• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
stilldemented wrote:
I'm still holding off judgment on Betelgeuse.
I am rather enjoying that character...
Same here. I think some people here haven't realized that he is this loop's version of comedic relief. Of course he is also the major antagonist so he works on two levels. My brain trembles~~~
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I wish Betelgeuse wasn't in this show. You don't have to make the villain this over the top, we get it that he's a villain. He's not unhinged, he's just cringe-worthy. Subaru is taking his sweet time learning his lessons too, and that's starting to get on my nerves. Sure, he doesn't have the hindsight and perspective we do, but he's through how many iterations of this now? I'm not sure why he thought just saying that he can come back from the dead would've helped any, it's not like people would just up and believe such a claim. Also found it really weird how Ram dying led him to throw himself off a cliff since he didn't want such an ending, but then he just keeps going after Rem dies, when he had a much closer relationship with her.

Actually it was Rem dying which eventually led to that. Ram was trying to use her wind powers to kill him because he intimated that he might have some idea what was going on. And he threw himself off a cliff not just because of that, but because the situation was compounding in an especially bad direction and he realized that he knew exactly how to prevent if if he went back.

As for Betelgeuse as a villain, I'm in the camp that he is serving his purpose very well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:38 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I'm not sure why he thought just saying that he can come back from the dead would've helped any, it's not like people would just up and believe such a claim.

We don't really know this, because we know nothing about what the other characters know about time magic, because Subaru never asked them.

And like I've said before, I think that the fact that he never asks or investigates things like this is actually his biggest flaw.

And I'm not quite sure whether to call it a flaw, since having the wisdom to beeline for those kind of things is a lot rarer than I'd hope in my experience.

See, when you're in uncharted territory, in order to get anywhere, you have to do things, do them in a manner that the results will mean something, and be ready to act on them to do the next thing.

Actually, there is some (weak) evidence that the other characters would be able to do something about or have knowledge of the principles behind Subaru's time looping: the fact that the Witch is taking active steps to prevent them from knowing about it. If their knowledge of it couldn't lead to significantly different outcomes, she would have no motivation to interfere with it, especially since she seems inclined to leave things to develop on their own in every other instance.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
And like I've said before, I think that the fact that he never asks or investigates things like this is actually his biggest flaw.

Actually for quite a number of loops I thought he was making quite good use of his time-loop ability. He carried forward his learning to read and write, use his magic, quizzed Beatrice a number of times and found the trick to defeat the forest malbeasts. He eventually won is date with Emilia. And he found ways to have fun with Emilia and Ram along the way in between cusps.

That Subaru seems to have all but disappeared. He still learns things that he carries forward but each new thing seems to build on his desperation rather than his confidence and solution. Like many others I think they have made their point and it is time to move on.
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:37 am Reply with quote
At least this current loop seems to have set him up perfectly for future loops. He now knows that he has information about Crusch that the girl with the private cat ear army wants to learn, he knows more about what will and won't anger the entitled girl (I'm bad with names), he's learnt about negotiation techniques, he knows exactly when and where to find the merchant caravan with batches of oil, the witch cultists and the white whale... I'm sure if he puts together all the various bits and pieces he's learnt he can at least achieve something. Be nice to see him tie everything together into one flawless plan!
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
I get the feeling that the sheer amount of people confused and dumbfounded by Betelgeuse is itself very clear proof that the author has thoroughly succeeded in what (I think) he aimed to do. Betelgeuse showing up is not only incredibly sudden, but it's also an orgy of weirdness and cryptic info dumping. But, let us remember... he seems to be some sort of leader of an obscure, evil cult, and a pretty strong character. It confuses Subaru as much as it does the spectators themselves, who do not even know how to react to him.

Consecuently, I believe he's serving his purpose, and personally very much like his character. Many people doubt why the author went so far south with him, but I wonder the complete opposite.
Why do people feel like the witch cult's leader should be some straight, level-headed guy? Now that would be weird and kinda out of place. An insane leader for an insane cult feels just right.
Silver4000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
Actually, every time I see Betelgeuse I just want to hear him talking. His body language and voice are a great combination. I want to see him hosting a talk show. Or some kind of variety show. We all know what the catchphrase would be.

Anyway, the most important part. Since Reinhard is the current Master Swordsman or whatever it is, I do believe that the first one must have been someone from his family. Even if it wasn't, people must remember him because there probably was a second one (or more) at the time. I mean, if suddenly you're asking yourself why there's a second Master Swordsman when no one remembers the first one, the conclusion would be that he was killed by the White Whale.

