• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Confirms Development of PS4 Remote Play App for PC, Mac

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
remote play...

personally i don't see the point of it... since a 32-40 in tv is around $150-$200?

if it's portable then focus on android or iphones since most people have a smart phone now a day

the Vita like an accessory now a day... no sale what so ever for the Vita this year as well (beside being $170 like it was 5-6 months ago)

Playstation TV is now $20 at bestbuy..

Last edited by AnimeAddict2014 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
So is Sony now trying compete with the wii u's built in control screen or something. Confused
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:39 am Reply with quote
MS is already doing this with Xbone

My question, is why would i want to stream from low end systems like PS and Bone to my far more powerful PC?

If the game is on PC i'm getting it on PC, and the few, very few console games out there i tend to get are party games best played around a TV, noting i already have a PC media center hooked up to my tv, and hardware wise it's about equal to the Bone in power (the media center not my main tower)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
0seveN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:

My question, is why would i want to stream from low end systems like PS and Bone to my far more powerful PC?

If the game is on PC i'm getting it on PC, and the few, very few console games out there i tend to get are party games best played around a TV, noting i already have a PC media center hooked up to my tv, and hardware wise it's about equal to the Bone in power (the media center not my main tower)

If you primarily game on a different system and have no interest in non-party game PS4 games then naturally you aren't in the intended audience for this feature. Obviously this would be for people who play PS4 games.
consignia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:

That assumes your PC is more powerful. What if it's a low end laptop that just about meets the streaming requirements. You can then take PS4 anywhere in your home.

I don't think there's a huge number of use cases, but it's probably something that costs very little to implement since they already do this with the Vita and that TV thing, and adds a feature to the list.
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:08 am Reply with quote
This could be useful to me since I share our HDTV so I can't always play on my PS4, but I could stream to my PC just fine.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:51 am Reply with quote
Oh, that's really interesting turnabout after the unofficial Remote Play for PC announce from independent modder. I was expecting something else than that kind of thing.

Although it is possible that they planned to do that in the future... but decided to announce it now because of the emergence of unofficial application.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:03 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:

Ya don't need a very powerful PC to play XB1 games on the PC. The XB1 does most of the work, while the game streams to the PC. Any new PC should be able to do it, even some Intel tablets.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:

Ya don't need a very powerful PC to play XB1 games on the PC. The XB1 does most of the work, while the game streams to the PC. Any new PC should be able to do it, even some Intel tablets.

But at the same time like 90% of the XB1 games are also on PC. And it's actually cheaper to get a PC stronger than an XB1, than an XB1 costs.

As for PS4, it actually has a bunch of console exclusives like Star Ocean 5, Disagae 5, and probably the newest version of Blazblue (Arcade only right now). So for me, this would let me play those games on my PC if I don't feel like playing in the living room.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
As for PS4, it actually has a bunch of console exclusives like Star Ocean 5, Disagae 5, and probably the newest version of Blazblue (Arcade only right now). So for me, this would let me play those games on my PC if I don't feel like playing in the living room.

I don't think it's unlikely for any (if not all) of those games to wind up on PC.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
Yup, since the architecture for PS4 games is so similar to PC now there's really no point in holding back a port for most titles. There will be far more PS4 games heading to Steam/PC than the previous generation, though it will probably be a year or two after the initial release I'd guess.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

But at the same time like 90% of the XB1 games are also on PC. And it's actually cheaper to get a PC stronger than an XB1, than an XB1 costs.

Not cheaper. XB1 now costs ~$300 this holidays; ya can't really build a good gaming PC for less than that. But ya can build a better gaming PC than XB1 equivalent for about the same price or just a bit more.

Also depends on games. Some games like sports are usually better played on consoles, while games like simulation and RPG are usually better played on PCs. FPS can be played on either. But eventually what they want ya to do is buy a game once and play it on either one to your preference without the need for streaming.

Kougeru wrote:

Also, many of those eventually end up on Steam more sooner than later. Steam is also making their own Steam boxes. And it's helping many 3rd party independent publishers since it's becoming easier to publish on that platform than on consoles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1