• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Research: UK Anime Fan Culture

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wabisabi19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone! Smile

I’m a student of a university located in the south of England. I am currently working on a dissertation researching contemporary anime fan culture in the UK, and I was wondering if you would like to answer the following questions below:

Questions:
1. How did you first discover anime?

2. What in particular do you like about anime?

3. What do you find unique about anime as supposed to other mediums?

4. To what extent does the Japanese national origin play in your enjoyment of anime?

5. How do you engage in your interest in anime?

Details
6. Age:

7. Gender:

8. Current Home County:

All responses will be collected and applied anonymously. You may respond via this thread or feel free to email me at [email protected] for a more private response.

Thank you
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
(I think you have the same dissertation supervisor as I did! Going by your location, anyway. Laughing )

1. I was born in 1991, so right around the height of the anime boom on TV... I saw Sailor Moon, Pokémon, Digimon, Cardcaptors, etc., on TV (we were among the first people in our village to get Cartoon Network), and I liked those shows enough to look them up when we got Internet access. I found a whole bunch of Sailor Moon episodes on AOL Video... and the rest is history. That same year, Film4 broadcast Spirited Away on TV and I was blown away.

2. I like the storytelling in anime, and I liked the stylised art and how a lot of care and attention goes into the animation.

3. I find the industry quite admirable in Japan, where a creator (a manga artist, a writer, etc) can get published and then have a TV show to their name if the production committee/their publisher like the idea enough. It's a heck of a lot quicker than in the West, where only the extremely lucky people seem to get that kind of recognition from either Hollywood or their local TV productions.

4. I don't really care about the national origin of the show, even though it has inspired me to learn the language, and I studied pretty extensively as a teenager. I've seen anime that are very, very Japanese, and also seen shows that take place way outside of Japan or in another world entirely. So long as I can enjoy the plot and characters, it doesn't matter to me.

5. I've dropped off a lot in my anime habits since I was a teenager, I'm more picky and I curate what I buy/what I check out online. ANN's reviews are very helpful in this regard, so are the blogs I follow.

6. I'm 24 years old.

7. Female.

8. I live in Somerset!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1