• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
^ To be fair, every time I bring up my very similar opinion, I get the same answer. My friend (who is a fan) nods and goes like "Yeah, that's annoying, but if you keep going it gets really good."

Here's my question to fans of the show to get me to keep watching. How good does it get? Like, by comparison of early episodes to later ones...

Are we talking Bleach's initial arc vs Soul Society Arc, Hunter Exam arc vs Phantom Troupe arc, or is this the immense scale of Fate/Stay Night vs Fate/Zero? If it retains the same tone but the fights are more intense, that's not really gonna do it for me.

On the topic of Unpopular Opinions... Romeo X Juliet would have been better if the lead characters survived. I'm not joking when I say that it feels set up so that they would survive. I'll be vague since a lot of people haven't seen it, but lets just say that THEY WON. Romeo saved Juliet, and THEN the villain confronts them, and Romeo and said villain strike each other in a double-kill sort of finish. Had that scene played just slightly differently, or better yet, not happened, the show would have had a happy ending. It felt thematically jarring.

Here's the thing. I feel that they should have either let Romeo and Juliet live, or the whole show should have been a faithful adaptation. Similar opinion to Gankutsuou, though not to the same extent. The Count should have succeeded completely in his revenge just like in the novel. Would have made for a great ending if he killed Albert to get back at his dad, then fell into despair at the weight of what he'd done.

Finally... I just... don't get the hype around Studio Ghibli. They're okay, but whenever I'm watching a film of their's, I tend to check my watch more often than the screen. Not a good sign.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Finally... I just... don't get the hype around Studio Ghibli. They're okay, but whenever I'm watching a film of their's, I tend to check my watch more often than the screen. Not a good sign.

I must confess that that when I was watching the movie based upon "The Woodcutter's Tale" ("The Tale of the Princess Kaguya") that I was checking my watch as well. I still rated it as a Masterpiece (11/11), though. Different strokes for different folks.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Please don't get me wrong. I admit that Ghibli movies are fantastic. But for me, it's like watching a really good ballet with lots of deep symbolism and artistic merit that goes over my head. I can look at it and tell it's great. Still, I'm asking myself why I don't love it.

Most people who first see these movies go out of their way to see more, but it occurred to me that I wouldn't care if they went out of business. Mamoru Hosoda and Satoshi Kon are phenomena that I understand, but Ghibli... for every movie I love, there's five I don't really enjoy.
Night fox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
I've seen more than half of Legend of the Galactic Heroes (57 out of 110 episodes) and I'm not really impressed with any aspect of the show so far. Armadas of spaceships clash and a gazillion people die - nobody cares or thinks twice about it. The battles consist of the two sides lining up and firing laserbeams at each other. Supposedly some ingenious battle strategies and tactics are used, but all you really see are some dots moving on a screen. Then, for some mysterious reason, soldiers are attacking each other with huge battle axes - medieval style.

Some unmemorable high-ranking officers die in unimaginative ways, while others subsequently get promoted to fill their shoes. There are hundreds of different characters to keep track of and most of the VAs sound like they're reading the newspaper. The characters aren't very sympathetic or interresting either and the only one I really root for is spoiler[Julian] at this point. There are some neat political plot twists, sure, but considering the number of episodes I've seen it's a drop in the ocean. Also 95% of everything that happens is war-related, which leaves very little room for cultural and social aspects, or even some romance and comedy, that could otherwise enrich the show.

So, to sum it up: What's the big deal about this show? Is it because people like the "genius with issues" trope (Reinhard, Lelouch, Light Yagami) or is it something else?
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
G-Reco was a great Gundam series, it made sense just fine, the dialogue was fine, it was entertaining, and it was an improvement from Turn A (granted, that is common).
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
'One-Punch Man' is Average at Best: It made like "Attack on Titan" and had its hype kill it on arrival. People treat it like it's so original when everything it did, "Deadpool," "The Tick," "Kick-Ass," "Kinnikuman," and (a non-superhero example) "Bo-bobo Bo-bobobo" did first and better. The art for the webcomic makes "Sonichu" look like it was made by Studio Ghibli. There are webcomics with far superior art that get left in the dust, and yet this series gets a re-drawn manga adaptation and anime. It's like the "Fred" of webcomics. Another point of anger I get from this series is when its fans compare "My Hero Academia" to it unfavorably. What the f**k happened to this community? OPM was not the first superhero anime/manga. "Kinnikuman," "Skullman," "Tiger & Bunny," and "Zetman" would like to have a word with you guys and extend their middle fingers to ONE.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
My more unpopular opinions tend to border on blasphemy. Laughing

Episodic Anime Tend to Feel Pointless One of the fundamental things I look for in anime is a story that is moving forward. That is mainly because I've grown up on episodic-styled cartoons and sitcoms. So shows that start off with the 'event of the week, rinse, repeat' premise end up getting dropped pretty fast...even if I keep hearing great things about them. (Ex. Mushishi, Death Parade, Cowboy Bebop, etc.)

Cowboy Bebop Just Isn't My Cup of Tea- This show was built by taking all of my entertainment pet peeves and putting them in a show. I'm not a big fan of westerns. I'm not a big fan of sci-fi. I don't like episodic-styled anime. Imagine how I would feel when watching an episodic adventure about a bounty hunter in space. Less than enthused, unfortunately. (There are other things about the show itself I didn't enjoy, but it probably just wraps back around to my bias against certain genres.)

Hayao Miyazaki Isn't My Homeboy- I'm putting this one pretty low down, because I've only ever watched two of his movies. Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. But you get a sense for some artists better than others. I find that his works rely on fantastical wonder and spectacle. The problem I have is that it just doesn't seem to work on me. His movies feel like they're less about telling a story and more about creating high quality art/animation and sweeping audience up in the experience. Since I'm always looking for the former and rarely interested in the latter...He doesn't tickle my fancy.

