• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Is it weird that I got more emotional reading the review than I did watching the episode? JoJo's and babies are never my favorite thing, and they use them almost as much as dogs.

Why is Joseph wearing that ugly leopard print hunter's cap? What happened to his fedora?
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Why, don't you know? Old people always wear weird hats. It's like the law, or something. *snark*

All in all, this was pretty okay. The scene with the store clerk was about 47 times longer than it needed to be, but by the time old man Joseph adorably bossed it out in the end I was too busy awwwwwwwing to even care. And seriously, how often does JoJos make you go awwww? Well worth the ride.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Is it weird that I got more emotional reading the review than I did watching the episode? JoJo's and babies are never my favorite thing, and they use them almost as much as dogs.?

Over the course of Phantom Blood, Battle Tendency, Stardust Crusaders, Diamond Is Unbreakable

We've only had one baby death in comparison to like 7 dog deaths over those four arcs.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
Who said anything about dead babies? Shocked JoJo's has just had a lot of babies in it, from Mannish Boy in Crusaders, and spoiler[Polnareff] becoming a baby, and now this one, and it seems like they've encountered other random babies, but I could be wrong. Plus it also seems like lately some of the Stands are more baby-shaped than I remember.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
In the version I read, it was. So far, almost all of the references in the anime were also in the manga, it's just really weird how many of them coincided with the people or things being mentioned came back into the spotlight:

• Joseph calls Okuyasu "Osomatsu" a year or so after Mr. Osomatsu introduces a new generation to the series.
  • Prince is referenced on an episode a month after his death.
  • The Red Hot Chili Peppers arc aired a little after RHCP released their new album.
  • spoiler[The main villain, who had a brief cameo in the most recent episode, is possibly modeled after the late David Bowie.]
Also in the first episode someone said that Josuke(referring to his hair) looked like Sazae-san.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Who said anything about dead babies? Shocked JoJo's has just had a lot of babies in it, from Mannish Boy in Crusaders, and spoiler[Polnareff] becoming a baby, and now this one, and it seems like they've encountered other random babies, but I could be wrong. Plus it also seems like lately some of the Stands are more baby-shaped than I remember.

Uh...I don't really remember any? I mean, the only ones I can count are Lisa Lisa, whose face is never shown, but is carried by Erina after escaping the explosion. The second one is Mannish Boy, and the third one is not Polnareff, since Polnareff was turned into a child, not a baby, it was the woman who was taking care of him that became a fethus. And this baby is the fourth one.

There is some sort of baby in Part 5 and 6, but not exactly so.
YoodiHoshi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Uh...I don't really remember any? I mean, the only ones I can count are Lisa Lisa, whose face is never shown, but is carried by Erina after escaping the explosion. The second one is Mannish Boy, and the third one is not Polnareff, since Polnareff was turned into a child, not a baby, it was the woman who was taking care of him that became a fethus. And this baby is the fourth one.

There is some sort of baby in Part 5 and 6, but not exactly so.
There was the Part 1 baby that got fed to his zombie mother by Dio.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Polnareff was turned into a child, not a baby, it was the woman who was taking care of him that became a fetus.

If they can show his naughty bits uncensored and there's a poop joke, he counts as a baby to me. Smile
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
So I'm not caught up on the anime yet but I have finished reading the manga. To be honest, in the episode where we see the Nijimura brothers' dad, I came really, really close to crying when their dad picked up the fixed family photo. I didn't feel anything reading that chapter in the manga.

Also, that was the closest I've ever been to crying while watching an anime. So, anything can happen with Jojo. One might say it's quite bizarre. Wink
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I finally got caught back up with the anime
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting a long time to say this:

IT'S THE GREAT KISHIBEEEEEE ROHAAAAAAAANNNN!!!!!!!

You should all love him, and if you don't you simply can't understand the subtleties of his work.

But in all seriousness, Rohan is possibly one of the most weirdly charming characters in Part 4, and one of my favorite Jojo characters, so it's great to finally see him animated. I think I prefered Hiroshi Kamiya's voice for Rohan (the one used in the games), as he was way more exaggerated for his delivery (you could almost FEEL the narcisism), but the current VA is not bad either, and does a good job at portraying the character.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Rohan is actually spoiler[The final addition to the main cast.]

Not really a big spoiler at all but I put it in spoiler tags anyway.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
So this is how he got the ideas to create JoJo.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
Heaven's Door in action is easily one of the most disturbing fictional images I've seen all year - and this is coming from someone who watches a ton of horror movies.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Heaven's Door in action is easily one of the most disturbing fictional images I've seen all year - and this is coming from someone who watches a ton of horror movies.

The "body horror" in Araki's stuff actually gets "worse" (creepier) as he gets more comfortable with drawing the human body. It's pretty wild to read, although it's also really interesting to someone like myself who was almost an art student.

In my own opinion, Part 4 does the best job of balancing likeable characters with this total weirdness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 28