• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Classroom Crisis [2015-07-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharkacon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
One step forward, two steps back.

Cutting the class in half was the best possible thing for this show. I was excited. Finally, maybe we'll get some character development out of some of these spare characters. Or so I thought.

Then the big reveal this week is... the whole cast is back! Hooray for a bunch of characters whose names I don't know!

Seriously, when they were sitting at the back of the auditorium watching Kaito get paraded around by the union, I thought to myself, "Who the deuce are these people?" It wasn't until the scene where they came back that I realized they were those people who had I developed zero emotional attachment to, and whose departure I had celebrated as addition by subtraction for the show as a whole.

Although I suppose it does make it easier for the show writers. They needed a way to overcome the budget crisis, so they turned to Deus Ex Randomcastmemberwhokicksassatcreativeaccounting to solve that problem.

I still want to see where the relationships between Kiryuu, Angelina and the siblings Sera all go, but I suppose I can safely ignore everyone else. This show still has the potential to be pretty good. Plus I like that it reinforces the age-old truth that you can accomplish anything if you set your mind to it, and have nearly 600 million yen.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
Sharkacon wrote:
Although I suppose it does make it easier for the show writers. They needed a way to overcome the budget crisis, so they turned to Deus Ex Randomcastmemberwhokicksassatcreativeaccounting to solve that problem.

Note that the lady accountant thought it was creative accounting, but it wasn't really. It was Kaito Sera's promotion to being an executive that solved the problem. He simply used his new authority as an executive to be able to approve expenses up to 20 million yen (Crunchyroll translated 稟議 ringi as "circular," but here it probably should have been "expense report," at least if you wanted to translate it to Western business practice, see here.) Submitting a bunch of different separate expense reports each under 20 million yen is only barely creative at all.

It's definitely not a Deus Ex Machina. It's a completely logical, natural solution to the budget problem, which is why it's not entirely unexpected by Kiryuu. In general the corporate and political intrigue in this show is quite reasonable, just not explained for some audience members.
Sharkacon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
@John Thacker

Yeah, I got the way it was done. It just annoyed me that it was some random girl from the class that came up with the idea, because accounting was her forte or whatever (something that wasn't revealed until that moment, and I'm not sure if she'd had more than a couple lines in the show before that point.) It would have felt less forced to me if the younger Sera had figured out the way for the elder Sera to exercise his new authority.

This show doesn't seem to believe in foreshadowing, instead relying on partial (in this case) or sometimes full on ass pulls to wrap things up.

As I write this, I feel like I'm being super overly critical of a show that I still plan to watch in its entirety. Meh. Oh well.

Edit: Thank for that translation, by the way. Subs are usually a lot better with translations than dubs are, but they tend to still be off a bit.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
On episode 5,

I think I can understand Nick's frustration with having a silly beach episode, but a C rating seems harsh to me. I was not a big fan of episode 5 either, but it had enough well written stuff to make it palatable. I can easily give it a B- grade.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Sharkacon wrote:
Yeah, I got the way it was done. It just annoyed me that it was some random girl from the class that came up with the idea, because accounting was her forte or whatever (something that wasn't revealed until that moment, and I'm not sure if she'd had more than a couple lines in the show before that point.) It would have felt less forced to me if the younger Sera had figured out the way for the elder Sera to exercise his new authority.

? It was revealed way, way before that moment. The girl was the one leading the budget meeting in episode 1, and constantly freaking out about the waste of money going on. In episode 2, the ATEC promo video identified her as ATEC's accounting person, and she mentioned she chose to join ATEC because she liked math and wanted to make use of her skills. At the beginning of episode 3, she went with Kaito to the meeting with Nagisa asking for additional budget, clearly exhausted from spending all night on this with him - because the money stuff was her job.

So whatever you may think of the plot development, this most certainly wasn't an ass pull. One big point of the promo video in episode 2 was to establish that each character in the class had their own role and were essentially full professionals contributing to the company (in skill level at least if not in attitude). So it's not particularly odd that their accounting professional would, you know, understand accounting.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
The money thing was clearly a deus ex because no large corporation would ever have a rule that allow the lowest member of executive to request infinite money without any oversight. Within 10 minute of that rule going live, someone would have requested a billion dollar and just went off to the bahamas with it. Laughing
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Rules allowing certain employees to request $X for work stuff without getting pre-approval are incredibly common, actually. They still have to put in the request, it can still get looked at afterwards, and if they're off to the Bahamas, their next stop would probably be jail for embezzlement.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Why is it that the majority of the reviews I find on this sight are filled with negatives. I'd like to see more reviews that attempt highlight the positives of the show rather than find all the things to bring it down. Critics don't have to inherently be negative.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
Why is it that the majority of the reviews I find on this sight are filled with negatives. I'd like to see more reviews that attempt highlight the positives of the show rather than find all the things to bring it down. Critics don't have to inherently be negative.

It may just be ones you're looking at. The previous Classroom Crisis episodes had generally favorable reviews. Prison School has been getting positive reviews. My Love Story has in general been getting positive reviews. Snow White with the Red Hair is always getting positive reviews.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
This anime is tag comedy, romance, and science fiction. I saw the comedy and science fiction, but where's the romance???

Is it between Mitsuki and Nagisa? Mitsuki and Iris? Kaito and Angelina? Angelina and Nagisa? I can't read the vibes coming from either of them. If there's no romance by the end of this anime, I would have completely wasted my time watching Classroom Crisis.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
This anime is tag comedy, romance, and science fiction. I saw the comedy and science fiction, but where's the romance???

Is it between Mitsuki and Nagisa? Mitsuki and Iris? Kaito and Angelina? Angelina and Nagisa? I can't read the vibes coming from either of them. If there's no romance by the end of this anime, I would have completely wasted my time watching Classroom Crisis.

I'm assuming the sites listing romance made a mistake by doing that.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
animechic420 wrote:

I'm assuming the sites listing romance made a mistake by doing that.

There appears to be some romance in Classroom Crisis, but I am not sure how important it will be in the overall plot.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:

Is it between Mitsuki and Nagisa? Mitsuki and Iris? Kaito and Angelina? Angelina and Nagisa?

Most likely that one. To be more precise, from Angelina/Hattori Hanako to Kiryū Nagisa (very obvious), and hints of from Kiryū Nagisa to Sera Mizuki (quite subtle; might be developed to something, might not).
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:

I'm not sure which reviews you have been reading. Most of the reviews from this season have been fairly friendly to the shows. I've rarely seen a hard critique such as this one.
FredMaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:

Well whether he dislike this show or not, because of ANN readers who suggested to have a weekly review of this one, he has no choice but to do it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5