• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz Media Reveals Sailor Moon S Part 1 November Release, Bonus Extras

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emperor Fred

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
i only watch Anime dub, so is Viz Media Sailor Moon where i heard they kept changing around the Voice Actors or is that another version

You'll be safe sticking with the Viz release, they're doing a consistent dub across the entire series (including Crystal, even).

The original DiC/Cloverway dub from the 90s had the inconsistent voice actors you're referring to, due to budget, availability, production company changes, kids' TV guidelines and overall bad timing, and of course the final season Sailor Stars was not dubbed or released at all. Still, it is beloved by many (myself included).
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, I can't view the trailer as I'm not in the US.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
For the voices, Uranus is just spot on! Neptune and Tomoe are ones that'll take some used to. Tomoe has a different take from the old voice but still the same kind of crazy. Neptune sounds a bit more generic to me overall, but sometimes sounded unique. So will have to hear more of her.

I'm right there with you: Michiru's voice sounds flat ( but I put that down to direction more than the actress *) but I LOOOOOVE Haruka's voice and performance; Tomoe's not my favourite but he's got the laugh down pat, so we'll see.

* Michelle Ruff's performance as Luna has always dragged for me because it lacks Luna's signature sarcastic edge; The original voice actress gave Luna a cartoon kitty voice but the sarcasm bled clean through ( I think that the contrast was intended. A+); Jill Frappier's distinguished-but-with-it-woman-in-her-forties voice fell flat when you saw Luna's human design but for the cat it was PERFECT- Jill caught every nuance and the director let her do it: I feel that the direction for the Viz version is trying so damn hard to remind us that Luna is an attractive woman in her thirties that they miss the loveable but on the nose cynic that the character is.

I was watching the extras, was listening to Cristina Vee's voice, and thought "Oh, my God! THAT's Luna!", 5 seconds before she said that she originally auditioned for Luna but was shifted around to Rei: You wasted your Luna voice, Viz!

I don't want to dump on Michelle Ruff 's performance because she seems like a perfectly fine actress; I just think that what they asked of her does not fly: This, it seems like, is exactly what we're going to get with Michiru, which is a damn shame.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm still hoping Viz will announce a re-release of the first volume of the first season with fixed video.

I'm not going to replace my old ADV DVDs of the first season until that happens. Those DVDs had severe quality issues too, make no mistake, but I'm not replacing "broken" with "slightly less broken but still broken".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Osiris20

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
Stephanie Sheh has really come along and has really redefined the character of Sailor Moon for me. I wasn't too keen on her voice at first, but it's really on point now.

On Luna: While I love Michelle Ruff as a VA, I have to agree that Jill was a better cat Luna. Michelle just can't seem to capture that same charm as Luna.

I love Christina Vee as Rei/Mars and I think she sounds like Rei's Crystal Jananese VA, just a tiny bit when they're tranforming and using their attacks and such.

Now on to the new stuff:

I really liked Haruka's voice, but Michiru was a little bit off. Maybe I'll get used to it like I did with Minako/Venus. I wasn't sure about Prof. Tomoe at first until I saw/heard the laugh and the it fit perfectly.

I just can't magine waiting another 4 months though for dubbed Sailor Moon S. I hope they put it up on Hulu before then.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
NormanicGrav wrote:
But hey it's Subatomic Digital (Viz's chosen authoring group for these sets) so it's going to not look that great regardless.

Yeah, the same people who also handled Moribito & Gargantia, which also had problems despite being Native HD shows. It's why I also worry for Crystal because although it won't be as bad as these 90s sets, it could still have issues that wouldn't be there if someone competent like Justin Sevakis had handled it instead but it's dub wasn't done at Bang Zoom so it wasn't meant to be.

Speaking of Justin, looking forward to Hunter x Hunter & One Punch Man's releases. Very Happy

As for Subatomic, they did do a better job with Death Note's upscale (and I expect similar results for Bleach) and I would like to think that they went back to fixing these Sailor Moon seasons (because there were major problems that I remember seeing on those episodes on Hulu) but the new trailer isn't helping at all.
voltwaffle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:08 am Reply with quote
Haruka's voice is pretty much where it should be. Michiru's sounds too much like Haruka; I hope it doesn't cause confusion. The only thing that matters with Tomoe is his maniacal laugh, which is spot on.

The video quality is better but it's still not where it could be (see: Madman release). I guess I should just be glad that they didn't turn the DNR to 11 and blast it from space like they did before. Still, this is only a trailer and I'll wait for the reviews after it comes out to see how it really holds up.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
For the voices, Uranus is just spot on! Neptune and Tomoe are ones that'll take some used to. Tomoe has a different take from the old voice but still the same kind of crazy. Neptune sounds a bit more generic to me overall, but sometimes sounded unique. So will have to hear more of her.

Off-duty Michiru sounded a bit genius-spoiled, but maybe it was the clip, or trying to hint at the "They're not 'cousins' now" relationship. But yes, Haruka was spot-on.

Tomoe was tricky, since I could recognize Akira Kamiya in the original, and his world-domination cackle was the same recognizably crazy laugh as when UY's Shutaro Mendou occasionally gave into his urges, and didn't think any dub actor could go that far off the rails. Smile
But Tomoe's mostly a comic character for the first half before the Hotaru/Saturn arc, so it's not hard to play.
Usagi04

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Even though it's taking a while, I'm glad to see Sailor Moon finally getting the release that it deserves. It's been a long journey for us long time fans, that's for sure.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
Tomoe's voice is really good. It'll take some getting used to, but he nails that laugh. And you know Keith will be great in Tomoe's creepier moments too. Haruka also sounds great, but I'm not sure what to think of Michiru yet. She sounds sort of generic in the trailer. I did like what I heard from her in the episode 106 dub clip though. (I'd link but Youtube took it down) I get the feeling Lauren's going to be like Cristina Vee, and take a few episodes before she finds her groove.

merr wrote:
What happened to the promise of 3 to 4 sets per year? They announced the dub cast exactly 1 year ago, and now we have to wait another four months. At this rate we won't get Stars until 2020.

I thought the promise was 2-3 sets a year? I agree the wait is frustrating, but worst case scenario it looks like we'll be to Stars by 2018, not 2020.

Osiris20 wrote:
I just can't magine waiting another 4 months though for dubbed Sailor Moon S. I hope they put it up on Hulu before then.

Every redubbed episode of Sailor Moon episode so far has been uploaded on Hulu at least 2-3 months before the home video release. Likewise, I expect we'll be seeing S Part 1's batch of episodes by August or September.
aeris14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry but, They'll always be "Sailor Scouts" to me.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering when they were going to get around to this. I mean we finished with R. And as far as anime we ordered for the fall, we just got the last of "R'. And now we're up to 'Crystal' getting a release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2