• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Joy of Sakuga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And that's exactly why I don't understand good portion of anime fans who entirely dismissive of western animation and constantly blame it for not being creative. I mean, look, you have your preferences and that's fine, but don't be blind because of them. Hollywood spends a lot of money on projects which wouldn't have a chance to be made if not for them, if this is not keeping creativity afloat then I don't know what is.

I admit that many anime fans in general are young, loud, obnoxious, and ignorant. For that part, I'm bit ashamed. The underlying issue is that those fans are overtly excited by "personalized" nature of anime that appeals to their sensibilities and they're not hardcore about animation quality in general. While anime fans are buzzed over whatever new exciting shows from Japan, Western animation fans stir the hornet's nest by using Disney vs Anime animation quality comparison card and thus it gives off this condescending elitist attitude about how every animation should look.

Once hornet's nest got stirred, Anime fans don't sit idly and they make counter argument with what they already know. Since most anime fans are not "animation expert" like western animation fans, they wind up accusing western animation for being not creative.

About whole lack of creativity issue, it's more about creative freedom that allows anime producers to make any show whether it's based from comics or novels or straight original concept without much interference. When Hollywood wants to make animated films or TV, they have to go through things like focus groups and market analysis. Instead director calling the shot, it's the producers who subtly dictates how animated film/TV should be. Even in 3D CG film preproduction, there is a story which certain storyboard got rejected just because a sponsor (a retail chain to be specific) worried that his daughter won't like even though the idea was great. On the other hand, Japanese investors leave creators to handle story matters. Hollywood system is More money = Tighter control over what's allowed.

Does it mean that Hollywood system is completely wrong? No, it's just opposite side of the coin. They do make great animated movies with more money than some Third world country's GDP, but there is price to be paid when so much money is involved and I do think 2D animation industry paid high price for it. As far as Hollywood creativity concerned, I don't know why they want to adapt foreign IP, like anime, for live action when there are interesting concepts from young directors and writers floating around.

Quote:
market is overcrowded, despite that, paradoxically, there's little to no competition between studios. Maybe, if market were a little bit more competitive average quality would grow.

Actually Japanese production companies do compete for contracts. It's just that there is no unified front between production studios to create competition for untested ideas. Director and animators jump from studio to studio and so average quality remain the same. It's about creative talents who make the show, not studios.

Quote:
I more incline to believe that 2D is alive due to efforts of creators of such stunning features as The Triplet of Bellville or Song of the Sea. At least, alive as an art form.

I should've added European feature animations too. Heck I've watched Triplets of Belleville when it came out in theater and enjoyed 2D art animations from Russia. Those type of animations come out every few years and people have short attention span and It's usually the art house movie fans enjoy those. Anyway, European animation system is not exactly like Hollywood either. They're similar as far as techniques and art, but they're funded like how European films would be funded; Multiple investors with or without government sponsorship.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
While anime fans are buzzed over whatever new exciting shows from Japan, Western animation fans stir the hornet's nest by using Disney vs Anime animation quality comparison card and thus it gives off this condescending elitist attitude about how every animation should look.

I saw antagonism from both sides. Admittedly, fans of western animation can be vile, but at least they rarely appear on anime forums. Anime fans, well, let's say I worked at college of design few years ago and I saw with my own eyes how one student called her professor idiot because he told her that she must broaden her style if she ever wants to be a good artist. What expect from anime fans in the internet if some can't behave in real life.

Quote:
As far as Hollywood creativity concerned, I don't know why they want to adapt foreign IP, like anime

I guess producers want to test how well market is going to react to this type of stories. I mean, both GitS and Death Note fall into categories which popular right now (gritty action and YA oriented thriller). GitS probably would need a few adjustments, hopefully writer is familiar with SAC because this version is far more appealing for a regular moviegoers than Oshii's film.
Quote:
Actually Japanese production companies do compete for contracts. It's just that there is no unified front between production studios to create competition for untested ideas.

Yes, but what I mean is competition for market share (box office is probably wrong term since studios make money from disc sales). Actually, this is something I found strange about japanese business practices, Shueisha and Kodansha usually release tankobons of their heavy hitters on different weeks too, I wonder if there is some kind of pact for such thing.
Quote:
I should've added European feature animations too. Heck I've watched Triplets of Belleville when it came out in theater and enjoyed 2D art animations from Russia. Those type of animations come out every few years and people have short attention span and It's usually the art house movie fans enjoy those.

Let's just not talk about European and Russian tv animation, that's probably the worst things I saw in my life. That being said, Hedgehog in the Fog is my all time favorite, you probably need to be from Russia or former USSR to fully appreciate it, so it's often overlooked by animation fans.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Anime fans, well, let's say I worked at college of design few years ago and I saw with my own eyes how one student called her professor idiot because he told her that she must broaden her style if she ever wants to be a good artist. What expect from anime fans in the internet if some can't behave in real life.

You''re not the only one who've seen something like that. I've seen a student, who is an Anime fan, making the similar argument in local college art class. Like I said earlier, Anime fans are young, obnoxious, and ignorant. It's the issue of maturity.

The point is, many anime fans are self-absorbed and immature in some ways, but at least they have energy and passion to keep their hobby alive and fresh. Are energy and passion too excessive? No, they just need to grow up a bit and direct their passion for something better.

As for western animation fandom is concerned, I think they shouldn't be so uptight by treating classic animation as some kind of high art and they should give passionate support to new original animations, let it be TV or film. Instead of being dismissive, at least be curious about why anime fans are so passionate about their hobby.

What I find interesting is that some western animation fans are absorbing that passion and applying it to their hobby. There are growing number of young fans who both like anime and recent TV animation (example: Adventure Time), so gap is narrowing. Not only that, I've seen several Disney Princess and Pixar cosplayers at anime conventions. it's a sign that western animation fandom is adopting some of the passions that anime fans are known for.

Quote:
Actually, this is something I found strange about japanese business practices, Shueisha and Kodansha usually release tankobons of their heavy hitters on different weeks too, I wonder if there is some kind of pact for such thing.

This is just a guess, but I think Japanese publishers are avoiding direct competition among themselves as they are competing with other entertainment media such as video games.
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Disney destroyed 2d animation the same way Pixar did with 3d. Expensive and full of Cliche poses. American animators are as fundamentalists as a Taliban, pretty crazy dogmatic people.

Full animation is overrated, always was, on top of that they are still using the same stupid poses the 9 old men discovered 80 years ago. Okiura, Iso, Ohira, Inoue, Otsuka, Honda, Hashimoto and Mihara are as technical and skillful as your best disney super star. It's much more difficult to do good animation in a pretty tight schedule than what your lovely disney gods are use to and that's where you really prove you have talent.

Disney Lipsync is a waste of time and resources when the language isn't english, another overrated proposition for their clueless fans and sometimes anime also has them for key scenes. Pigglet 's big movie(japan) and the last one are very similar animation quality wise, the japanese can match Disney? OHHHHHHHHH Myyyyyyyyyy Goooooooooooood.

Also, Who the hell told you Disney animation is perfect?

It's floaty most of the time, has perspective errors, simplistic and boring sfx and lack sense of impact when you have an action scene. The best things about Disney wasn't the animation, it was the music and how he used it to sell the scenes.

2d animation in america is dead for a reason, too expensive to make and Flash is cheaper, the rest of their shows is animated in Asia since the 60s anyway. South park is how american tv animation really looks like. See, Japanese animation survived while the superior 2D disney style died and that's a hard fact.

Americans and the rest of the world competed doing animation for Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, the japanese were always on top.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8