• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Comics Adds Princess Jellyfish, Real Account, Magatsuki Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
5-in-1 omnibuses for Fairy Tail eh? Hmm...

Has Kodansha put out any omnibuses with that many volumes per collection before? I'm curious as to whether this is likely to be hardcover or paperback, as well as curious if their omnibuses tend to be good quality or not. If they're anything like Viz's VizBigs, then count me in. If they're anything like Viz's other '3-in-1' omnibuses...um...yeah...n-no thanks...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
Yay I'm glad I contributed to Noragami's 'excellent sales'. My hard-earned cash paid off T.T *of joy*

Me too! Now to be bombarded by Noragami until mid-2016! Laughing

Princess Jellyfish is one I'm interested in, due to hear about how good it is. Thing is, I've seen some online asking if it is on hiatus or not...that does have me wondering...
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
PRINCESS JELLYFISH!!! I LOVE the anime and I even bought a volume of the manga in French (and I don't read French). I'm so excited!

Now if Viz can announce another title I bought in French, Silver Spoon, this will be a con for the ages. No, it already is!
Niyari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
nice, definitely looking forward to magatsuki (i always thought it was just a matter of time till kodansha picked it up) and the new noragami release schedule.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

Has Kodansha put out any omnibuses with that many volumes per collection before? I'm curious as to whether this is likely to be hardcover or paperback, as well as curious if their omnibuses tend to be good quality or not. If they're anything like Viz's VizBigs, then count me in. If they're anything like Viz's other '3-in-1' omnibuses...um...yeah...n-no thanks...

They did 3-in-1 for Negima, I believe. Not sure other than that.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:

Seriously though, people need to actually buy it now. We've got 6 volumes to put our money where our mouths are.

Agreed full stop
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting Princess Jellyfish to finally be coming to America! Definitely gonna save up and get it! Smile
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Covnam wrote:
Well, I'll be picking up Princess Jellyfish. Odd that they would license the majority of the series out (12/15) and not just the whole thing at that point.

I'd guess it is a precautionary measure after what happened with Vinland Saga. That was their first foray into seinen and it didn't exactly go smoothly so by letting people know that Princess Jellyfish is a similar licence upfront, the experience can hopefully go smoother. Josei is still a big risk in NA but hopefully this will prove it is actually a viable path for Kodansha USA to pursue in future.

Well, yeah, I get that, but then why go for so many? Why not license the first 6 volumes or something (not that I'm complaining)? If they felt confident enough to license the majority of the series, why stop right before the end?

As for the 5 in 1 omnibuses, that sounds like a bit much at once. I find the 3 in 1 books to be annoying to hold and read, I can't imagine comfortably reading something nearly twice that size.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Covnam wrote:
Well, I'll be picking up Princess Jellyfish. Odd that they would license the majority of the series out (12/15) and not just the whole thing at that point.

I'd guess it is a precautionary measure after what happened with Vinland Saga. That was their first foray into seinen and it didn't exactly go smoothly so by letting people know that Princess Jellyfish is a similar licence upfront, the experience can hopefully go smoother. Josei is still a big risk in NA but hopefully this will prove it is actually a viable path for Kodansha USA to pursue in future.

Well, yeah, I get that, but then why go for so many? Why not license the first 6 volumes or something (not that I'm complaining)? If they felt confident enough to license the majority of the series, why stop right before the end?

First, it's an ongoing series, it doesn't end at 15. Second, since they're releasing 2-in-1 volumes, they did technically get the first 6 volumes Smile this commits them to about 3 years, assuming a release schedule of 2 volumes per year, which should be sufficient time to determine whether it's worth continuing.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
ahhh yeah, Princess Jellyfish! I was wondering if I'd ever get to add it to my collection~
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
Been working on Jellyfish for the past few months, so glad that it finally got announced. We've got a top team on this one, so expect top production values, guys!
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:43 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Now if Viz can announce another title I bought in French, Silver Spoon, this will be a con for the ages. No, it already is!

Been praying for Silver Spoon since day one. They recently announced the end is getting near, so I hope that will be the kind of incentive that will urge Viz to license it.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote
Can someone tell me why Princess Jellyfish is so good? I keep seeing people praise it, but neither the art nor the premise seem that interesting or impressive. Is it one of those series that you just have to try yourself before you get it?
Miskos3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

Apparently it's supposed to be similar to the 'colossal' edition of Attack on Titan
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:39 am Reply with quote
Decided to look into Princess Jellyfish a bit myself. The last volume released (15) came out at the start of the year. What's concerning, for me, is that the schedule has changed for this series.

When it started, in '09, there were 3 volumes released then and in 2010. 2011 only saw 2, same goes for 2012. 2013 was a good year, 3 volumes released. 2014 only saw one volume...

From '09 to '15, there have been 15 volumes collected. Meanwhile, from '10 to '12, Omo ni Naitemasu saw 10 volumes. And Meropon Dash saw 7 volumes from '13 to '14 (volume numbers according to MAL). 5 volumes of Kakukaku Shikajika were done between '11 to '15

Add to that, Higashimura has series like the Sekka no Tora and Tokyo Tarareba-Jou that are currently ongoing, along with the announcement of Higashimura's as yet named series to debut later this August, feel like Princess Jellyfish is way down in the pecking order.

Seeing a series' release schedule slow down to a crawl like this is something I avoid. Couple that with seeing the output that she has had with other series, in short time frames, along with the other series that are currently ongoing...I won't be going in for Princess Jellyfish.

Nothing against someone doing multiple series at the same time. She's a creator, and must have a lot of ideas she wants to see come to fruition, and good on her I say. But, I won't be spending money on a series that, from my PoV, is a 2nd class citizen.

While I've no idea if any of this was taken into consideration for the 12 volume deal, it has made my decision for me. Would've checked this info out earlier today, but I caught this news when I was between things at the time. Wikipedia, Google, and MAL come in handy. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3