• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
This first episode of Perfect Insider was so uninteresting that I had actually forgotten how nice the OP was by the end. Thanks for reminding me of it, Rebecca.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
The Perfect Insider's reviews were pretty harsh, but reading them, it seems like the only series this fall I might actually like. At least, it's the one that jumps out at me that I should give a chance.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
This first episode of Perfect Insider was so uninteresting that I had actually forgotten how nice the OP was by the end. Thanks for reminding me of it, Rebecca.

Yeah, the OP is nice. Did anything actually HAPPEN in this episode. Wow... this has to be the least interesting thing I've seen in ages. It seems to be similar to the Monogatari series, but with absolutely no fun.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Please do not watch this show.

Well, I'd say that I'm going to spite watch it now... but I was definitely going to watch it anyway to see what all the buzz about the LNs was about.

Kuro shinigami wrote:
I can't believe that it was true that they crammed half of volume 1 in a single episode, so it seems that episode 2 will finish the first volume while episodes 3-4 will cover volume 2. I hope that there is at least 39 episodes so it isn't nearly as rushed as this considering the author mentioned that they will possibly try to adapt 9 volumes of the light novel, Otherwise it will end up worse than the second season of index which adapted 8 volumes of the novel with only 24 episodes. Either way i am displeased with this adaptation so far considering they cut out so much content in only the first episode.

Campione crammed a whole LN into its first episode, be happy they only tried to fit half Razz

I think it really depends on how the novels work. Tokyo Ravens did 9 LNs in a 2-cour series and it felt substantially better to me than Index II did.
spaceguineapig

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I tried to watch The Perfect Insider but it just sets my teeth on edge the way a lot of shows about Deep Genius type characters do. They always include lines about how stupid humans are and the audience is meant to think "Oh yeah they are, except for me obviously, I get it because I'm watching this Deep Insightful show"
Great OP though.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
At this point it probably mostly can be attributed to tradition. However, I've often wondered if part of the reason isn't that putting it in a school setting provides a convenient excuse for getting types of characters who probably would not otherwise associate with each other to interact.

I don't see why just having the characters assigned to squads or teams couldn't do the exact same without needing a classroom / school setting.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
For anyone interested in the car Moe was driving in Perfect Insider, it appears to be an Alfa Romeo 4C

More images here
I thought it was an Alfa from the front end when watching it, and it appears I was correct.

As for the series itself, let's see how it handles the mystery portion, presumably in the next episode. Hopefully it is as good as the readers thought it was as opposed to the reviewers thought it was.
spaceguineapig

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I don't see why just having the characters assigned to squads or teams couldn't do the exact same without needing a classroom / school setting.

I suppose it's just wish fulfillment. Going to magic battle school sounds a little more appealing than being a literal child soldier to most people.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
The first episode of Antimagic Academy was definitely faster than I thought it would be. I should probably reread the first volume to see if they skipped anything besides anpan, because the yelling her motivation thing seemed way earlier than I remembered.

The animation and voice acting is nice, though; Ouka's fight against the Dragoon was a particular highlight.

I do hope that despite the tragically low scores it gets onto weekly reviews; seeing what a reviewer thinks of later events would be interesting - assuming they don't cram 9 novels into 12 episodes.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Weird, this is one of the few times I disagree with the reviewers on a Preview Guide. I actually liked the dull muted "pretentious" Perfect Insider more than the colorful, upbeat Beautiful Bones because the characters are all full of themselves. That, for me, makes it a typical mystery show with the rich girl friends with another elite member of society (in this case an award winning scholar) and the duo seek out a closeted prodigy whose "too ingenious for this stupid world". The tone was more stable than Beautiful Bones which tried to add whimsical humor and the "cop who can't deal with dem young folks". The animation and art was stronger although Perfect Insider was mostly setup for a potential mystery on the island.

It reminds me alot of the first few episodes of Bakemonogatari in terms of characters just talking but, for now, it doesn't seem to aim for otaku pandering anytime soon. *shrugs* I liked it along with the beautiful OP animation so, I'll continue it. I will take Nick and everyone's advice to avoid Anti-Magic and, quite frankly, all the "magic high school LN adaptations" because three shows on the exact same premise shows how creatively bankrupt anime has been lately. Confused

Also, can we expect a preview of first episode of Seraph of the End on Saturday?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

Also, can we expect a preview of first episode of Seraph of the End on Saturday?

Yup! Saturday or Sunday. But not in the preview guide. Gabriella Ekens will just pick it right back up for daily streaming starting with episode 1. (Although if you are reading Seraph's daily streaming reviews, please vote for it in tomorrow's poll anyway for data purposes!) It's a rare case of a sequel where we know interest is high enough to be worth continuing coverage even before the poll, and we already happen to have someone assigned to it because they covered the prior season and wish to continue. Doesn't happen often, but may happen more frequently as time goes by and daily streaming continues into future seasons.

Last edited by JacobC on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
I will take Nick and everyone's advice to avoid Anti-Magic and, quite frankly, all the "magic high school LN adaptations" because three shows on the exact same premise shows how creatively bankrupt anime has been lately. Confused

35th Platoon seemed pretty different to me than the two other generic LNs of the season.

Not that that made it good, mind you. Just different. For one there wasn't any kind of school-sanctioned duel, nor there seemed to be any kind of inter-school tournament.

Then again those could always just show up later. The points these platoons aim to get do need a purpose, after all.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
I do hope that despite the tragically low scores it gets onto weekly reviews; seeing what a reviewer thinks of later events would be interesting - assuming they don't cram 9 novels into 12 episodes.

I think that is based just on votes rather than scores and I guess how many they can actually handle. I know I'll be voting for it.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I think that is based just on votes rather than scores and I guess how many they can actually handle. I know I'll be voting for it.

As long as it doesn't get hate-reviewed, I suppose. Do people honestly find those fun? It seems like a disservice to anyone actually involved in the process.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

As long as it doesn't get hate-reviewed, I suppose.

Don't worry, we don't do hate reviews - all of us reviewers turn in a list of what we'd like to watch, so if we end up not liking something, it isn't because we went into it that way.

Also, you're welcome about the opening theme. Very Happy I could seriously just watch that over and over. (Like I may or may not do with the video I linked to in my preview...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 37