• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Needs To Be Approved By A Licensor?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffpiatt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
The Gundam franchise also suffered from this Sunrise and Bandai japan forced over the UC Shows due to there being tons of existing molds to reissue for us sales only for it to go south due to running thhe first show on toonami where it's 1979 animation was dated compared to wing's late 90's style. Shows like Gundam x were held back due to them being failed in the home market X might have done well due to it's plot being close to wing and animated an year later.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
The thing with Attack on Titan and Encouragement of Climb is that the names were chosen before the animes were even thought about - both of them have those Engrish titles on the original Japanese manga covers and both were worked into the logo of the show. Not really much room for maneuvering at that point.

ADV created new logos for at least two shows that already had English in the title and logo - Chr[o]no Crusade and This Ugly (and|yet) Beautiful World.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. "Attack on Titan" possibly would've been screwed even with that willingness, given that the title's in the first OP clear as day, but I guess Encouragement of Climb comes back to the increasing licensor meddling(or increasing fandom tolerance of Engrish).

I bet Funi never even tried with Akuma no Riddle, though. The fact that if you just strike "story" out of the English title, you're halfway to a decent title only makes it worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3