• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Power Rangers Film's 'Translucent Extraterrestrial Armor' Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:45 am Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Out of all of these posts not one person has pointed out the greatest offense of this image:

NO POSING!

Without that, this isn't Power Rangers / Super Sentai no matter what you do.

Which is actually the heart of the issue. Really, think about it. In that armor they can't do fancy poses. And it lacks the flashy, showy appeal of Sentai. In "spandex" silly? Yes. And the Sentai franchise never fully took itself seriously. Never. This reboot is trying to take itself too seriously.
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:29 am Reply with quote
OK about the costumes yes the original would be too silly to use in a film nowadays

but i still think these are over the top

what you need is a balance between the 2 one that looks modern and powerful but still similar enough to the originals to know what they are meant to be and to be honest they already have done that

like i said before the new ones look like Iron Man suits and i know it's a reboot but they just don't feel right,plus they are supposed to represent the Dinosaurs the command but i don't see it on ANY of them
LokiReed

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
So the power rangers wear alien suits now? I guess I can't be mad, because of how bad the original show was, but at least the outfits looked better. I guess I was wrong to assume this would be a serious take on power rangers.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
As a Super Sentai fan it's funny how Power Rangers purist complain about the look of the suit and let's say the whole thing when you think that the only true material origin is Zyuranger whish is far Greater than the americanized adaptation.

Burai is more awesome than Tommy Oliver. Wink
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:
I respect that this is the first Power Rangers created entirely by the west though and this is how they're doing it so it doesn't have to adhere to the aesthetics layed out by Super Sentai.

Technically they already did this with the first movie which used their own plastic-looking costumes. They've also made their own original costumes for the series before. And I'm just going to be blunt and say they always pale in comparison to the original suits and always stick out and look jarring. The current Dino Charge adaption of Kyoryuger made an original boss character for the Deboth Army, and he looks so out of place and bland compared to the Deboth suits.

The comments of the suits need updating for current generation is flawed for two reasons. One, the franchise is still ongoing and uses similar suit design, so unlike other reboot franchises, this is a franchise that's actually still going. Two, it's all subjective, and chances are people calling "spandex costumes" silly probably aren't fans of the franchise in the first place.

TranceLimit174 wrote:
Out of all of these posts not one person has pointed out the greatest offense of this image:

NO POSING!

Without that, this isn't Power Rangers / Super Sentai no matter what you do.

Power Rangers already tones down the rolecalls in their adaptions, so I'm expecting them to be absent from the movie. Or perhaps one character will do something like it and get called out for being 'dumb and silly' since a popular trend in these kinds of reboot movies to mock and make fun of the franchise it's updating to seem hip and cool.

-Stuart Smith
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
LokiReed wrote:
So the power rangers wear alien suits now? I guess I can't be mad, because of how bad the original show was, but at least the outfits looked better. I guess I was wrong to assume this would be a serious take on power rangers.

I don't know how retaining cheesy and corny elements of the original series =
serious take on the original series.

Serious take to me means they're moving towards a more mature less silly looking version of Power Rangers one that can appeal to the older (more reasonable) fanbase along with bringing in new fans.
bla4bla

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
they should cast nic cage in the new PR movie. he will fit perfectly with the new PR team. look at him!!
Milos Trifunovic

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
These looks like bunch of iron-man in different colors Razz
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Milos Trifunovic wrote:
These looks like bunch of iron-man in different colors Razz

I know who to cast as Zordon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6