Most Love Triangle Shows End With Wrong Choice- Maybe this really only says something about my personal preferences, but I find that in most romance shows with love triangles or harems or what have you...The Main Character will almost always end up with the show's shoehorned romantic interest over a love interest that they share stronger romantic compatibility/chemistry with. Simply because it must be so.

Stories evolve as they are being written, but anime/manga writers have a tendency to remain rooted in initial premise and ignore the very relationships that have been built up over the course of the series--as though interactions never happened or didn't change the relationship dynamics between the characters.

I promise this isn't just me harping against predetermined romantic love interests. There are a lot of shows where the show's shoehorned romantic interest is indeed the best partner for the main character. (Examples: spoiler[Suzuka, Love Hina, Golden Time, etc.]) There's just a lot more shows out there where he/she isn't. (Examples: spoiler[Toradora, Clannad, etc.]) (I'm aware I probably just touched all the nerves. Wink)

But I will say that where we have common footing on all this is that we'd all appreciate it if a show would at least actually pick someone by the end of it. Looking at you, harem shows. I may fuss and gripe about whichever character you choose, but at least I won't have wasted my time watching a romance show that ends without romance. Cool
-

So yeah. that's all I got. I probably deserve every pitchfork lodged at my front door. But at least I feel a little better about tossing out all my grumbles. Laughing
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
That single frame they use for a gasp is lazy and has no impact. The cut to black to play an effect to give the effect of action is also lazy and has no impact. Your animation budget might be stretched thin but have some decency to actually show something.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:06 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess now is as good a time as ever to share something I wrote for a class. For context, my teacher wanted us to write an opinion piece for an assignment. So I went meta. I think it's relevant to this topic, don't you think?

Opinions

The wonderful thing about opinions is that there are many different kinds. One person may love cats more than dogs. Another may prefer dogs over cats when told to pick one. Still, one can either like both or neither. None of them are any more right or wrong than the next.

What bothers me is when people don't get this. Some think that their opinion is the only one that matters. These people tend to herald their opinion as correct, and that those who disagree are somehow stupid or wrong. There are those who believe that their opinion is better simply because it's different than what most people think. I can't stand those sorts because more often than not, they tend to be pretentious snobs and self-righteous bullies.

Here's the thing. I don't mind if someone has an opinion that I don't share. Most of the time, I can see where they're coming from. It's when that someone starts conflating their opinion with fact that makes me raise my eyebrows. It's alright not to agree, just so long as you're not rude about the issue.

And that's all I have to say. Personally, I think this thread, more often than not, tends to be used as an excuse to whine about how the plebes just don't ~understand~ your super special worldview. I must reiterate that I don't mind opposing opinions, (I've written a few unpopular opinion pieces myself on my thread) just so long as they're worded thoughtfully and politely. Thank you.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
Kraft Lawrence as portrayed in the anime Spice and Wolf and its sequel is a nice guy, an interesting gambler but a terrible merchant. He is way too willing to engage in extremely risky, questionable deals brought to him by complete strangers where he is required to take most of the risks for a theoretical reward. He also loves to put all his eggs and occasionally his life along with others in the same basket. Not bad for a high stakes gambler but poison for a merchant.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
OPM was not the first superhero anime/manga. "Kinnikuman," "Skullman," "Tiger & Bunny," and "Zetman" would like to have a word with you guys and extend their middle fingers to ONE.

That's true, but whether you like the series or not, OPM is the new standard-setter for super-hero series. That's why anything involving super-heroes which comes out in the next few years is going to be compared to it. So get used to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure anyone is claiming OPM was the first anime/manga super-hero. Anyone claiming that is someone with no sense of history, since Japan has super-heroes going as far back as freaking Astro Boy. What One Punch-Man is is exceptional satire, of not only of eastern & western superheroes, but Shonen tropes in general. You're right to compare it to such works as The Tick or Empowered. Which also do the same thin. But One Punch-Man is one of the higher profile ones to come directly out of Japan, and its sensibilities. which makes it interesting in its own way amount those others.

Comparing it to My Hero Acedemia or Tiger & Bunny is largely unfair if only because those are played concideribly 'straighter' in terms of pure super-hero stories. They are essentially a different genre. They just happen to wear the same spandex on the outside.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Comparing other shows to it would be one thing, but I think it's the frequent comments about My Hero Academia being a "ripoff" of OPM just because it's also about superheroes is what's getting under Animeking1108's skin. Unfortunately, getting used to it is advice that still applies, since the anime fandom has always been like this as far as I can recall. If there are two or more shows with spaceships, giant robots, magical girls, or whatever, every anime of that type except the one they watched first – regardless of which one was actually made first, or how many very similar ones were made before any of them – gets written off as an inferior ripoff.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
Kraft Lawrence as portrayed in the anime Spice and Wolf and its sequel is a nice guy, an interesting gambler but a terrible merchant. He is way too willing to engage in extremely risky, questionable deals brought to him by complete strangers where he is required to take most of the risks for a theoretical reward. He also loves to put all his eggs and occasionally his life along with others in the same basket. Not bad for a high stakes gambler but poison for a merchant.

Worked for the banking sector in the 2009 recession when we baled them out why would it not work for Lawrence? Difference being he was at least a nice guy.

I agree more with Akane in regards to this general discussion, as time as passed on the internet and those who inhabit it seem to be more and more self-centred without any of the amusing self-referential humour that used to come along with it. As for me, I simply hate everything, it is much simplier that way. Smile
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I think it's entirely ridiculous to call MHA a rip-off of OPM, as they are distinctly differently-styled shows.

That being said, comparisons of how good each one is are fair, as they are both in the same genre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 50 of 84