• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls Beyond the Wasteland (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
episode three

It seems like Yuuka's only motivation is to be where Buntarou is. It'd be a nice character arc to see her find a less vicarious reason for participating.

I'm really enjoying the more down-to-earth take on developing a game., overall. Plus, there's this great clash between Sayuki's forced attempts at recreating the events of dating games in real life, the characters all just being regular people, and Sayuki's cold ambition.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Not a fan of Yuuki but I think her determination to prove herself is somewhat admirable. I think she overworked herself quite a bit there for the club and herself so needs to be more careful with that...

Glad to see her doing better though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
I kind of felt that the lack of strong characters was almost a self stab at the show's own characters. Only now the lead character getting a bit interesting with his writer mode, and some characterisation of their artist.

Writing is my hobby, so I like to think I got something out of this. I can sympathise with things like starting with a more contained idea, and trying to make stronger characters. Although I write way too slow, over the past two years I only have about 15 chapters down, I have the whole story in my head, but it always evolves as written down. Mostly go a couple hours at a time (1000 words or so) before I become burnet out from checking the reference material I make to keep consistency. I have even made landscape in Minecraft to have areas planned out.

My first project did fail because I spent too much time and rigidly created fantastical setting without set out goals. But I think I just don't commit enough, because who heard of someone who studied accounting becoming an author, plus my grammar suck as would be obvious. Sorry, that got a bit too personal. But I am kind of watching something like this that it could motivate me.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I kind of felt that the lack of strong characters was almost a self stab at the show's own characters.

For better or for worse, I don't think the show's that self-aware. Though, I feel like part of the problem with the characters is really a delivery problem with the show. The animation, direction and music have all really struggled to effectively convey emotion and its hurting characterization. It's not that the characters are amazing, but I don't think they're as bad as it feels like they are.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Eh, the first half of this episode bored me quite a bit. Didn't really take much of the dialogues with interest. However, the second half caught my attention with the fishing trip. I mean, they got Andou back to the team again. Nice. It really would feel different without her around.

Oh and Yuuka's adorable as ever still with her ice cream.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
It is not a good way to handle a group project by making so many changes, if anything she probably should have noted if she found any problems and then bring those up at a group meeting. Not that I am too big on groups, but from coming off a couple of group assignments I can kind of think of it, I guess changing some font to have a common theme, not adding work to others and changing core things.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Heh, beach episode. I think the show or title was self aware so it called it "THE FAN SERVICE EPISODE"

Sayuri is awful at volleyball lol. I think she did have fun though despite claiming to be there to take copyright photos.
The girls looked cute in their swimsuits. They definitely deserved this break though with fun in the sun imo. I wonder what's on Yuuka's mind though...? Her behavior was a bit odd at the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Heh, beach episode. I think the show or title was self aware so it called it "THE FAN SERVICE EPISODE"

Yeah a title like that is saying that it is self aware, but it feels like it is only highlighting a problem I am finding. I think Saekano was much better than this show. This show clearly wants to make a statement, but Saekano managed to do that on a much more subtle basis. The first episode of that after all was heavy on the fanservice, but only in that it was being super aware that such tricks are used to draw in audiences.

This episode did try and say that it was touching on the topics common like the boob size gag (really cliché), while opening up a flag for drama. But I don't think it is all that successful. I mentioned it a few weeks back, but I will bring it in consideration, that I can't tell how aware this show is. Are the characters just occasionally making comments that could be aware, or is it trying to do the whole game making a process self referential like Saekano did? Because if it is, they are either being too subtle about it that it is difficult to see the self references, or it just is not doing too good a job at it.

I am assuming it is a subtitle error, but what in the world was meant by a character saying that none of them would hang out if they were not brought on this project. Half of them were already friends with each other and hung out. It just kind of felt like the show trying to pretend that it is so aware in how different the personalities are, and not come across as genuine. I did like parts such as splashing too much when asked to do so, or that she was avoiding the sun, they felt more genuine, and I could relate to the second one.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Yuki looks cute on that date. Just wish Bunta would realize where her feelings lie but I doubt it for now. That cliffhanger has me interested in the next episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
That teacher. Ando's dellusions are real. Also Yuki does seem to have a bit of a dirty mind.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Lol, he really did get locked down into that room. Wow. I was kind of expecting them to play it out as a joke originally but weird. I guess desperate times calls for desperate measures.

The maid outfit gimmick made me face palm a bit since they got a trap in the mix there as well. About time Bunta finished though.

That ending trolled me a bit. He's got even more work to do now Rolling Eyes
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

They are actually pushing towards getting their project done now, not bad. I mean, up to this point, that was the core of the plot. I still think it's a bit late in the story though. Sakuya's intro was cute.

Yuka got her confidence back as well thanks to Kuroda but that was after being motivated. I hope she can start using that talent of hers because she does have potential. Oh and Kuroda got a message from her brother? I wonder what it is..
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I have seem Seiyu's Life, I am pretty sure the jacket she changed into would be bad for voice acting because when she moves it would make the metal zipper bounce and make noise. That anime goes into great details that a choice of clothing that would not make any sound is quite important. I don't expect in depth for this show, but that seems like a detail that should be noticed.

I expected more drama about her not being as good as a professional VA.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

That new woman Typhoon has a nasty personality tbh. I hope Sayuki's team prevail in their competition and shut her up for good. I got some respect for Bunta this episode after what he did (throwing water at her).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why they are acting as if it is actually serious, they in no way have to follow through with a bet made by an adult which was made under threat. Actually kind of shitty that someone representing a professional company would do such things as say they would make them quit school, they probably need some lessons in public image.

Not surprising with the brother, at the very least it was clear that she wanted them to make a game to help her brother's failing company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3