• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GATE

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
From the start, I have gotten the vibe that Gate Empire = Old Japan.

What did the guy (granted not Empire) say when Rory hoisted him on the Poleaxe?

There is no honor in fighting this way.

Because European knights aren't constantly portrayed as all about their honor and chivalry? Seeing as how these look more like knights than samurai...
bibotot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Why are the US agents so dumb in this anime? They just got owned. That is unbelievable. I mean, Japan is restricted from building a powerful military force after WW2 and the US has been fighting in multiple wars since then. In other words, I would expect US troops to be better trained and experienced.

Of course, this anime has been throwing logic off the window all the time, so this might be to be expected.
Rob49152

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
The onsen was a known destination for the group since the beginning of the episode. I would imagine that the SFG will know the area surrounding it extremely well and would have set up a crap load of surveillance and tracking equipment around before hand. They'd have soldiers in multiple defended locations to deter any incoming forces.

I really am frustrated hearing that that just by having superior hardware and maybe better trained soldiers means the other side will be easily defeated. If this was an air superiority contest or missile exchange from a distance maybe. But on the ground it's a pretty equal playing field.

You'd think that since vietnam you'd realize that better trained and equipped soldiers doesn't really mean as much in a one on one fire fight on the ground. Especially when stealth is the main focus as seen here.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:10 am Reply with quote
bibotot wrote:
I mean, Japan is restricted from building a powerful military force after WW2

You seem to be having a rather large misunderstanding about that...

Though yes the US special forces should have a lot more actual combat experience.

Episode 9 Review wrote:
This aspect strikes me more as a basic Japanocentric approach – in other words, it's made in Japan so naturally it's going to portray the home team in the most positive light – than outright nationalism.

Rob49152 wrote:
I would imagine that the SFG will know the area surrounding it extremely well and would have set up a crap load of surveillance and tracking equipment around before hand.

I think a mix of both of these is why the US guys were losing so badly. The seeming gap in skill between the two was exaggerated, but it was also pointed out that aside from the weapons, all of their other gear could be obtained by civilian survival game enthusiasts. So the US special forces were clearly at a disadvantage in terms of equipment. The Japanese SFG likely had all the relevant top of the line equipment in addition to the advantage of just being there already waiting. A big example of the difference in equipment would be those night vision scopes the SDF guys were using to snipe the US guys.

Episode 9 Review wrote:
Whatever degree of nationalism may have infused previous incarnations of the franchise, it has been toned down enough here that it could be ignored and the show easily appreciated for its other merits.

I agree. While I can't say that there isn't any sense of nationalism coming from this, I can say that it isn't anymore than in your typical Hollywood war movie. I have a very hard time seeing any ultra right-wing nationalism in this.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
Yes, "typical Hollywood war movie" is exactly what I was getting at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Now if only they could do that with Tuka, too. . .

Having read the manga adaptation, I can say she does get her turn. It's actually a rather interesting turn, something that isn't often seen in anime.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 09: best so far. Funny parts were funny, sexy parts were sexy, American parts were American...
dizzon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Welp, that was about as much as I can take. I'm out.

I was going to drop it after last weeks episode but I was curious about the ex-wife. Now that that curiosity has been quenched, I'm good.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:

I was going to drop it after last weeks episode but I was curious about the ex-wife. Now that that curiosity has been quenched, I'm good.

If you weren't liking it, I'm shocked you went anywhere near this long. I think Gate was pretty great at making it obvious what the series was going for probably as early as episode 3.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
Interesting... You seem to be implying I'm slow at comprehending what this series is trying to portray.

Speaking of "shocked", I'm completely "shocked" in your lack of tact in responding to people in this thread.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
Interesting... You seem to be implying I'm slow at comprehending what this series is trying to portray.

No, I'm just not sure why you chose to keep watching something you didn't like. This:

dizzon wrote:

Makes it sound like you didn't expect any improvements and were forcing yourself to waste your free time on something unenjoyable, so I'm shocked you went this long. I was wondering if you were going to disagree with that and explain why you were optimistic enough to force yourself to watch something you don't even like. If you didn't want what you said questioned, post it on a blog, not a forum.

dizzon wrote:
Speaking of "shocked", I'm completely "shocked" in your lack of tact in responding to people in this thread.

