• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Singapore's Odex Directors Speak as Protests Continue

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:31 am Reply with quote
Not another pro- vs. anti-fansub debate, please. It ain't pretty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:59 am Reply with quote
Zac: So basically you declare anything people say in defense of downloads as details and declare that anyone who ever downloads Anime isnt a real fan and has no morals and has never contributed a cent to the industry because we all think america screws everything up.

Zac wrote:
I'm screaming at a brick wall here anyway so I don't know why I'm even bothering.

Yeah...Were the brick walls.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Zac: So basically you declare anything people say in defense of downloads as details and declare that anyone who ever downloads Anime isnt a real fan and has no morals and has never contributed a cent to the industry because we all think america screws everything up.

No, not at all, and I should clarify this point.

There are of course many fans who download a lot of fansubs and also say they buy DVDs and support the industry and pay the artist who's entertaining them. That's great but I think people are really glossing over how big an issue fansubbing is.

Let's take a popular series, say Kekkaishi. The average episode of Kekkaishi sees 25,000+ downloads, and that's just from the one fansubber I'm looking at. Multiple groups sub that series, so the real numbers are likely twice or three times that number.

If 25,000+ people bought an anime DVD that would be a massive ridiculous success. If 25,000+ people paid even a dollar to watch that episode, it would be a big deal, something quoted in a press release, something the original creators could be proud of, something that would help bolster the industry as a whole.

You can justify it all you like, but the numbers don't lie. There are FAR more people downloading fansubs for free than there are buying anime DVDs. Plain and simple. The fanbase is growing, but sales are slumping. The product isn't worth anything to a large number of people who consider themselves "fans" but don't actually contribute to the economy of their obsession.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:42 am Reply with quote
okay, but in this case numbers can very much lie. Sure 25,000+ or whatever number of people downloaded it. That means 25,000+ people are willing to buy it at a price of $0. However that does not mean the willingness to buy at a price of $25 would also be 25,000+ This is exactly what I was talking about in the question of wether people would actually buy it or not if a download was not available.

Im not claiming that all these people wouldnt buy it if they couldnt download, but I do think a significant portion would just do without. Its a factor you cant simply ignore when discussing this.

Quote:
The fanbase is growing, but sales are slumping. The product isn't worth anything to a large number of people who consider themselves "fans" but don't actually contribute to the economy of their obsession.

I dont necissarilly disagree with this, but is there any actual proof that the percentage of people downloading is increasing? I dont doubt that downloads take a chunk out of industry profits, but Im not entirely sold on the fact that the industry is losing increasingly more (relative to the size of the industry).

Also, I dont like the attitude that because someone does or doesnt download it makes them more or less of a fan either way. I mean, youre clearly think the attitude that "you're not a real fan unless you download everything you watch and outright refuse to ever pay for any of it because America always screws it up." Sure you think that you obviously shouldnt download and the america = bad thing is stupid. However they think that obviously america = bad and the you shouldnt download think is stupid. So either way it comes down to if people dont agree with me then theyre not a true fan. I really dont think wether youre a "fan" is dependent on this kind of thing.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:09 am Reply with quote
mskala wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
So if I want to drive a 2008 truck instead of my 2000, I should just go to a lot to test drive one & not bring it back because I really want one, but I can't afford a new car?

Many people try to draw analogies between theft and copyright infringement, but it really doesn't work. Copying something is not "taking" it. Copyright infringement would be more like test-driving the 2008 truck, returning it, but then going home and building a truck just like it for yourself. The owner of the 2008 truck would probably prefer that you buy it instead of building one of your own, and they might even have a legitimate claim that it's in some way unfair for you to "take" the test drive when you don't plan to buy the truck and you're going to use what you learn during the test drive in order to educate yourself on how to build a copy... but there's no meaningful way that that scenario can be called "taking" the 2008 truck itself. The owner still has it. They can still drive it or sell it. You didn't take it away from them. Even if there's some misconduct of some sort in that scenario (did you lie about why you wanted the test drive?), it's not simple theft.

