• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beyond the Boundary (Kyoukai no Kanata) (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bin1127

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
I actually like the animation a lot. The battle sequences are eye catching and tightly choreographed. But why did they have to try to hard to moe trope mirai in ep 1. If they only did 1/10 th the troping we would've still known she was meant to be a air head clutz with bad ass sword skills. They tried way to hard. If they had tone it down it would've been a good anime.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Until tenth episode this anime was making sense. But then the project turned into fake absurd -- thanks to authors being lazy and/or stupid to come up with plot twists that do not ruin whole thing:

spoiler[1) once it was discovered that blood girl knew from very beginning who the half-demon boy is, all of the drama from previous episodes around that turned out to be fake.

2) in the end, the demon part of boy has returned into him, so there was no point in the whole thing whatsoever. Except for the blood-girl has died in vain.

3) Or not, as she just re-appeared out of the blue on last minute just for the sake of happy ending.]

Besides plot/scenario big-scale nonsense, other things are positive:

1) the moe factor is overestimated. It was not as nearly as annoying as main girly-loly shtick from the horrible in this regard anime Galileo Donna;

2) visual quality is really good, though, of course, a level lower than absolute top of what I have seen, which is Morbito and recent Fate series;

3) music is not outstanding, but very good.

I am weak on estimating things that Theron talks about -- except for logical issues, I usually skip problems with storytelling, "chemistry", and other subjective things, except for such non-nuanced things like blatant drag (not present here).

Overall, I rated this as "Very good".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:48 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
spoiler[1) once it was discovered that blood girl knew from very beginning who the half-demon boy is, all of the drama from previous episodes around that turned out to be fake.]

Not spoiler[faked, it was a case that she had just figured out at that time. She had not realized that the youmu side was a curse to him just like her blood was. She only figured it out when she saw that he was willing to risk becoming like that to help her, along with seeing that it had already hurt people close to him before and it would turn them against him.]

MaxSouth wrote:
spoiler[2) in the end, the demon part of boy has returned into him, so there was no point in the whole thing whatsoever. Except for the blood-girl has died in vain.]

Except he actually spoiler[learned to accept certain parts of himself that he was avoiding, although it could be easy to miss that this was the purpose as focus was rather subtle and it was easy to think a lot of his actions were failed attempts at humour.]

MaxSouth wrote:
spoiler[3) Or not, as she just re-appeared out of the blue on last minute just for the sake of happy ending.]

I do think that there might be something in a throw away line about Youmu spoiler[being the physical manifestation of strong feelings from people. And the fact that Mirai was inside Beyond the Boundary which then went inside him does not make her return seem impossible, especially since the extent of powers from her blood was not fully defined.]
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:33 am Reply with quote
1. spoiler[In the anime, it was shown that the blood-girl did not know half-monster boy's nature at all, not that she was surprise that it was burden on him, too. She did not know he had that burden. But on tenth episode, it turned out that she knew all along.]

2. spoiler[Not buying "accept" thing. Not like there was any issue boy's monster part trying to take control over him at the time blood-girl has met him. In fact, both times he blew up to monster state, it was forced by outer circumstances: he was taken either by evil spirit or his human part was frozen by sister-magician-hunter from the local ruling clan. Having boy's monster side returning to him is as dangerous as ever was, as whatever he "accepted" or not, there is no way to know for sure how and why he all of sudden will never loose control to his other side.]

3. spoiler[I know, it is not fully impossible, but it still seems stretched for the sake of happy ending. Without happy ending #2 would be crushing for the show as being complete waste, but with the bloody girl's re-appearance the ending is not a total disaster, even if that re-appearance (half year later?) does not make much sense.]
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
I read Akito Kinomoto's review but did not notice the rhyme,
So I'm glad I saw Willag's post and read it a second time!
Brilliant review!
My personal opinion differs, though. I did see a lot of subtle characterization, and the show's faults were more glaring to me when taken ep by ep than as a whole.

One aspect of the show everyone can agree on: the animation was absolutely spectacular! The art designs and color pallet have really spoiled me; no Winter 2014 show looks as good as Beyond the Boundary did.

The music is incredible, too. I have the OP & ED and have been listening to them continually (which is funny, because when I first heard the OP I thought it sounded too much like an ED and didn't like it. It, like the show itself, grew on me), but I also really love the instrumentals used within the eps, which as a musically ignorant person I don't always notice in a show. There was one insert theme that sounded like it came out of a Harry Potter music soundtrack that was particularly brilliant.

The characters were choppy, and I didn't always like the awkward humor. I really came to appreciate the main four characters by the end, even Mirai and Akihito as a couple clicked with me. Sakura was well used as comic relief. Her seiyuu had a great deadpan delivery.

I disliked the fact that the last few eps ask more questions than they answer. The motivations of Glasses Man, along with Akihito's true nature/who his father was, the nature of Beyond the Boundary itself, and the mystery behind Mirai's deaths and resurrections are left for LN readers to discover.

Overall I felt the show was definitely worth watching and would be very happy at news of a sequel, movie, or ova continuation. Even a manga adaptation, which would have a better chance of making to the states than the Light Novels do.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
OVA

spoiler[An action filled start was great!
Things from Nase's point of view..
Think he might have a slight sister complex.
The whole tug-of-war situation was LOL
It was nice to reminisce while watching this OVA.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
OVA

I don't feel any incredible feelings over this OVA, maybe because I don't think there were really any large reveals. We did get a little bit of a look at how different they were 3 years earlier to show parts that could only be assumed earlier. Like he the birth of spoiler[Hiroomi's complex came from his fear of losing the attachment of his sister, and frustrated over not being able to match his standards]. While Mitsuki's spoiler[jadedness might have been her distancing herself, and showing her much softer side]. Akihito spoiler[living by himself, frustrated over what he was], and it looked like his spoiler[mother was watching over him from the side, apparently already knowing about something to do with the cursed bloodline].

