• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Possible Malware: fake update pop-ups

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
Over the past week or two when visiting ANN on my phone (Chrome in Android 6.0) and my computer (Chrome on Windows 7) I've received what are, almost certainly, malicious redirects to a page claiming my browser needs to be updated.

I normally wouldn't mention this but it has been happening consistently only on ANN and even after clearing my cookies and running a malware scan on my PC. It is merely an inconsistant annoyance to me but if the issue is on ANNs servers it may catch a less tech savvy user.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
This should be fixed now, but if it happens again, even once, please let us know.

We were experimenting with a new multi-network ad-provider, and they just weren't able to keep their ads as clean as they had hoped.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
If by keeping their ads "clean" you mean ads that don't contain scripts, then you should have banned such things long ago. There is no reason an advertisement requires scripting; text, images and video should be more than enough to get your message across.

Back in the early part of the decade the New York Times accidentally distributed malware that launched the "Antivirus 2010" scam when people left the site or closed their browsers. I realized something had to be phony when my computer claimed it was finding infected .dll files. Since my computers all run Linux, I could only laugh. If they had filtered out ads with scripts, the newspaper would never have been embarrassed before thousands of its readers.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
There is no reason an advertisement requires scripting; text, images and video should be more than enough to get your message across.

I agree.

Quote:
you should have banned such things long ago.
I wish.

Unfortunately ad serving is done by scripts. Ad-serving is a complicated mess of exchanges and networks these days, and if a publisher uses any networks or exchanges, the publisher has zero direct control over what kind of ads show up on their site. The networks are loaded with a script, and they use scripts to load various exchanges (and vice-versa). Some of these networks unfortunately allow the end advertisers to use scripts (and sometime it's an exchange/network itself that is compromised). If we find that a network or exchange is allowing problematic ads through, we remove them from the site.

Every time we try a new advertising partner, we take the chance that there will be problems with their ads.

The only other option we have is to not run network ads at all... but in order to do that, I'd have to lay off a couple writers...

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1