Similarly, all a copyright holder loses from copyright infringement is the hypothetical future profits that they claim to be entitled to because of copyright law. Those hypothetical profits don't have the same kind of natural reality that physical property has. They didn't exist until someone created them through copyright law. (Note: I'm talking about "economic" copyright. In some places there is also something called "moral" copyright, which is a different animal and not relevant here.).

No, it is stealing plain & simple. You, like ny friend George who thought it was ok for his wife to wear an article of clothing for 2 years & then take it back as "unsatisfied" are looking for loopholes to wiggle thru.

The "use of a truck may be physically different in that one must possess it while the "use" of art is different. If I want to enjoy "art", I pay a museum to go inside & admire it. downloading is the equivelant ot one's friend letting one in side door when no one is looking to save the cost of admittance. Once the art is viewed, arguably the value goes away--this is more true for literature than art & also depends on the person. The "Been there/done thats" having seen don't feel the need ot see again while others maybe do want to see it again (Another excuse I've seen for downloading. "I only want to see it once, why should I pay to own a dvd?""Anyone who pays for a dvd is stupid. You can download all the anime you want for free!!!"
So, I'm sorry. All your law school 101 doesn't wash. I fail to see how you can talk about how some laws need to be ignored & apply that to dowwnloading anime. All that does is put you in the camp that wants to break whichever laws they don't feel like obeying, but who scream when that cop gives them a ticket.
If you pratice Civil Disobediance, be prepared to take the consequences. Just because "Everyone else is speeding, why did I get a tickert?" is a common excuse, it's a stupid excuse. "WHy bust me? I'm just speeding! Go bust a hooker on the Blvd!" The cop caught you. Maybe your dog pooed on someone's lawn & you didn't clean it. Maybe you were driving in the car pool lane because you were really late for work. Doesn't matter. They are stupid reasons for ignoring the law.

An artist's property is his/her ideas. An actor's property is the performance. Once a downloader has seen those, how does he make it right except by tossing some money in the hat of the performer? Just because you can't physically steal a copy of an anime so the next person can't view it doesn't mean your watching it for free isn't stealing that artist''s work.
It is not like building a truck. That doesn't even translate to downloading. God...It would be like someone who has seen the show describing it to you & you drawing your own version & getting people to perform it is the closest I can come to your example.
mskala wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
t;]Pretty much everyone has access to home video/dvds which all state plainly in several languages the item in the viewer's player is intended for personal use only-mass showings require the permission of the copyright holder.

Yes, and if you read this message, then you have to pay me $20. Just because they said it doesn't mean they have any legitimate right to enforce it..

If no one sees you murder someone or if you're never caught for the murder, is the dead person any less dead just because you were never caught?
I've seen far too many people express the idea it's only a crime if one gets caught.
There is no grey area, only what people make it. Excuses escuses excuses.
My boss several yrs ago had a sister who used to get tickets in her name all the time so she'd have to take her time off work to clean up her side of her sister's mess. That person not carrying ID on her so that she can claim to be someone else isn't really causing physical hurt, but it did cost my boss time off work (productivity) to get the ticket out of her name so she wouldn't get warrant issued for her. But her siser can argue it didn't cause any lasting harm & the sister evaded arrest for another day or so until it all finally catches up to her.

mskala wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
t;]It's not yours, don't take it doesn't work?

That doesn't work because it has nothing to do with copyright infringement.

Look, if you think downloading is "taking," wouldn't it make sense for repentant downloaders to give back their ill-gotten files? Shouldn't they get together all those fansub files and email them to the copyright holders? Wouldn't that be a good idea?

The reason it wouldn't be a good idea is a good clue to why copyright infringement is completely different from theft of physical property..

If its' not yours. Don't take it.
Street performers do their thing hoping you'll toss a qurter in the hat omly because they don't have the higher outlet. Stage actors perform onstage & you have to have a ticket to see their show (unless you sneak in/effectively stealing their art. Free passess are still tickets & don't count) If the performance is free, someone else has footed the bill.
How is that so alien a concept to grasp?
Ok, I know I'm a Gemini & I lose people, but I know that's as plain as day.

mskala wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
t;]If I go out to dinner maybe everythings perfect except one item isn't to my taste, I would never refuse to pay for the meal over one item.

