• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Perfect Insider

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Regarding Paprika; this is the only Satoshi Kon film i've actually seen, as i saw it in a special local theatrical screening. I thought the plot was a bit messy, but I loved the visuals and themes. If that's supposedly his weakest film, sounds like i better check out the others. I've been interested in Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers for some time, but they aren't as easy to find.

I found Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress to be my favorites out of all of his films. Paprika is still fun. Tokyo Godfathers is kind of a comedy drama. It reminds me of the birth of Jesus in the Christian doctrine. Just beware that PB is extremely graphic.

I have the Paprika novel that the film was based off of and its........ehh? spoiler[There's an extremely long rape scene where Onsai rapes Chiba and eventually she quits resisting and its just....a mess.]
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This release is perfectly fine for the most part, with my only gripe being with the use of all capital letters for character's family names (SAIKAWA Sohei, MAGATA Shiki, etc.) in the subtitles. It's consistent throughout the set and even in the promotional text on the back of the case, so I assume there's a good reason for it, but the end result does look a little odd.
Haha, that's actually the format we're required to use for Japanese names in Russian official correspondence at my work (the Japanese embassy). Dunno if this format is used by Japanese embassies in other countries, but using it in Russian makes a lot of practical sense, because Russian is more flexible with name orders than English or Japanese. While this doesn't pose a problem with most European names, as the "given name - surname" order is taken as the default for them and a lot of the names are familiar to Russians anyway, with Japanese names it's a bit more ambiguous, so people may have a hard time figuring out which part is the surname if it isn't indicated clearly. I'm assuming a similar sort of thinking is at work with this localization as well, since there isn't a single standard among English anime and manga translators on whether or not to reverse the name order. Although admittedly the capitalization does look weird in subs; if it were up to me I'd only write the names like that whenever a character's full name is mentioned for the first time and assume that it would be clear from then on.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:

@Michael, I am super jealous of all of your MST3K box sets. Did you back the Kickstarter for the new season?

Thanks! To be honest, I probably have more of those than i should have, considering i was living off of plasma donations when i got most of them...

The MST3K kickstarter is the only kickstarter i've ever supported. I can't wait for the new episodes; the new guy seemed really good during the live reunion show.

We've all done...things to support our fandoms. Anime hyper And as far as Kickstarter goes, that was a good one to back.

I like the new guy too. I think I'm going to have the hardest time with Servo's new voice, but I am intrigued to see more parts of the SOL and current pop-culture references. Good new is, we don't have much longer to wait!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2