• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Comics Adds Princess Jellyfish, Real Account, Magatsuki Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ginrai1984

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:32 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
5-in-1 omnibuses for Fairy Tail eh? Hmm...

Has Kodansha put out any omnibuses with that many volumes per collection before? I'm curious as to whether this is likely to be hardcover or paperback, as well as curious if their omnibuses tend to be good quality or not. If they're anything like Viz's VizBigs, then count me in. If they're anything like Viz's other '3-in-1' omnibuses...um...yeah...n-no thanks...

the news itself about the fairy tail omnibus has been announced for a while,and to answer the question kodansha comics does have experience with the 5 in 1 format,namely the "attack on titan-collosal edition" is being published in the format in question.

but it also wise to mention about it,that these omnibusses deviate a lot from the normal manga size and can best be compared to the size of a comic oversized hardcover a la east of eden,sandman etc.

i'll probably give real account a chance,but i need to clear my purchase backlog before i go adding a new series to the queu!

also i'm somewhat suprised that ther wasn't a yankee&megane announcement for KC,since they went so far to get miki yoshikawa-sensei to come to anime expo.
ShaunHastings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
Princess Jellyfish, I never thought I'd see the day.

Now if only someone would license Kids on the Slope...
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
And Crunchyroll will be releasing the Princess Jellyfish manga digitally next week!
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
While I'm happy to hear that Princess Jellyfish was picked up for an English release at last, I am apprehensive about the risk of collecting the series then having it dropped mid-way through. This is why I gave up on series like Gakuen Alice, or why I'm a bit saddened when I go to re-watch or re-read an incomplete series of mine (Glass Mask and Translucent).

I will try to buy the volumes when they're available despite this apprehension, though. I loved the anime, and would love to read and own the manga as well.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:

First, it's an ongoing series, it doesn't end at 15. Second, since they're releasing 2-in-1 volumes, they did technically get the first 6 volumes Smile this commits them to about 3 years, assuming a release schedule of 2 volumes per year, which should be sufficient time to determine whether it's worth continuing.

True, I misspoke when I said "end," but that's all that's out and at the pace it's going...

And no, releasing it in 6 volumes does not mean they licensed 6 volumes, it still means they licensed 12 (80%) of everything that is currently available. At the very least it show fans that they are confident in this release and not worry potential buyers that they may only end up with 12 volumes of a series.

3 years would be sufficient time, but I hope by then they've already made their decision long before to keep there from being a long gap between 12(v6) & 13(v7).
Hellfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:58 am Reply with quote
Princess Jellyfish licensed in English? feels like somebody heard my wishes! Very Happy I will surely buy it Very Happy
nikkichanblogs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
PRINCESS JELLYFISH!!! I LOVE the anime and I even bought a volume of the manga in French (and I don't read French). I'm so excited!

Now if Viz can announce another title I bought in French, Silver Spoon, this will be a con for the ages. No, it already is!

Though a bit late, I still feel fortunate and grateful to have discovered THIS AWARD-WINNING, precious TREASURE of a manga!!! Such unique and excellent story crafted in the GENIUS mind of Akiko Higashimura...

Winner of the Kodansha Award for best shoujo in 2010....

I can't express how much I SALUTE, respect, and ADMIRE Akiko Higashimura for this excellent CREATION... Such AWESOME masterpiece STORY truly deserves to be recognized and awarded...

Every single chapter never fails to MOVE ME with Tsukimi's and Kuranosuke's INSIGHTFUL monologues, and HEART-STOPPING scenes in every single panel...

Akiko-sensei is such a GENIUS... It's truly entertaining, while every single line or monologue MOVES and TOUCHES my heart, Akiko-sensei also never CEASES to make me laugh with her witty remarks and her admirable hilarity...

Such EYE-OPENING insights OF THE REALITY IN THE CLOTHES BUSINESS OR FASHION INDUSTRY....

WOW.... All of these truths embroidered in this AWESOME craft of a story plot by the awesome Akiko-sensei....

IT'S A COMPLETE PACKAGE... ALL IN ONE...