There you go again with equating copyrighted works to physical property. Once you eat the food they can't sell it to somebody else; something physical has actually been taken away. A better analogy to copyright infringement would be "I think the hamburgers at McDonalds are too expensive, so I'll stay home and cook hamburgers of my own instead. Oh, they turned out to be very similar to McDonalds hamburgers." By doing that it could be said that I'm "taking" the profits that McDonalds "should" have gotten for the burgers I would otherwise have bought... but they aren't, and shouldn't be, able to prosecute me for it.

Now, all that said, I do think there's some legitimate basis for having a copyright law. It provides a useful incentive for people to create artistic work, if they think they'll have a state-sponsored monopoly that'll help them make money. Rewarding creators is good. Commercial exploitation of work by people who aren't paying the creator, is bad. I don't participate in or encourage commercial piracy operations. But copyright is not a natural right, it isn't above question, and equating copyright infringement with theft of physical property is intellectual dishonesty.

No. Again your example is just cooked to back you up. It doesn't fly.
The use of food IS very similar to the use of art. Once art is viewed, it can't be
unviewed". There's just some people who like to see something more than once & some people who see it once & are done with it. I have Supernatural on home dvd because I like the show. I know people who think it's insane to buy dvds of shows one casn see for free on tv.
Again..I'm not even sure I could make your example fit. Because there's IS no getting away from the fact you have used the product you've downloaded in the manner it has been intended to be used. Cooking your own burgers at home would be the equivelent of soneone telling you what happened in the episode. The minute you watch the ep, you've "used" the ep in the prescribed manner.
Why wiggle out of it?
Stealing is stealing.
I used to get people all the time when I worked as an info opertor wanting the court--"Criminal. Civil, Traffic, or Small Claims?" Almost always when people had a non traffic ticket, they would say "Civil-I got a ticket for dog off the leash" (or some such non-traffic violation) & when I informed them that was criminal & gave them the number, about ha;f would freak "I'm not a criminal!". Tickets are Traffic or Criminal. :I'm a Criminal?" No one thinks of themselves as such, but we've all broken the law at some point whether we've gotten a ticket or not. (I know I was totally lost one time & drove thru a stop sign without noticing until I was well into the intersection. Luckily no cops nor cars were there to slam me. Doesn't change I know damn well I broke a traffic law for failure to yeild. Speed limits are an entirely flexible concept in SoCal also. )
So if I know I've broken the law whether I got caught or not, why is it so difficult for downloaders to know they are getting something others pay for & not paying for it which is stealing?
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:09 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
mskala: Dude, this is the ANN boards. The place where some people apparently believe that fansubbers are out to destroy the North American anime business (and then the Japanese one, while they're at it), and where some people apparently can't even begin to imagine that fans in other countries may be in a different situation than American fans. (Disclaimer: the above sentence contains one slight exaggeration. Maybe.) I think you do make some good points, but you certainly didn't pick the best place to express them... Smile

Which'ld be great and all if the Pro-Fansub people weren't all Canadians and Americans argueing about their right to download anime...... let alone that much of what gets bootlegged is doneso in english.....

The Phillipines, Singapore, China, Australia and several parts of Europe all have their own legitimate manga and anime importing industries, and broadcasters btw.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:13 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Well, it needs to be dragged out as often as possible, until more people are made aware of the issues involved. Fansubs aren't the wonderful fantasy land Naruto fans would have you believe.

There's a lot of badness/ugly involved in them, that DOES have a negative effect on the domestic anime industry.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:15 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
dormcat wrote:

Well, it needs to be dragged out as often as possible, until more people are made aware of the issues involved. Fansubs aren't the wonderful fantasy land Naruto fans would have you believe.

There's a lot of badness/ugly involved in them, that DOES have a negative effect on the domestic anime industry.

Who the hell cares? Anime will never stop peeing produced
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:20 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Quote:
The fanbase is growing, but sales are slumping. The product isn't worth anything to a large number of people who consider themselves "fans" but don't actually contribute to the economy of their obsession.

