• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Attack on Titan Film Part 1 Opens in US

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickstack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a smaller theater near my apartment in NYC but I'm really not sure if it's worth seeing...
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Didn't this movie bomb? Critics said it was awful, viewers said it was awful... Director being vocal about the negativity...
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Freakmasta wrote:
Didn't this movie bomb? Critics said it was awful, viewers said it was awful... Director being vocal about the negativity...

Yeah, but Funi was probably obligated to advertise it. Well, at least Fukatsu no F worked out well for them.
lanierd2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
If the movie is bad, then its bad. But i am excited that one of my favorite anime shows, got a live action movie made, and its coming to the U.S. im showing up for it, and i am sure that most of the people who hated it will too.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Even if ya don't like the live-action changes, go and watch Eren get NTR! Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
The ANN review of it was pretty positive.

What I want to complain about is the lack of weekend showings! I can't afford to see a movie at 7:30 at night, I gotta work in the morning!

Oh well, I'll go anyways.
Vennex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty excited to see it, I need a good laugh at how terrible it is.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I watched it, it's a nice "what if" kinfd of like death note 2015. if you go expecting the same thing you saw in the anime but with actors, ytou are going to get dissapointed, this is more of a horror movie.

as for the what if, the premise isspoiler[what if the titans waited to destroy the wall until eren was 15]
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
We had a glitch at our showing of Attack on Titan Part 1 at the theater in Columbus that was showing it... (Gateway Film Center near OSU main campus).

The subtitles were okay until about 45-50 minutes into the film and then it just froze on "I've been waiting for this day for a long time!" or words to that comment. That became the chant in the theater 10 minutes later when it was obvious there was a problem with the SRT(?)/digital sub file.

They stopped the film about half an hour after the issue popped up and refunded everybody's money and gave us all a raincheck ticket stub (free movie showing).

I presume the problem will be fixed before the next showing tomorrow and the final one on October 7th... I'll probably check out the October 7th showing since I'm committed to something else tomorrow and really don't want to to go to the theater two days in a row.

I don't blame the theater OR the sponsor of the live-film event. Somebody goofed on the technical distribution or the computer ate the subtitle file. Imagine, if they had a 35mm film print there'd be no question of the subtitles being okay but they just don't print 35mm film prints much anymore. Pretty much the only thing shown on 35mm film are older films. (Yes, they still project 35mm film in some theaters.)

The problems with digital distribution of films really popped up today...
123oo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Somehow, the theater near my house showed it early by one day so I watched it last night. Not bad when I only considered it as standalone movie like Death Note 2015. spoiler[ I ship Armin and Sasha so bad lol they made good couple] look forward to part 2 because spoiler[Eren's dad wasn't in the movie so who gave him the power to become Titan]
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't as bad as most folks say it is, but it's not a good movie either.

There were definite issues in every aspect of the movie: acting, directing, writing, and effects. It could've easily been much better, and I can't entirely blame budget issues for most of the problems because they are the result of the filmmakers' choices. I am ok with the idea that changes from the source material are sometimes necessary for adaptations, but some of those changes were truly baffling in that I think they ended up somewhat sabotaging their own movie. The most glaring and destructive one being changing the reason behind Eren's hatred of the titans. spoiler[The Eren in the movie really needed his mother...without that tragedy, he comes off mostly as some whiny little brat. They tried to replace the mother with Mikasa and his resentment at being forced to live within walls, but both elements don't work since Mikasa lives (and it didn't even seem like he was all that attached to her in the first place) and the "prison" he lives in is actually pretty damn big and who is he to complain when everybody else, who actually are contributing members of that society, is living within the same walls?]

Part of the blame lies on the actor, Haruma Miura: when he wasn't scream-acting, he looked like he was just sleepwalking through the movie. Actually I thought both of the main leads (Miura and Kiko Mizuhara as Mikasa) were pretty bad. There was more posing than actual acting and they had NO chemistry whatsoever. I am not familiar with their other work, so maybe they've been great in other films and they just lacked proper direction here, I don't know, but I found myself wishing the supporting cast had more screen time than the two of them. I especially liked Kanata Hongô's Armin and Nanami Sakuraba's Sasha. Then again, how can you screw up Armin and Sasha? Takahiro Miura's Jean, Pierre Taki's Souda (pretty much Hannes), and Satomi Ishihara's Hange (though she was prone to overact just a bit, but then again, that's kinda very Hange) were pretty solid too. Hiroki Hasegawa's Shikishima was pretty much Levi, with a boost of the creep factor, but I actually quite enjoyed his work. Physically, he is not at all like the Levi we know, but oddly enough, he pretty accurately captured the spirit of Levi. It's kind of fascinating.

Anyway, if you haven't yet, try watching it in the theatre with fellow AoT fans. I don't think it would play well at all at home since you do need the crowd response. The titans were suitably creepy, and some of the mass murder scenes were chilling, but I wonder if it was more the idea of what was happening rather than the actual execution, since that left a lot to be desired too. While I did enjoy myself overall, the whole thing just made me wish, for once, that Hollywood would adapt AoT and hand it to a very capable director (NOT someone like Michael Bay, dear God, NO) with a decent sized budget. Hopefully that director would then cast solid actors, choosing the people based on talent and suitability, and not just looks or popularity (I know, I sound crazy even suggesting that possibility). I might be jinxing it by saying this, but I doubt they could do a worst job than the filmmakers did with this adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1