• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I refuse to watch this movie because I'm unable to buy into the premise. I simply can't wrap my head around the idea of Frieza being a threat. There's simply too vast a gulf between his old strength and the insane levels that Piccolo, Vegeta, Gotenks, Gohan and Goku have ascended to.

Oh, and the new god forms with their crazy hair colours are already starting to wear very thin. What's next: lime green? Hot pink? Neon purple? In turn consider Super Saiyan 4; now there was a powerful-looking transformation that actually had gravitas.

To be fair, characters becoming infinitely stronger in a short span of time is nothing really new. Goku went from not being able to beat Vegeta to standing up to Frieza in the span of an arc after all. Besides I doubt Frieza was the type to train anyway considering how he was vastly overpowered warlord with a whole army to stuff for him, he's even too lazy to fly on his own most of the time. Just imagine if he actually put time into pushing his limits. Towards the end of their battle Goku suggested that Frieza should take his defeat, learn from it and come back for more if he wants. And that's what happens finally in this film. The problem here though is that the power scaling in this Universe has gotten far too out of hand for the film's premise to be justifiable.

I agree with you on the lame transformations. Perhaps it should be called Recoloration F.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
I went to go see this movie a few months ago in 4D, and it was... OK? I was really pissed off about Goku's line about Bulma "Well, we'd better go hurry and save Bulma. She's noisy, so she's likely to get killed."
WTF!?

Anyway.

It was interesting to feel the water and smell the flowers within the movie. lol
azhanei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
The most meaty plot ever in a DBZ movie was Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan, and they left a lot meat on the bone with that. So I never go to a DBZ movie expecting intricate storytelling, though some offer a bit more than others. Having said that, there were plot points brought up that were never acted on, and that was disappointing. Also like with Broly, resurrecting a big villain creates a less menacing result. But I laughed my butt off (in a good way) and it was a nice visit with old friends.
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
The next movie should be the ultimate conflict: Goku & Vegeta have to enter work force. That is the DBZ movie I want to watch. Laughing

The drivers license ep while filler was still one of the best eps of the series.

Technically that happened for goku, he became a farmer in super.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:26 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
The next movie should be the ultimate conflict: Goku & Vegeta have to enter work force. That is the DBZ movie I want to watch. Laughing .

I really liked how in this movie Krillin had a job as a police officer. The way he handled the bank robbers was like a less flashy Saiyaman. But I'm really disappointed with Toriyama's decision to have Gohan stop with all of his training and just be... normal. But I always thought Gohan was a much more interesting (and human) character than Goku. I actually would have liked to see him become the new hero.

But speaking of the cast getting jobs, I would really like to see Vegeta get a job... but I suppose Bulma is so rich he has no need to, not to mention that everyone is probably glad to keep him away from the frustration of dealing with ordinary humans. Laughing

mewpudding101 wrote:
I went to go see this movie a few months ago in 4D, and it was... OK? I was really pissed off about Goku's line about Bulma "Well, we'd better go hurry and save Bulma. She's noisy, so she's likely to get killed."
WTF!?

Assuming we're thinking of the same line, the dub had this as something like "We better hurry and get there before Bulma says something to Freeza that gets everyone killed" Which... was still mean, but then again, fair, seeing as she does exactly that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:

If I was in charge I would have changed focus to the next generation; Gohan, Goten, Trunks, etc. I feel they still have stories to tell and have gotten overshadowed by Vegeta and especially Goku. But the fans would probably hate that.

Considering Gohan isn't a fighter, Everyone likes Future Trunks, and no one likes Goten all that much you might be on to something.

dtm42 wrote:

In turn consider Super Saiyan 4; now there was a powerful-looking transformation that actually had gravitas.

Minus the zany looking hairstyles with natural hair color, the red fur, & the red eyeshadow.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I refuse to watch this movie because I'm unable to buy into the premise. I simply can't wrap my head around the idea of Frieza being a threat. There's simply too vast a gulf between his old strength and the insane levels that Piccolo, Vegeta, Gotenks, Gohan and Goku have ascended to.

Oh, and the new god forms with their crazy hair colours are already starting to wear very thin. What's next: lime green? Hot pink? Neon purple? In turn consider Super Saiyan 4; now there was a powerful-looking transformation that actually had gravitas.

unfortunately since that form is no longer cannon , most people will now only stick to the god forms .

while super sayian 4 was definitely badass to say the least, it became irrelevant the minute the new movies came out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
The review summed up my feelings on this film more concisely than I would have written it. I still think that it's yet another token instance of ANN handing out letter ratings that are too high for the content of said review. A 'C' for story, when it's this underwhelming? Kind of a stretch there--I'm sorry. This was not a B-and-C review.