It will INSPIRE YOU,

MOVE YOU,

TOUCH YOUR HEART,

MAKE YOU LAUGH with Sensei's witty hilarity and her recent K-pop obsessions LOL, and of course

MAKE YOU SQUEAL at such heart-aching KYAAAHHH moments like any other fangirl, though this is a josei....

Especially those Kuranosuke and Tsukimi moments!!! And Shuu's dilemmas!!! Awww!!!♥♥♥

But it will leave you with such GREAT INSIGHTS about the realities of the business world... All in the MOST ENTERTAINING and INSPIRING way that can move your heart even to tears...

Not meant for the fans to experience meltdowns or anything but instead to INSPIRE each and everyone of her readers... Maybe especially those in the FASHION INDUSTRY... But really she inspires and I think not only me but Akiko-sensei INSPIRES all of her readers...

And that's what I LOVE about her and Kuragehime.... It will also never ever let you finish every chapter without your HEART SKIPPING A BEAT or HEART BEING STUNG from time to time!!!

In my case, or I think in every fan's case, KURANOSUKE, his every move, his inner thoughts are the one which would always make me feel like my HEART IS PIERCED!!!

Akiko-sensei won't leave you not SQUEALING hard like a fangirl and SCREAMING kyaaaaahhhhh~~~ at KURANOSUKE so hard at every chapter FROM THE VERY BEGINNING TILL THE LAST FEW CHAPTERS!!!

Especially the last few chapters!!! ♥OHMIGOWSH!!!♥ I'm gonna melt as I'm blushing so red and SQUEALING so hard at every heart-aching, very touching scenes!!!!

My heart is crying right now that there a few remaining chapters left out for me to read so far….

I SO LOVE KURAGEHIME…. There’s no other MANGA like KURAGEHIME…. THE ONE AND ONLY KURAGEHIME…. Salute to Akiko Higashimura Sensei!!! I so want to meet you in person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
Laughing I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who has made a rather long post on this thread.

So, unless my last post has just been missed by some, is no one else concerned about the snail like pace that Princess Jellyfish releases are at right now?

While I can see some are concerned that, on the side of Kodansha leaving it incomplete, I'm kind of concerned that the mangaka will leave it incomplete while working on another 3 series.
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I never fell in love with the Princess Jellyfish anime, but I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely gonna check out the manga, especially if it can encourage more josei from Kodansha. Always good to see that (and seinen).
eternalblue81

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed the anime for Princess Jellyfish, so I'm looking forward to the manga releases. I'll definitely pre-order volumes as they're available.

Ali07 wrote:
So, unless my last post has just been missed by some, is no one else concerned about the snail like pace that Princess Jellyfish releases are at right now?

While I can see some are concerned that, on the side of Kodansha leaving it incomplete, I'm kind of concerned that the mangaka will leave it incomplete while working on another 3 series.

Aside from the gap between 13 and 14, the release schedule doesn't seem like it's been that bad to me. Assuming that Kodansha releases 2 of the double volumes per year, the manga may be finished by the time they release up to 12. However I'm mostly basing this off of my experience with the Japanese and English release schedule for Wandering Son, which is one of the few currently still ongoing (in English) manga that I've been purchasing as they become available.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
The release schedule doesn't fill me with confidence, especially in the wider context of the mangaka's other works.

I've looked at it this way, from 2013 to now, she's done 5 volumes for Princess Jellyfish. From 2010-12, managed to do 10 volumes for Omo ni Naitemasu and 2013-14 saw a combined 14 volumes for both Kakukaku Shikajika and Meropon Dash.

Just the discrepancy between the amount of output that she has done for other series concerns me. '09 to now, 15 volumes of Princess Jellyfish. For other series, and I'm unsure if I'm counting all the work she has done, '10-'14 has seen 24 volumes

Seems like this series is low on the pecking order to me. And, she has other series (2 or 3) that are currently ongoing, alongside Princess Jellyfish.

In all honesty, if there had been word that they were planning on ending Princess Jellyfish soon, I wouldn't care. Because, as you mentioned, the English releases could catch up around the end of the series. No idea if something has been said about the planned length for the series, but the output for other works is what puts me off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3