I don't necissarilly disagree with this, but is there any actual proof that the percentage of people downloading is increasing? I don't doubt that downloads take a chunk out of industry profits, but Im not entirely sold on the fact that the industry is losing increasingly more (relative to the size of the industry).

I'm pretty sure the japanese creaotor of the product you're bootlegging wouldn't consider you a fan.......

Anyhoo, you're brushing over the issue- fans would be more likely to buy anime if they weren't being trained that Anime Should Be Free, and that Buying Anime Is Evil from THECOPORATIONS, which is the speel I hear from every fansub fan I know. A friend of mine insisted to my face that *all* american aniem companies were out to get her, and ruined *every* anime they've ever released.

There's a real disconnect with reality, that affects peoples values in the process.

Don't tell me we don't have problems when over 1 million people are signed up to a certain website which maintains itself by offering a subscription price for them to download oodles of licensed anime they don't have permission to offer.

If those 1 million people all went out and bought Naruto Vol.1, Viz would turn around, jump for joy, make uncut Naruto boxsets monthly, and start releasing more anime in general. Instead, we have an industry in a decided slump, which means there's no chance of us getting say, Dr.Slump.

Zac's just telling the truth, and not glossing over issues.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:22 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
No, it is stealing plain & simple. You, like ny friend George who thought it was ok for his wife to wear an article of clothing for 2 years & then take it back as "unsatisfied" are looking for loopholes to wiggle thru.

I dont know why people have such trouble wrapping their head around the concept mskala is trying to explain. You example is not the same as the store cannot resell the returned clothing. Your friend might as well have stolen it since the store has lost that item and recieved no payment. When you download something, the company has not lost 1 of its product. All you are doing is painting everything as black and white, colors which issues rarely are.

Quote:
Just because you can't physically steal a copy of an anime so the next person can't view it doesn't mean your watching it for free isn't stealing that artist''s work.

If you want to claim that it is a type of stealing thats one thing, but you must recognize that it is not identical to other types of stealing. Again, this is why you cant paint everything as black and white.

CCSYueh wrote:
If no one sees you murder someone or if you're never caught for the murder, is the dead person any less dead just because you were never caught? I've seen far too many people express the idea it's only a crime if one gets caught.

And Downloading Anime has been subtley compared to Murder. Don't ya just love Fansub debates?

CCSYueh wrote:
Excuses escuses excuses.

CCSYueh wrote:
No. Again your example is just cooked to back you up. It doesn't fly.

Sure, its excuses when we point out stuff in defence of downloads but when you point out why downloads are bad its fact! Why are your arguements any more valid than ours? Why arent your examples just as "cooked up" to back up what you're saying. Infact, all you're really doing is repeatedly throwing out black and white moral judgements based on no actual analysis of the issue. It amounts to yelling "you got it without paying so you're stealing!" and "Anything you say is an excuse" If thats all you base your opinion on fine, but youre not going to convince anyone with it so you might as well give it up.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:28 am Reply with quote
I'm saying this in good faith that it hasn't been picked up on due to a lack of thread search;

I'm sure one of the main areas of contention is the fact that the odex releases of the series are total and utter arse in all ares concerned and from what it's been said, don't realy command giving 26$sing. for them, regardless of how many eps is being thrown at conumer at time of poke.

Whilst it wouln't totaly eracicate the threat, it would probably help matters.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Paploo wrote:
dormcat wrote:

Who the hell cares? Anime will never stop peeing produced

If the american anime industry stops licensing titles, then Japanese companies will stop producing as many new titles. Pretty much *everything* Gonzo and Production IG make are corproductions for example, with a very quick turnaround to our markets. They both depend on the US market to produced the diversity of anime that they do.

If Japanese companies dont' get funding from foriegn companies, then they can't make as much anime as they do, and overall quality will decline. The licensing fees international anime distributors pay them provide the funds necessary to make a 13 episode series into a 24 episode one, or to finish off an OVA series that might not be as popular in Japan. We wouldn't have Big O II, Street Fighter Generations, the 2nd season of Ultimate Muscle, the 2nd MD Geist OVA series. Series like Eureka 7, which was a coproduction with Bandai Entertainment, wouldn't exist at all without the involvement of domestic and international anime distributors funding.

