• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chex mix

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
IDK, if I had to choose where Toei put their OP budget, I'd just funnel it all into animation. I mean, who at this point doesn't just fast forward to the 5-6 minute point automatically anyways? Between the opening, the stupid narration bits, the ludicrously long recaps and god knows what else, it never starts until at least that point.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:54 am Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
IDK, if I had to choose where Toei put their OP budget, I'd just funnel it all into animation. I mean, who at this point doesn't just fast forward to the 5-6 minute point automatically anyways? Between the opening, the stupid narration bits, the ludicrously long recaps and god knows what else, it never starts until at least that point.

Those several minutes of recap and opening are a cost-saving measure too because they're reused animation. I'll bet most of the budget for One Piece IS funneled into the animation, but this is the best they can do with the resources they have and the rules from up top.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
Stopped watching a couple weeks ago. Even if the next story's good, the pacing won't change, so as with Dressrosa, people will just end up pulling their hair out for it to end long before it actually does. I guess I'll be back for the "Episode of Whatever The Next Arc Is Called" TV special.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Stopped watching a couple weeks ago. Even if the next story's good, the pacing won't change, so as with Dressrosa, people will just end up pulling their hair out for it to end long before it actually does. I guess I'll be back for the "Episode of Whatever The Next Arc Is Called" TV special.

The next arc is actually the shortest one since the return to Sabaody, yet in spite of its length it is really dense. It's already ended in the manga, though as I follow it solely through the Japanese graphic novels I haven't read the end of it myself yet.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the length of the arc is only about 20 chapters. It goes by so fast, I think its pacing and density will help the anime a lot.

It's almost as if Eiichiro Oda is apologizing for Dressrosa's length by making the following arc extra-short and extra-dense.

Though I'm also sure the ending for Dressrosa drags on like this because Oda wanted to put something special into Chapter 800, as he always puts in something big into chapters with multiples of 100. These are what I can surmise:
Chapter 100 - The Straw Hat Pirates enter the Grand Line.
Chapter 200 - Luffy learns Logia users have specific weaknesses.
Chapter 300 - The Skypeia war ends after four centuries.
Chapter 400 - Luffy successfully breaks into Enies Lobby; the World Government starts taking him seriously.
Chapter 500 - The first present-day appearance of Silvers Rayleigh; an explanation on discrimination against fishmen.
Chapter 600 - The Straw Hats reassemble after the timeskip.
Chapter 700 - The Straw Hats enter Dressrosa.

This anime episode, if I recall correctly, is adapted from Chapter 798. Expect something significant very soon.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I kinda feel bad for Rebecca fans. She's easily Oda's most poorly progressing characters in the series. What started as a cool gladiator girl people were clamping to have Join the crew rapidly spiraled downward into an annoying crybaby that no one wanted to deal with any more.

Rebecca is the definition of Dropping the ball with a promising character and that's why it hurts the most, she had so much potential and it was squandered. And the worse part is that she could have been saved if she fought Diamanté instead of Kyros, that's really all it would take to save her, make her have to get dirty and fight instead of crying like a baby and needing Kyros and Robin to put their bodies in harms way for her.
Chaoseadra

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/review/one-piece/episode-742/.102445

"but anyone who's read the manga knows that it's nothing that serious. "

I guess this wasn't on purpose but that was one annoying "mini spoiler" FOR THOSE WHO DON'T READ THE MANGA.

Gosh :/
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
I kinda feel bad for Rebecca fans. She's easily Oda's most poorly progressing characters in the series. What started as a cool gladiator girl people were clamping to have Join the crew rapidly spiraled downward into an annoying crybaby that no one wanted to deal with any more.

Rebecca is the definition of Dropping the ball with a promising character and that's why it hurts the most, she had so much potential and it was squandered. And the worse part is that she could have been saved if she fought Diamanté instead of Kyros, that's really all it would take to save her, make her have to get dirty and fight instead of crying like a baby and needing Kyros and Robin to put their bodies in harms way for her.

I can't help but wonder if the direction Oda took with Rebecca was in light of the Japanese audience, and only them.

Shirahoshi was similarly a whiny crybaby, certainly not well-liked among American and European readers and viewers, but she was a VERY popular character among Japanese fans. Especially with the popularity poll: She wasn't in the top 10, but she still ranked 28th, the highest-ranked character who debuted in the Fishman Island arc. Rebecca ranked right below her at 29th, reinforcing the message to Oda that female characters who get very emotional and desire protection (overtly with Shirahoshi, secretly with Rebecca) must be well-liked.

I certainly hope upcoming featured female characters do not go in this direction, but I'd understand if they do.

Something else to consider is that Oda himself has just recently become a father. His fatherly instincts are going to kick in, particularly a desire to protect children, or at least a desire to write father characters as protective guardians of sorts. spoiler[Then again, I'm sure Sanji's father is going to be a complete scumbag.]

Then again, immediately below Shirahoshi and Rebecca on the poll is Koala, a female character who's strong and stays strong (and seems to be equals with Sabo, at least socially speaking).
Videogamep

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I certainly hope upcoming featured female characters do not go in this direction, but I'd understand if they do.

I'm pretty hopeful based on how the manga's been. spoiler[Wanda, Carrot and Reiju] all seem pretty far from the Shirahoshi/Rebecca mold. spoiler[They haven't been in it much], but they all have promise depending on who Oda focuses on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Davy0

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
Rebecca becomes the eleventh member of the crew.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

I can't help but wonder if the direction Oda took with Rebecca was in light of the Japanese audience, and only them.

