• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wolf's Rain (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingYaba

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
But I honestly think Darcia was damned for his actions. Partways because of his violent death, a death caused by him trying to enter Paradise. He literally went up in aurora-flames. Gee. Wonder where they took him? Wink Hamona's clearly in Paradise, though, as her soul escaping there without him is the whole basis for Darcia's mad quest. But Darcia? He (and all other Nobles, it is heavily implied) was a "fallen wolf," the demon archetype of the story who pines for Paradise and rails against those who cast him out, but hungers for the wrong reasons, selfish and arrogant dreams of domination. They make enough references to the existence of hell for us to posit that that's where he ended up, even if he was an understandable and fairly sympathetic villain: a villain nonetheless.

Your post reminded me of "Paradise Lost" and I may be drawing comparisons where they don't exist but I'll do it anyway. Darcia and the fellow Nobles reminded me of Milton's "Paradise Lost" and the fallen angels. Darcia and Satan have similar traits. Both are rational and irrational (or should I say passionate?). Darcia is from a family of science (rational side) who created the Flower Maiden. The problem is he pursued Paradise with the wrong mentality. But that didn't stop him. His passion for regaining or claiming Paradise blinded his rational side (here's the irrational, passionate trait). His love blinded him his lust for Heaven clouded his judgment. Afterall, his loved one was in suspended animation or something (she's dead, bro! and her soul left him) and he hoped he could enter Paradise with her, but all that effort was in vain. He also selfishly wanted to unlock Paradise himself for himself. Anyway, he perused false paradises (Jaguara's for one) until at the end of the series he realized all was in vain yet took it on himself to try anyway. Darcia struck me as jealous because I bet he recognized Kiba was the "chosen one" to unlock Paradise. Sort of like Satan. Satan pursued Paradise with the wrong mentality as well, He was a jealous individual. Jealous of God's power and jealous that God is the way to Paradise, not Lucifer not Darcia... Kiba is the way Paradise. Satan pursued his own Paradise despite the fact that God and the Angels outnumbered Satan and his forces three to one. Satan's rational side understood this and understood the futility of waging war yet his rage and passion (irrational side) was inescapable and led to his fall.

Both Satan and Darcia actively sought to ruin Paradise for others while engaged in their own selfish pursuit. Darcia killed the wolves and his eye (sin?) soiled the new world. Satan, knowing he would never be successful against God strait up, attacked mankind and ruined Paradise (Eden) while tainting mankind (sin).

Satan and Darcia, without question, are selfish. They both can be interpreted as evil yet I sympathize with them both. It's a sad story that's doomed to be repeated.

Back to the thread starter's original question, I am very happy with the ending. I think the series was written well and it ended well. Certainly a few lessons to be learned in all of this. For one, blind passion will be our downfall but more importantly, I think everyone in this story forgot to take break and enjoy the ride. Kiba especially. I think Kiba's main flaw was the fact that he was in such a hurry throughout the entire series to reach Paradise he failed to take a time-out and enjoy himself. He never once had a date with Cheza. He never once sat at a park and enjoyed the moment. He was so caught up in his quest I was amazed he didn't suffer the same fate as Darcia. Or did he? At the very end Kiba was running even faster! My goodness slow down! If anything, life doesn't last forever and we all need to take a step back and enjoy the little things. Take some time out and enjoy yourself. For those in high school or college, please understand that this academic experience does not last forever. Treasure it because when it's gone, it's gone. Take it day by day and enjoy the ride. Slow down. Paradise can wait.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5