We got to see what the characters recalled about seeing Akihito losing control, the event that gave Hiroomi the scars, and everyone cautious about exactly what he is capable of. I took a look back at an earlier scene in the series, and I guess I have appreciation of the part where Hiroomi says that he was ready to kill Akihito if necessary, because he knew what he thought about it.

My favourite aspect of the show is Akihito x Mirai, so the lack of it hurts a little. Maybe a bit of Ai could have helped.
thebeats42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
I really liked this while I was watching it but I didn't like the ending.
I like it that she came back but there's no reason on how she did.
She made a big sacrifice a few episodes back but then it turned out to be useless and then she somehow came back. The ending kinda annoyed me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
Movie, 1 (I'll be here - Kako-hen)

I enjoyed this, I would call myself one of the fans that felt this show did surprisingly well, so I was happy to see again. I said before that my favourite aspect was Akihito x Mirai, so there was that.

First I will make it clear that this movie was a 80 minute or so retelling, don't expect really anything new story wise. At least until after the credits, then feel excited for more. The movie focuses on events on the series, with a focus on the main couple, and on the major challenges, but also skips over many things that would make it unwieldy to newcomers. Many of the characters don't get the development the series gave them, so without having series already you won't know what is happening. But there was a strength in this, and that was where this movie starts, after a short scene that was if taken from the original OP without the music, we are shown from Mirai's point of view exactly why she is there.

As a retelling I think there is surprisingly good reason to watch this as you are not only watching events again, but from Mirai's perspective of how she is meant to kill Akihito. Honestly I can't remember if it was a part of the tv series, but it feels much more poignant where we get to the scene where get it echoed for him in Akihito asking if he looks normal. I was really fond of how they had spoiler[from Mirai's point of view seeing Akihito and herself flash together as she saw how similar they are]. I don't remember if that was in the TV series (waiting in hopes of a dub), but it felt good.

The longest section are probably with the last episode or so I think being pretty much all put in, half of it is about the last couple of episode. It has the OP music put in where I think that it may have been in the series too during the climactic battle, this is the only point it is in the movie, and as someone who is a big fan of the soundtrack it feels like you have been waiting for it. And it finishes off with the ending song, which is still a personal favourite of mine, and made the whole thing feel worth it.

I think that is the thing, this was really a recap in terms of presentation of events by focusing on the Mirai and Akihito relationship that really might be worth the watch if you felt it sparked with you the first time. And if you had a problem with seeing events which you see different after you saw the 10th episode, this was good for seeing that side straight away as part of the narrative, kind of making Mirai's a little more cohesive. Despite knowing everything already it does not stop it from feeling intense.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
Movie 2 (I'll be here- Mirai-hen)

First things first, it was an excellent movie, so straight away I am putting a rating of Excellent.

We got a full finale of the series after the bombshell that was at the end of the retelling movie, that Mirai has lost her memories. Going off that we have a situation that Akihito has made everyone not tell her the truth, so she can live a happy, normal life. Actually that is not even quite revealed to later that Sakura's cold attitude to him was his own request. It actually gets a little frustrating because we know those kids went through too much for him to think sacrificing what they have will make either of them happy.

The movie in general does a great job in slowly warming up as Akihito is finally told that even if he does not want to reveal everything, he can't leave things the way they have become. From there the creators go into overdrive in recreating important parts of their relationship, there meeting taking place in the restaurant that one phrase (how unpleasant) which just gives a nostalgic smile. Before he really starts to get faced with the current situation really not fixing anything, that her insecurities are still there. The movie does not seem to do much special, but there feels like a really deliberate rise in this point as the threat of the movie comes into play.

Most importantly the movie then gives a theme that really seems to be the series as a whole, but almost seems new in how it is presented. It is about being alone, and it was that unresolved theme with regard to Izumi that is a huge part of the movie, that she really was alone also. On the flipside of the TV series/first movie, this movie is more about the darkness inside of Mirai rather than inside Akihito. And that the series name does not just refer to the name of the monster inside of him, but what lies "beyond the boundary" pf people, when their defences are lowered and they connect.

The climax of the movie gets really intense as we have a spoiler[dark Mirai], but rather than just have it look like an evil her, the way she acts shows that she seems to be panicked. Through explanation we are told that it is being pursued by their own darkness, and as we have insight into Mirai's past we see the struggle of being called a monster, and a "quest" from her mother at odds with what she decided. But her mother's love was not for that. Also have to take a moment for the awesomeness of mothers in this, with the addition of Yayoi (Akihito's mother). Was great reveal that Akihito's fondness of omurice comes from his mother giving it to him to cheer him up from being separated from normal children, and she makes him one again.

The ending feels so worth it as almost everything works out. A slideshow of next events was cute, funny, and heart-warming. Highlights of Izumi looking to be able to take it easy and recuperate after everything, also Akihito, Mirai and Mitsuki looking over a box of thing which included gas masks and costumes that apparently still smelt. I want to finish off in someway with the phrase "how unpleasant", but I certainly cannot say that since this was quite pleasant. I am really happy with this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 21 of 21