• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Owarimonogatari (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I felt like this was the weakest episode yet. Especially when it comes to the art. There were plenty of shots/sequences where everything looked like it was drawn rushed and off model and barely any interesting backgrounds (though story wise it makes sense that a bare room doesn't look all that interesting).
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
interpersonal problem with Oikura and her family (namely her mother) is a high point of this season imo.

Wasn't Hanekawa suspicious of Oikura's story as to what happened with her mom? For a moment I thought she had spotted a murder but by the end I don't think so.

That poor girl has been through a lot.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Wasn't Hanekawa suspicious of Oikura's story as to what happened with her mom? For a moment I thought she had spotted a murder but by the end I don't think so.

That poor girl has been through a lot.

She flagged up the issue with the door because she's Hanekawa and is too perfect to miss any nagging detail which is out of place. Now that she and Araragi have a commission, they will spend next week attempting to complete it in order to get Oikura back to class.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Wow, we learnet her story, and it was a big one. Oikura would be deadly in need of counsilling that should never be left to other minors, but we already know how the Monogatari series deals with problems. Have to give props to Oikura's VA for conveying her, there were several points completly different parts of her were shown. Just as it got different responses to me.

At first it had me thinking what right she had going off at Koyomi for being happy with what he has had to go through. It kind of made me a little angry at her. But as it slowly slips out that the truth really seems to be that she wants to blame Koyomi, she needs to blame him for all the terrible things she has gone through. And it really is kind of sad. And rather than plain pittying it comes from exactly why Tsubasa was such a perfect character for this, that some things can be damn hard and trying to be happy can feel even more painful, but she was only able to move forward and be happy after taking those steps to do so.

Maybe I am thinking too dark, or something not there, but is there hints that Oikura's mother may have died in he house? She did not eat, she stopped speaking, she was locked in a room, specific mentions of the house filled with garbage. Her memory of the situation might be slightly wrong like Koyomi's was. I am just hoping that her saying that daughters are supposed to be like their fathers was not foreshadowing that she may have become the abuser, locking her mother up. Maybe trying to get her to act like the happy family she wanted.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote

As expected, Ougi turns up to needle Araragi for his thick-headedness and challenges Hanekawa to prove she's not over the hill and just a portable version of an Araragi wet dream. Hanekawa being the genius that she is does turn the tables, but the truth they arrive at regarding the disappearance of Oikura Sodachi's mother shows just how much of a mess Sodachi ended up in because of the events which transpired with Araragi's non-intervention.

If anyone was in any doubt as to the chronological setting of this arc in relation to the other stories, Hanekawa's hair should be confirmation of what was previously mentioned in this thread.

Although Oikura Sodachi had her problems "solved" in the end her story is by far the most tragic of all the girls featured in this franchise. Perhaps this is why she ended up spoiler[being featured in the latest Monogatari release showing what happened to her after she transferred schools.]

Looking forward to the next arc, unlike this one featuring Ougi, Hanekawa, Araragi and a LOT of talking there is guaranteed action coming up which should be an interesting chance of pace.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

That was great!

They adapted the countdown part well and the word plays were flawlessly crafted. The truth wasn't easy to take even with all those hints about Oikura's mother but I think Araragi understands it. I love how they were were able to wrap this arc without hard feelings as it looks like Oikura forgave Araragi.

Can't wait for the next arc!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Maybe I am thinking too dark, or something not there, but is there hints that Oikura's mother may have died in the house? She did not eat, she stopped speaking, she was locked in a room, specific mentions of the house filled with garbage. Her memory of the situation might be slightly wrong like Koyomi's was.

Well, I was not thinking too dark after all. It seemed like the obvious answer, but perhaps also the one people don't want to admit.

One thing for certain was that Ougi was pissed. She indeed helped bring the truth, but only after ripping into both Koyomi and Tsubasa, a double hitting in insulting Tsubasa's worth did more to him. The final scene with Ougi was interesting, her mention of looking for a lost child as starting point does bring to mind Mayoi. But also of Nadeko where Ougi appears to her at around that place around that time on a bike, and leads to events cause a lot of problems.

Harleyquin wrote:
Although Oikura Sodachi had her problems "solved" in the end her story is by far the most tragic of all the girls featured in this franchise.

I think that Rouka's was actually one of the most tragic. Well she did spoiler[commit suicide].
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:07 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I think that Rouka's was actually one of the most tragic. Well she did spoiler[commit suicide].

There are some things worse than spoiler[death by depression] since the latter is also a means of escape. I always found Rouka to be more simplistic a character and not someone one could empathise with either, but that's just me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Wow, I just love the style of the new OP song. Quite stylistic.

Really nice to see Kanbaru this arc as well. She's energetic as ever.

Good episode, loved the interactions between her and Araragi, in particular of them catching up. The part with the Samurai Warrior was kinda weird considering it's empty. Loved the word plays of this episode as well. It's good to see Kanbaru in action!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Long time no see, Kanbaru. Still as nutty as ever around your beloved senior Araragi as usual.

Looks like the producers couldn't get Sakamoto Maya to do a song this time round, but the OP animation is very fitting for this story arc and is really well done despite the non-vocal accompaniment.

Viewers confused about the timeline and the characters should rewatch Nekomonogatari (Shiro) since the events in that arc overlap with this one. Shinobu Time might also be worth a re-read/re-watch since it's the only reminder of what the sentient armour really is.

Again, viewers are treated to a short cameo from Ougi as she extracts the story of what happened before she transferred to the school from Araragi. This is not the first time it's happened in the series as seen via the adaptations; what might be worth highlighting is why she can pull this off successfully each and every time against Araragi.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
So this is connected to how Shinobu was worshiped as a god when she came to Japan?

So we have Suruga showing up, but Tsubasa was also apparently involved..... Oh that is right, Tsubasa burnet the cram school down during Nekomonogatari (shiro), and it was the arc that Koyomi went missing and there was something with Suruga. I had been waiting for this other side of the story.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
So this is connected to how Shinobu was worshiped as a god when she came to Japan?

This along with Shinobu Time provide the full background to that sequence of events.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
Random comment: I find it interesting that almost all the seiyuu sing their own OP for their arcs but they haven't gotten Maaya Sakamoto (Shinobu's VA) to do one. She's a very good singer.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
Random comment: I find it interesting that almost all the seiyuu sing their own OP for their arcs but they haven't gotten Maaya Sakamoto (Shinobu's VA) to do one. She's a very good singer.

She didn't sing the OP for Onimonogatari either, so it's probably a contractual/commitment issue since she is the heroine who has not featured in an OP song to date in the animated adaptations.

Alternatively they get her to sing for the OP song in the upcoming movie since that is technically Kiss-shot's debut in the franchise according to the chronological order of events. Some of the other VAs have done multiple OPs however so I'm betting on a contractual issue being the cause.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Alternatively they get her to sing for the OP song in the upcoming movie since that is technically Kiss-shot's debut in the franchise according to the chronological order of events. Some of the other VAs have done multiple OPs however so I'm betting on a contractual issue being the cause.

Kizu is Araragi's arc, and if we don't get a Kamiya OP I riot. And by riot I mean I might make one or two slightly angry/disappointed-worded posts on the internet. That'll teach 'em.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6