Tact on an online forum seems like a wasted effort imo. A certain amount of politeness is good, but expecting everything sugar coated is too much.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Problem is you are assuming something based on very little info given on my part. I knew what this series was going to be from the start but was curious to see what people were talking about. I like fantasy settings and was actually enjoying this series on that level until they left that world for Japan. Now that they're in Japan this series has taken its agenda to another level to the point that it makes me uncomfortable.

So I haven't "forced" myself to watch anything I wasn't enjoying until this last episode. Which I pointed out was because I was interested in the ex-wife story. Now that I have that info I'm done. And now that I'm done with the show, I'm done with this thread.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
Problem is you are assuming something based on very little info given on my part. I knew what this series was going to be from the start but was curious to see what people were talking about.

All that I assumed was that someone watching it would know where the series was going early on, and you just confirmed that assumption to be true in your case.

dizzon wrote:
Now that they're in Japan this series has taken its agenda to another level to the point that it makes me uncomfortable.

Nothing since they went to Japan is more than what was there before that. Just more politicians only interested in pushing their own agenda as they plot under the table. If that makes you uncomfortable, then this wasn't ever going to be the show for you.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Yea, the portrayal of the Americans has been pretty abysmal in this show. It hasn't been limited to the usual stereotypes either. The Americans here are routinely portrayed as corrupt, devious (and bumbling) in addition to the usual "cowboy" image.

I do think there is something beyond just playing for the home team. Rory's lecture before the diet was hardcore military propaganda. There is definitely a message underlying this show and it's more than simple fantasy/military fetishism. That being said, thus far it hasn't been extremely offensive or anything, but I think that propaganda is definitely being asserted.

Personally, I feel like this show shines (to whatever limited degree that I it does, in fact, shine) best when they are in the fantasy world. Watching the Japanese military adapt to the fantasy environment and work with (and fight with) the citizens and monsters of that world is the best, and probably only merit of Gate. For that reason I think we might be more at a low point with the most recent episode.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Yea, the portrayal of the Americans has been pretty abysmal in this show. It hasn't been limited to the usual stereotypes either. The Americans here are routinely portrayed as corrupt, devious (and bumbling) in addition to the usual "cowboy" image.

I think you're wrong. The US being a bully on the international stage is definitely a 'usual' stereotype which the president filled this episode. Devious I think is also in there. I don't think corrupt is necessarily a common US stereotype, but it is a common stereotype of politicians and the politicians from other countries come off as corrupt as well.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I do think there is something beyond just playing for the home team. Rory's lecture before the diet was hardcore military propaganda. There is definitely a message underlying this show and it's more than simple fantasy/military fetishism. That being said, thus far it hasn't been extremely offensive or anything, but I think that propaganda is definitely being asserted.

Was that scene trying to make a point? Yeah. Calling it propaganda is a too much though. I don't think that point is really about the military though it certainly also applies there. Politicians have an angle they want everything viewed from and are going to word things and mention only the specific facts which will get others to see it their way. What that politician really wanted wasn't for the SDF to look bad. That was just a means to an end. What she really wanted was the opposing party to look bad for sending the SDF in the first place. The democrats and republicans do the same crap in the US. That scene was about party politics more than it was actually about the SDF.

You're also applying that line about the home team to something completely separate from how it was used in the review.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Personally, I feel like this show shines (to whatever limited degree that I it does, in fact, shine) best when they are in the fantasy world. Watching the Japanese military adapt to the fantasy environment and work with (and fight with) the citizens and monsters of that world is the best, and probably only merit of Gate. For that reason I think we might be more at a low point with the most recent episode.

I'm more interested with the SDF's interactions with the fantasy world as well, but I see this trip as somewhat necessary to move things forward. It doesn't make sense for the story to continue forever with the fantasy world's residents not understanding a thing about Japan so I think some of them did need to come through the gate.

The SDF has been taking a pretty passive approach so far. For there to really be more cooperation and conflict on the other side of the gate, the SDF would have to get more involved. It has been established that the Empire won't be able to lay a hand on the modern troops so the SDF maintaining their approach either means they're just left alone entirely or the Empire throws more soldiers at them pointlessly. If the SDF is going to change its approach, getting some information about why seems like a good idea. Now I'm just guessing that what we're seeing on this side of the gate will result in some kind of actions being taken on the fantasy side, and I could be wrong. I'm not ready to write it off as a waste of time yet though.

Since we primarily follow Itami around, for any of that to have a chance at getting the spotlight, Itami had to come back to get stuck in the middle of it. That also means the focus is going to be forced away from the fantasy world because our main protagonist is no longer there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 31