Even Studio Ghibli depends on Disney's financial involvement to make their movies as advanced as they do, providing them with international distribution, and distrubition within Japan that allowed them more stablity after their split with Tokuma Shoten.

Without the involvement of the international market, who make up for a slumping domestic industry, a lot less anime would get made, and a lot of your favorite series would not exist. Even the manga industry is depending on foriegn licensing to make its ends meet now, and they were a far larger/sturdier juggernaut then the less stable anime market.

Animation is an expensive product to create, and most companies tend to break even, and move onto the next production once they secure finances. If there isn't enough profit, they can't make more [and this is something that stands for animation worldwide- many Canadian companies depend on international distrbution profits too]

As US anime fans bootleg up the wazoo, Japanese fans are also being discovered to be more open in their bootlegging, which has led to a LOT of lawsuits, prison sentences, and website closures in Japan. This stuff is all indicative of the problems some fans are making for anime producers. We really should clean up our act.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:43 am Reply with quote
You're saying that as if it's one way.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:44 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
You example is not the same as the store cannot resell the returned clothing. Your friend might as well have stolen it since the store has lost that item and recieved no payment. When you download something, the company has not lost 1 of its product. All you are doing is painting everything as black and white, colors which issues rarely are.

While the company hasn't lost a product, it's product has lost value- instead of being something you pay honestly 20 bucks for at HMV, it's someting you can just hop on the interenet to dishonestly watch grainy video of full of cursewords and typos in garish pink animated font.

It teaches people that they can get someonelses property for free. It's bootlegging, without the knowledge, involvment or permissions of the creators. Is it much to ask to respect creators basic rights?

ikillchicken wrote:

And Downloading Anime has been subtley compared to Murder. Don't ya just love Fansub debates?

I do think this is an example of how silly this debate can get, but at the same time, it is valid in a way....... fansubs fans will stretch it as far as they can, and that was basically what you're saying- it's okay if I commit a crime so long as I don't get caught and _______ and _________ are reasons why it's not really a crime at all blah blah blah

If it's a crime, it's a crime. You can say whatever to defend yourself, but however it's dolled up, it's still illegal.

You're just making stuff up to cover your butt, and to make sure you don't feel quilty......

ikillchicken wrote:
Why are your arguements any more valid than ours?

Because ours are usually supported moreso by facts and actual law?
ikillchicken wrote:
"you got it without paying so you're stealing!"

Well, that is the definition of stealing. It's pretty basic, black/white stuff.

Last edited by Paploo on Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:48 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
You're saying that as if it's one way.

Well, it is.

That is the truth. Japanese companies do depend on foriegn investment to continue their current level of anime production. ADV has openly stated that a lot of what they license is licensed before production even begins- they do a lot of coproductions.

Kite's upcoming sequel only exists because Media Blasters is producing it. Without their funding it wouldn't exist. Geneon USA and ADV's logos pop up in more and more japanese productions in the actual japanese credits, and without their involvement, those anime series would have poorer animation or lower episode counts, because it's their involvement that helps make a difference.

Anime might still exist if the US, European and Asian distribution companies fans stupidly take to task for such reasons like protecting their intellectual property so much disappeared, but it wouldn't be as plentiful, diverse or finanically viable.

These are all *very* small, independant production companies, like most japanese anime companies are, who depend very much on day to day profits. They do not have the kind of financial resources Disney or Warner Brothers do, and are far, far smaller then anime fans think. When Animeigo literally only has 5 employees, and depend on the sucess of their releases to continue releasing great titles like Yawara and their live action titles to us, it's kind of shitty of fans to say "why pay for it when I can download it for free"

If Singapore fans want better dvd's from Odex, there's better ways to let them know they ripping them off and sending them death threats. Odex has put out some quality products, and if they had better distribution and were more stable, and didn't have to put up with all that intellectual property theft, they could probably do a lot better.

And US companies would have to outsource production less if we supported their products more. If you want quality, you have to make sure companies can afford it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7