were upscaled and from the one comparison I remember seeing, it didn't look any better than the remastered Nozomi DVDs so I say stick with those.

Really? That's too bad. Oh well, thanks for the info. Saves me a few bucks then Smile
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Really? That's too bad. Oh well, thanks for the info. Saves me a few bucks then Smile

Lol there's literally a post on the first page of this showing the differences between the remaster and the Japanese Blu Ray's. IIRC When they made the remasters it said in the notes somewhere that they still had the original film so I don't see why it wouldn't be an improvement??
King Jareth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I love Utena so much I'd be willing to buy it again. Though I'm not hopeful for many more extras as the DVDs basically had everything you could imagine.
Honestly I just wish it had a new English dub!
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:

Lol there's literally a post on the first page of this showing the differences between the remaster and the Japanese Blu Ray's. IIRC When they made the remasters it said in the notes somewhere that they still had the original film so I don't see why it wouldn't be an improvement??

Wrong show. He's talking about Tylor. And he's right about the JP BDs of Tylor being an upscale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3