As for the episode itself I can't see why it was bad. There was good information, and the outcome was different for the first time ever. And in my opinion, I think that showing Subaru's reactions is necessary, because he's reacting to different stuff every time.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Silver4000 wrote:
Actually, every time I see Betelgeuse I just want to hear him talking. His body language and voice are a great combination. I want to see him hosting a talk show. Or some kind of variety show. We all know what the catchphrase would be.

I now so want to see an omake with this idea. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Silver4000 wrote:

In the near future there will be an abridged parody of this like there is for so many shows, my only hope is that they get far enough in the show to capitalize on this. Anime hyper
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Key wrote:
Silver4000 wrote:
I want to see him hosting a talk show.

In the near future there will be an abridged parody

I think what you guys are thinking of is something like Space Ghost Coast to Coast but as much as I like our character here I don't think it would work. The reason is that in spite of his impact he is still a minor character like so many in this anime. Now perhaps if he got to be in lead role in a spin-off series...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, my heart hurts now as well as my head thinking of where this show is going...I guess I'll finish this season out (maybe).
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm going to go ahead and put down Re:Zero as an example of an anime where even 3 episodes weren't enough to give a clear idea of the overall quality of the show. The only reason I came back to give it a second chance was Theron's positive reviews around the middle of the second arc, and I think that's where the show really started being good for me, as well. Since then, it's become a strong contender for my favorite anime this year!

That said, the most recent episode dragged a bit for me. The emotional punches eventually landed, with the emphasis on "eventually", but it seems like Subaru's problems with being verbose got worse, and spread to Rem as well. The "big scene" at the ruins dragged on for me, and by the time they got to the ominous clouds of self loathing, the rays of sunshiny hope, and the literal flight of inspirational doves, it seemed more self-parody than sincerity.

But where the episode definitely succeeded, and I think the series in general has excelled, is that I really want to see the next episode! Curse you Re:Zero! I have to wait a whole week again? Netflix's block season releases have spoiled me so badly...
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
It felt like this entire episode was one long, extremely repetitive conversation. Did we really need extra airtime for this? I don't even mind Subaru's monologuing most of the time, but this was so sappy, with the endless BGM loop and the doves and the ugly background that I couldn't even care about it. 20 words or less next time, geesh.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
honestly when the scene did seem long I think the only reason I felt impatient while watching it was because I had to wait a whole week for it to come out, only to wait another week to see any action.

With that out of the way this episode was definitely one of my most memorable, Subaru finally after many failures realized his way out out of his depth and ironically if this weren't a LN adaption where he's the protagonist his assessment would be spot on.
But he is the hero of this story and quitting here is taboo so Rem gives him not the motivation he wanted but the motivation needed to to acknowledge his previous faults, failures, and fuc* ups to keep on going.

It was like 10 years of therapy in 10 minutes, hmn wonder if we can make a VR device in the future and kidnap-- er intervene in troubled teens(or adults) lives and give them a "spirited to a fantasy world experience" where the go through similar experiences and die/fail till they their 'resolution'.... yeah probably not lol

I must say I've come to change my opinion of Rem, at first I thought the whole sudden infactuation with Subaru was convenient or rushed, and while it was convenient it was well explained and I really like the fact that she put far more thought into running away and starting a new life than Subaru did. I'm not too sure if she though all that up on the spot but I'd guess she actually considered living with him for a while now but included the running away part into her fantasy. Its a real shame that her love is unrequited and I do hope she'll find her special person and keep admiring Subaru as her hero.

All that said ill go back to the beginning of the episode and say Puck is a really cruel/selfish bastard. Your daughter dies so you take it out on the world? Looking pretty villainous there ya little err huge fuzzball. I think we need more details on this pact and we need to get a stronger seal on this cute little critter cause if we take this at face value then that means puck has actually been freezing over every failed world that Subaru has looped from. There goes my theory that the parallel worlds that Subaru dies from get to live on, they actually have to stop a pissed of puck from murdering em all.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh good lord, really? This is what they were hyping? Because now it's going to act like a standard anime with the hero saying "Let's go gang! We can do it if we work together!"?

*sigh*

Parts of the dialogue were good, like Subaru's initial confession ripping his skin off to show all the ugliness he saw in himself. Rem's fantasy was heartbreaking. But what it led to seemed way too pat for what he was should have been experiencing (according to previous episodes and even the start of this one), and the conclusion was way too easy (Hate myself I'm worthless. Love you lots, you're my hero. Oh ok then I'm all better, let's save everyone!).

I've got to say that the hype truly did a lot to ruin this for me because not only didn't it meet my high expectations after I read fans talking it up, it made my disappointment worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 73