Shirahoshi was similarly a whiny crybaby, certainly not well-liked among American and European readers and viewers, but she was a VERY popular character among Japanese fans. Especially with the popularity poll: She wasn't in the top 10, but she still ranked 28th, the highest-ranked character who debuted in the Fishman Island arc. Rebecca ranked right below her at 29th, reinforcing the message to Oda that female characters who get very emotional and desire protection (overtly with Shirahoshi, secretly with Rebecca) must be well-liked.

Something else to consider is that Oda himself has just recently become a father. His fatherly instincts are going to kick in, particularly a desire to protect children, or at least a desire to write father characters as protective guardians of sorts. spoiler[Then again, I'm sure Sanji's father is going to be a complete scumbag.]

Then again, immediately below Shirahoshi and Rebecca on the poll is Koala, a female character who's strong and stays strong (and seems to be equals with Sabo, at least socially speaking).

The problem is we have Vivi who finished tied for 23 with Mihawk in the last Popularity Pool. She's a female princess who fights and struggles all the way until the end when she completely runs out of options. The difference between her character and Rebecca's is stunning since Rebecca is a trained fighter who only cries where VIVi is untrained and only cries as a complete last resort when the world spits back at her at every turn.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
That's true, though Vivi has always been popular. And above her are Hancock, Nami, and Robin, all of whom are also very capable fighters who live according to their own terms (even if Robin was ready to give up her life at one point and Luffy had to persuade her otherwise).

But my point was not that a female character who is submissive and gets sad easily is not the most popular type of female character, but that this type is popular enough in Japan that it could convince Oda to write more of them. (Incidentally, both of them are quite busty and show a lot of skin. I'll bet Shirahoshi and Rebecca both appeal to some kind of fetish a lot of Japanese One Piece readers and viewers have.)
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
That's true, though Vivi has always been popular. And above her are Hancock, Nami, and Robin, all of whom are also very capable fighters who live according to their own terms (even if Robin was ready to give up her life at one point and Luffy had to persuade her otherwise).

But my point was not that a female character who is submissive and gets sad easily is not the most popular type of female character, but that this type is popular enough in Japan that it could convince Oda to write more of them. (Incidentally, both of them are quite busty and show a lot of skin. I'll bet Shirahoshi and Rebecca both appeal to some kind of fetish a lot of Japanese One Piece readers and viewers have.)

Funny enough Perona of all people actualyl outranked Vivi in the most recent Popularity Pool

I have my own take on Rebecca's outfit, she only wears it in the coliseum and once she's free and the battle is over she begins to cover up a bit more with the dress. I have what I'd guess you'd call a headcannon of her being forced to wear the revealing chain-mail by the Family. I mean Rebecca is certainly well developed for her age and what better way to keep her shamed an embarrassed than by forcing her to expose her body to strangers day in and day out while fighting. So it's almost as if that chain-mail is just another of Doffy's mind games.
Araki

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
743 was a great episode that the fanbase loved and even found it better than the respective manga chapter. The reviewer is being biased just because he wants to leave the arc, which isn't really fair.
A Man named RJ

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

The entire point of Rebecca was that she didn't actually know how to fight, she knew how to dodge and moves very quickly (quick enough to dodge get out of the way of Hakuba's attack), and thats all she knew. She was introduced as more than a "cool gladiator girl" She was a "cool Gladiator girl who only knew how to counter and dodge"
She's also really just a child putting on a brave front. Her character is completely understandable - She won in tournaments not by using brute force, but rather by using speed and countering and letting the opponents knock themselves out of the ring.

With this in mind it would make ZERO sense for her to know how to fight well enough that she could beat somebody like Diamante - she tried it before and got pub-stomped. If anything her sucessfully fighting Diamante would raise soooooooo many questions. Speaking of which, I also noticed that Robin and Kryos protecting her were like a mother and father protecting their child. Lets not forget that Robin is a fairly aged woman- definitely old enough to be a mother (and acts like one to the crew), it's a very subtle nuance.

Rebecca and Kryos' story were, probably one of the highlights of the arc for me. It told a very delicate story of an ex-murderer father coming to terms with his crimes and a daughter who puts on a brave face but cant do anything except for dodge. Kryos didn't want Rebecca to hurt people like he did, so he taught her how to preserve herself without bringing harm to others. In a way righting his own wrongs with his daughter. in that case it was better she didn't bloody her hands.

All people who complain about Rebecca seem to see is a person who is useless because she doesnt fight and cries. but they don't look at the little things around her character (or why her character is that way). For what she is to the story, she's a decent character. She's fast and has observation haki --- actually she's a female Usopp in a couple of respects.

Similarly Shirahoshi was a super sheltered princess, practically imprisoned for the later half of her life always afraid of an assassain... did anybody expect her to do more than cry? Vivi is an example of a cool princess but that's because she became a tomboyish leader of a crew way back when she was a child. she did more than take command, she took MILITANT command she was the female half of Kouza. and the split between them makes full sense. Hancock is hilarious, she's spoiled, and even very cruel but also raised in a kingdom where strength is everything.

One Piece's female princess lineup varies from person to person each with their own unique personality befitting of their circumstances.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 49