• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Makoto Shinkai Denies Plans to Work for Ghibli

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucio542

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
S.A.V.A.G.E
Nyron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Hosoda and Shinkai are both level 1 monsters composted to Miyazaki anyway. Shinkai is just Japanese Nicolas Sparks and hosoda... just isn't very good. Boy and the Beast had a $20 budget and the last 30 minutes were excruciatingly stupid and out of left field.
goatnuke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
Hosoda and Shinkai are both level 1 monsters composted to Miyazaki anyway. Shinkai is just Japanese Nicolas Sparks and hosoda... just isn't very good. Boy and the Beast had a $20 budget and the last 30 minutes were excruciatingly stupid and out of left field.

Have you seen Wolf Children? If not, watch it and then tell me Hosoda isn't good.
Loveless100

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Kudos for Shinkai for keeping it real. Considering the success of Kimi no Na wa I think a lot of people would look at it and gloat but I think it's good that he sees the difference between the companies and keeps a level head.

I do have a lot of respect for Shinkai's style so I do look forward to his new films. I'm glad it's making more waves in Japan than in the past.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Personally like Shinkai's works more than Miyazaki but you can't blame the comparison. Everyone expects the legend to continue in some form or another. I do think it's insulting to think Ghibli expects the same thing. Let them be their own studio.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I always had the impression that both Makoo Shinkai and Mamoru Hosoda are opposed to Ghibli in some way anyhow and wouldn't work for them even if asked. Besides, their styles, while they make family films (sometimes), are so different than the Ghibli style that they'd only be asked if Ghibli wanted to make something markedly different than their normal fare, like Pixar bringing in Brad Bird to do The Incredibles.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting this comparison is coming up with a vengeance again. People were proclaiming Shinkai as the Next Miyazaki since probably Place Promised or 5 CM Per Second, then Hosoda came along and kind of stole the thunder (nothing against Hosoda, loved his films too) now Shinaki has stolen it back. Ah well both men are pretty humble and just want to make movies to be enjoyed.

Quote:
always had the impression that both Makoo Shinkai and Mamoru Hosoda are opposed to Ghibli in some way anyhow and wouldn't work for them even if asked.

Shinaki probably not Hosoda maybe, Hosoda was originally slated for Howl's Moving Castle but many of his concepts were rejected so maybe he might have some animosity, I don't know.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
@LeafySeaDragon, I've never heard Shinkai-sensei say anything that would hint at him being against Ghibli, but he has several times been against people trying to compare him to Miyazaki and he consistently points out that their art styles are totally different. It reminds me of people in media in the early '70's looking at independent animators (like Ralph Bakshi Mad ) and asking "who's the next Disney?". I think we all know the answer was "NOBODY". I wish the media idiots would just stop and I'm sure Shinkai-sensei gets pretty tired of it too. He's just too classy to shoot off his mouth about it.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
Starting to kinda feel bad for this guy, it seems like it would be frustrating to constantly being compared to or even spoken in relation to Miyazaki. He's obviously talented, but it would be nice if he could just be him instead of 'the next Miyazaki'.

On a vaguely related note, is there any particular reason why this movie blew up as much as it did? I know Shinkai has very popular works, but the hype for this one seemed much stronger than his other movies even when it was first announced. Was there something that made this one different, or just high expectations?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:57 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
@LeafySeaDragon, I've never heard Shinkai-sensei say anything that would hint at him being against Ghibli, but he has several times been against people trying to compare him to Miyazaki and he consistently points out that their art styles are totally different. It reminds me of people in media in the early '70's looking at independent animators (like Ralph Bakshi Mad ) and asking "who's the next Disney?". I think we all know the answer was "NOBODY". I wish the media idiots would just stop and I'm sure Shinkai-sensei gets pretty tired of it too. He's just too classy to shoot off his mouth about it.

All right then. I might have mistaken someone else's quote for his.

I can understand the desire to call people "The Next (X)" though. The reasons I can think of are that 1) The name becomes something of a status symbol to mean "the most successful/best acclaimed person in a field" and 2) Fans of a particular person might want more works done in their favorite person's style and is looking for someone who's the closest high-profile substitute.
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
They have different styles.
Hayao Miyazaki has a more adventurous tone to his films.
Shinkai has always "romance" as the main plot no matter what twist it has though. But the animation is woah, really woah. It sucks though I'm not a fan of his other films. Plot over art.

I want to see the film, I don't know if the hype will kill the excitement, because most of the time it does. (building expectation but turning out just average).
I wish the media didn't hype it though so I wouldn't expect that much. Ugh.

[Grave of the Fireflies was Ghibli too, and that was REALLY good! I feel like it's forgotten, that film tore me to pieces.]
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
"a series of stop-motions." ?

I don't get it. Can someone explain to me what he means by that?
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Did anybody actually believe this was going to happen? Just let artists' works define them, it gets tiring hearing people boast over who's going to be "the next Miyazaki" all the time. The title has almost become a trigger for laughter every time I hear it now. There will never be another Miyazaki, and there doesn't need to be. His works are and always will be one of a kind, just as the same applies to Shinkai and Hosoda's films. The only thing they really have in common is the fact that they all make high quality family films and "anime that you can show to your non-anime-fan friends."

Camiru Mylle wrote:
I want to see the film, I don't know if the hype will kill the excitement, because most of the time it does. (building expectation but turning out just average).
I wish the media didn't hype it though so I wouldn't expect that much. Ugh.

It's our job to temper our own expectations. If you go into every popular and acclaimed film expecting the best thing ever then you're always going to leave disappointed. It's okay to be excited for something, but remember to keep that excitement at a reasonable level.
Zimba

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
That's good! But would be nice to see them collaborate in some way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1