I went in really, really liking the premise. I was, at first, put off by Battle of Gods for its altogether whimsical attitude, along with the way in which it derailed itself pretty terribly around the middle when spoiler[Pilaf appeared]. I warmed up to it when I realised that it introduced not only a new antagonist, but a new type of antagonist who was unusual for Dragon Ball Z, and came to understand that it wasn't supposed to tap into the series' typical penchant for impending doom. That, and it is the only time I can remember spoiler[Goku being irrefutably bested, and resigning himself to accepting that he could not beat his opponent]. I thought, "Cool. A new, but safe way to pick things back up--enjoyable and sensible nonetheless. Now, it's time for some actual tension. A real, vengeful threat."

We did not get that here. The universe of Dragon Ball (Z) is such that spoiler[Frieza becoming strong enough to contend with the Z fighters after so much had happened since his death] could conceivably be both logical and compelling. However, they cast that aside in favour of spoiler[beefing up Goku and Vegeta so much that they can actually toy with Frieza, "take turns", and even fight over those turns]. It was as lighthearted and contrived as the Abo/Cado OVA, and considering the significance of Frieza as an archnemesis, that's very disappointing (spoiler[the presence of Beerus doesn't help, since he is already established as being so out of the league of everyone else that the likes of Shenron and even Frieza himself pander to him and call him "Lord"]). I left completely underwhelmed. Sad

I gave the film a 5 (So-so) for working as a Dragon Ball action affair and as a comedy, but for not being anything else halfway satisfying.

Last edited by Gatherum on Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prince Gotonoke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
I really liked it for what it was. Like a poster on the first page said, there isn't much more that can be done with the franchise at this point. I think at best it had a chance at being really good fanservice, and for the most part it was. Unlike others I could buy Frieza becoming a legit threat again, because it is DBZ after all, powerups are not uncommon. What I could not buy was the apparent depowering of most of the main cast.

At the end of the Cell Saga shouldn't everyone had been stronger than final form frieza? Well, everyone that isn't an earthling? And yet when people learned frieza was coming back they were already afraid, even before he showed them they powered up? I would have liked for them to be overconfident only for frieza to show them up, at least. But really, that is just me being super pedantic about this here. DBZ has always played fast and loose with its rules on power and what not.

I did prefer Battle of the Gods to this because I did find it a lot more fun, and Vegeta did sing and dance about bingo! And unpopular opinion alert, Frieza is my least favorite main arc villain in all of DB and DBZ. So the fanservice only goes so much for me based on the premise alone. But I think this was worth being made though.

Now, my favorite and non-favorite parts, specifically, so it will be spoiler tagged.

spoiler[Roshi being a badass again. Weird how he is now stronger than Yamcha, but I will more than allow it, because who cares about yamcha?

The 2nd wish being wasted on money. A nice call back to the very first wish in all of DB.

All the great one liners. Toriyama is best when it comes to comedy.

Beerus and Whis just not giving a shit about anything but food, they are the best.

Goku and Vegeta having new threads. I really like the update! And now for the stuff I didn't like.

Vegeta not having the killing blow. They really didn't need to have the whole temporal rewind nonsense. Just dumb, and really the least dramatic thing due to the series this is based in. Vegeta has more personal reasons for wanting to take out frieza. As well as it being the best comeuppance frieza could have, that someone he holds in an even lower regard being the one to kill him. But this is Son freaking Goku we are talking about. He will never not have the glory all to himself. Damnit fans in japan who did not like Gohan being the main hero after cell!

The animation was not that good. I do love Toriyama's art style, but the animation itself? Pretty average here, not that it is a huge detriment. The series never had great animation. But still wish for a theatrical release it would be better.

No appearance whatsoever from Trunks, Goten, Hercule, or Buu. ]
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

mewpudding101 wrote:
WTF!?

Assuming we're thinking of the same line, the dub had this as something like "We better hurry and get there before Bulma says something to Freeza that gets everyone killed" Which... was still mean, but then again, fair, seeing as she does exactly that.

Dub line is different from the Japanese. Goku specifically says that they will get killed because "Buruma wa urusai kara na" (Bulma is noisy"
noigeL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
WTF!?

Bulma likes to shoot her mouth off and Freeza doesn't tolerate backtalk, so...

Surprised that would raise one's ire considering the conversation between 18 and Kuririn is far more frustrating.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:26 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

mewpudding101 wrote:
Dub line is different from the Japanese. Goku specifically says that they will get killed because "Buruma wa urusai kara na" (Bulma is noisy"

No, he doesn't. I don't remember the exact line, but he does not say urusai; he says something like kuchiwarui (lit. badmouthed), because he can hear her talking shit to Frieza. I read this in the thread, happened to remember it and saw the movie a couple of hours ago. I didn't read your second post, only the first ("She's noisy, so she's likely to get killed"), and was listening out for urusai.

Speaking of the film, I thought it kind of sucked. Nothing that happened was of any real consequence or lasting meaning and the tone was implausible and inconsistent.

Edit 10/10: The line is "Buruma korosatsuchau kamo shinnee zo! Aitsu kuchiwarui kara," (Bulma'll get killed if she keeps smack-talking Frieza like this.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2