• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN on Firefox is hogging my CPU

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why, but for the past few weeks, loading ANN on Firefox is murdering my CPU usage. fast.animenewsnetwork.com/ is set as my homepage on Firefox, and for the past few days my CPU jumps up to 30+% whenever I start up Firefox. The screen never completely loads and trying to do anything on Firefox (open a new tab, type in the search bar, click on a link on ANN) takes minutes to do. I'm currently typing this on a Chrome browser, and while the front page took a little while to load, it stopped loading after 5-10 seconds. There's a 1-2 second delay when opening the forums, but overall it's reasonable. I think part of the issue is that Firefox in general has been giving me some issues for the past few weeks, but ANN is the only site that seems to have this much trouble.

I imagine that there are too many variables to possibly pin this down. I just wasn't certain if this was only me or if others were having this issue.

I've set my homepage to www.google.com and I'll see if I have any loading issues within the next few days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
Are you using ad-blocking? (As a moderator, you don't have to reply publicly to this question. Very Happy)
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
I have an ad-blocker, but I've set ANN as an exception on both Firefox and Chrome. Though I should probably double-check to see if that's still true when I get home.

Could specific ads be causing the problem? Causing the page to not stop loading?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Could specific ads be causing the problem? Causing the page to not stop loading?

Yes.
I have no idea if an ad is causing your problem, but it definitely is possible.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I use "Adblock Browser" on my Android phone, which is a re-spin of Firefox that adds the blocking code directly into the browser. It hangs from time to time on this site.
zetagod

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I have been having the same problems. It started a couple of weeks ago when I noticed those video ads popping up so maybe the combo of the video ads and the Firefox update are not meshing very well. But even IE seemed a lot slower to me. The same thing is happening on multiple computers of mine.

I originally did not block any ads and that is when it started getting really slow. Today I turned on the ad Blocking and it is actually quite a bit faster but still slower than usual.
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I have been having the same problem with ANN in Firefox.

There are video advertisements that significant slow down the performance of my computer, and I'm using a relatively capable computer.

I don't use adblock on ANN, but as soon as I turned on adblock for ANN the website was easier to browse and my computer fan could take a break. At the time of activating adblock, there was a video advertisement for something called 'Hooplaha'.

Please fix this so that I can browse ANN again without this problem.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
I just removed the video ads from the site.

They paid very well, but sadly they used up too many resources on some computer/browser configurations (I did not experience this problem in testing).

I apologize for any inconvenience.

-t
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
Thank you for removing the video ads. I would hope that after all these internet years some company would find a way to advertise in a way that pleases everyone, but it seems like the biggest revenue generating ads are still the most intrusive ones.

I want to support ANN's advertisement model, but those video ads were too much. I still love the banner and background ads though.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1