• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Twin Star Exorcists

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
Do the police have an understanding with the exorcist community? Because it doesn't seem like any of the Seika Dorm's residents are of legal driving age - aside from the seniors, who don't accompany our heroes on missions.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Isn't the sempai with the braid over 16?

Rokugo's magic fist reminds me of Kazuma's Shell Bullet (S-CRY-ed). Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
I shouldn't have read the manga just before the anime came out, cause it went straight into the action head first while the anime throws in a ton of fluff and filler content. Probably going to wait until the anime finishes and then just binge watch all the episodes at once so I can skip to all the key scenes.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Isn't the sempai with the braid over 16?

Possibly, but if Initial D is to be trusted (and I'm not sure that it is), he'd need to be at least 18 to have a regular license - which he very well might be. I thought one of the slightly younger kids was driving the van in his absence last week, hence my needlessly nit-picky query.

I suppose it's faint praise, but I was happy this week's episode didn't feature as much pointless fanservice as its premise would suggest. They got the (regrettably) obligatory "I peeked up your skit!" and "Oops! I feel on you!" jokes out of the way early and abstained from drawing them out. I was also genuinely surprised that Rokuro and Benio's state-of-the-art love nest wasn't destroyed by the end of the episode.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
At last, more manga material! Now we just need TSE to keep it up and introduce spoiler[Mayura getting impurified and Kamui], and we'll finally get into the material that made the manga so engaging.

On a more anime note, Junichi Suwabe disdaining ideals again made me chuckle.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I'm disappointed to see them turn Mayura into the obstacle that keeps you from your dreams trope, but not surprised. She started off so well as just his supportive friend.

Am I mixing series up, or haven't we already seen the green-haired kid alive and well?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 8

I'm disappointed to see them turn Mayura into the obstacle that keeps you from your dreams trope, but not surprised. She started off so well as just his supportive friend.

Am I mixing series up, or haven't we already seen the green-haired kid alive and well?

The only greenhead I recall is Mayura.

spoiler[As for blueheads, well, a close look at a certain mysterious hooded figure might yield some ideas...]
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
While I still think the Kegare are lacking as villains, I found the one from this week's episode to be legitimately creepy - though to be fair, I'm easily frightened by children-turned-demons.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8 review wrote:
The whole confrontation could have easily been a cat-fight between Rokuro's two love interests,

Thankfully it didn't, but the way Benio conducts herself is that she really doesn't seem like she is harboring feelings for Rokuro. She doesn't make a big deal of her disinterest, which is usually the first giveaway. She flatly and openly states what she sees to be good about him instead. When the subject comes up she simply says she is not into the marriage/baby thing.

Benio seems like a substantial character. Not the type to get into a catfight.

And I wouldn't want to be looked at by her the way she was looking at Rokuro there at the end.
Cetais

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm happier the less Kinako talk.

This episode (9) was really good. Too bad it took so much time for that, and I really hope they won't ruin what's next.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
This was easily the best episode thus far, even if I still had plenty of nitpicks (ahh, the harsh life of That Manga Reader).

Hopefully the blonde filler lady from the preview is entertaining.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
ep 9 was good because it finally went back to following the manga. right now ep 9 is only at around chapter 10 in the manga, meaning on average they've been barely covering 1 chapter of material per episode so far, that's one piece pacing right there. They even left out some key scenes which I have a feeling will be slotted somewhere later on the in anime to fill in more time.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
This show's gotten a lot better in the past couple of episodes. Will they be able keep up this momentum, or will we get more boring slice of life stuff? Time will tell.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think it's a smart decision, even if the amount of information we get this week might have been better spread out across multiple episodes instead of just one. ...there's a lot to unpack in not a whole lot of time.

But that's what really made it work for me. The headlong dash into the abyss with new horrors popping up around every corner didn't give me any time to think about the cliches and tropes of the story's scaffolding, and instead just made me hang on for dear life and enjoy the ride. And the ride was enough fun that now I don't really feel like looking behind all the curtains to see how it was built.

That said, I agree they should've taken a few seconds from Rokuro repeatedly banging his head against the wall of Yuto's fist, and trim a few more from the quiet scene at the end, and used them to give Benio's reaction to all this just a little more attention. Even if her reaction was simply to be frozen immobile to the ground in shock, just framing some shots to show her in that state at the periphery would have helped, without slowing anything else down to do it.

Btw, has Rokuro's magic fist ever laughed before, or did I just not notice until now?

Also, kudos to the Van Gough joke in the previews. Smile
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Btw, has Rokuro's magic fist ever laughed before, or did I just not notice until now?

Actually this is the first time it has happened in the anime so I was a bit shocked because it has never laughed in the manga. I think it was a good idea to add that anime original scene since it foreshadows some stuff related to Rokuro's power.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 16