• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Japan's Population Declining?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Once again, I remain very skeptic about this being a reality. If U.S. and Chinese money is that important why haven't we seen much anime aimed American and Chinese sensibilities. Dimension W is the only example I can think of.

My guess is that they don't really know how, at least not yet. After decades of making anime strictly for domestic audiences, that's what most of the people in the business will be used to. With the exception of Space Dandy, I cannot think of any anime that was made for international audiences that actually WAS more popular internationally. They all either flopped worldwide (Dimension W, Heroman), or the anime that was more popular overseas was unintentional (Samurai Pizza Cats, Kinnikuman).

It leads me to believe that the people over in Japan don't yet understand the differences in tastes and values between the Japanese and other viewers. (And I know they're not exactly the same--you can see it in how certain characters are loved in one region but hated in another, most evidently with Bleach and Naruto.)

yuna49 wrote:
The decline in the size of the school-aged population sure isn't mirrored in most anime set in high school. There every classroom seems to have 25 or more students. Perhaps that's true in the urban areas where most anime takes place, but certainly not in rural Japan. Here's a story from The Guardian about declining school enrollments which mentions an elementary school in Aone whose enrollment has fallen from 254 at the end of World War II to just six students today.

Yikes! That's pretty drastic! Sure is quite the reverse of what's happening in my city, where the government has had to scramble to find more schools to build to avoid overcrowdedness of existing ones. My high school peaked at 7,000 students and was relieved through this initiative.

Ushio wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_fertility_rate

Around a third of countries have a sub replacement fertility rate some such as the USA and UK make up for this with high immigration rates.

Fertility rates are dropping world wide outside of Sub-Saharan Africa which is also the part of the world struggling to increase standards of living the most.

Interesting. I hadn't checked up on this in several years, and the last time I saw it, there was runaway population growth in a bunch of countries that don't anymore, like Mexico and Palestine. The West Bank, I remember reading, had a birth rate of about 4 per woman, which was much higher than the rest of Israel.

It seems it's dropped to 1-2 in my parents' home country too. I find that pretty unusual, as the country has a mandatory retirement age with no large-scale elderly care program. That means children are traditionally supposed to support their parents at old age, and it was a popular idea to have lots of kids under the idea that they'll receive a lot of support once they grow old.

I wonder what's causing this. Whatever force it was that was leading people to have lots of children, what changed it?

Brand wrote:
I'm sure from American TV most people from outside the US would think it all looks like New York or LA. When really a lot of the US is vast and empty.

Or the Wild West. I've heard accounts from people who say they're from Texas and people assume they'll wear ten-gallon hats with spurred leather boots, or some women would be wearing those antebellum dresses, and that everyone there rides horses, or somesuch.

Someting I see complained pretty often is that the United States falls into three stereotypical locales: The Big Apple (Hollywood falls under this), the Wild West, and the Trailer Park. No doubt that's because these are the three most common settings for the United States in media.

Actar wrote:
Also, the immigration thing is a double-edged sword. Look at Singapore. To fix the declining birth rate problem, the government has been bringing in foreign workers (nay, foreign "talent") to help bolster the economy via their open-door foreign policy. Many people now feel alienated in their own country and are complaining because they are facing greater and greater competition from foreigners. Come to Singapore and you'll notice just how many workers here are non-Singaporean. The sense of ownership and social cohesion is slowly eroding away with an ever diluting culture.

During the mass-migration of Middle Easterners to Europe, I noticed a lot of similar sentiments felt there too, particularly in Germany, whose government welcomed them all in, no questions asked.

In the short term, this new workforce can feel quite alienating, but I am interested in seeing what the long-term effects are, once the immigrated ethnic groups stabilize. If all goes well, they'll integrate themselves into the countries' ways of life and the culture finds a middle ground.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Unfortunately it was also the reason that as the "Salaryman" had to work longer and harder, sometime being away from their wives, only seeing them once a week up to once a year, thereby only to have one child, what then grew up with a single parent with no contact with other children except in school and no one to explain social and cultural expectations to these lone children resulted in a growing population of shy, socially inhibited teens and young adults?

That's strange. Around here, you have most parents working most of the day, oftentimes BOTH parents, with kids having little contact with other kids except in school with no one to explain cultural norms to, except lots of these kids grow to become rowdy, egocentric, drug-abusing, and oftentimes dangerous teens and young adults.

Hoppy800 wrote:
It's been mentioned on this site before, that kind of practice is some of the most backwards dogcrap I've heard in my life. You don't hear that from any other country.

I definitely hear it from mine. Well, my parents' country. People from there who immigrate to the United States fear that their children will become too Americanized. Some of them limit contact with all other ethnic groups. One household down the street, at least when I was little, had a rule that English was not to be spoken in the house.

NGK wrote:
For example:

-Tax cuts and other incentives for companies to relocate their headquarters out of the main urban areas of Japan.

-Providing people who are considering moving to the countryside the necessary living/job information to do so.

-The central government providing funds to localities who have produced concrete and sound plans for their own revivals.

Wouldn't that create Hershey-towns though, small towns centered around one single company where most of the population works for that company, and all other businesses cater to that company's workers? Moving a company elsewhere means you also have to have the workforce living nearby. Otherwise, it's going to create problems of suburban sprawl and long commutes clogging up the transportation infrastructure.

CandisWhite wrote:
Edmonton is a hotspot for immigration; People come here because of the usually (not specifically now but in general) strong economy and the affordable living costs and the openness of the community. Immigrants are encouraged to keep their identity but, also, are expected to assimilate socially and economically; This has happened right alongside the local cultural celebration being kept strong, not as a backlash against "dem foreigners" but as a natural desire to keep loving the things that have built us and what is considered local has evolved and embraced new things over the years.

Mixing not only happens but is expected of society; You are a weirdo if you stay locked up in your house of identity (race, religion, etc.), regardless of how you define yourself. It is normal to see people of all colours in all places and levels of society: University presidents, cab drivers, surgeons, convenience store owners, million-dollar business owners, clerks who ring up groceries.

Even when you leave the city, though the diversity numbers go down, it is still not considered an odd thing to see or know people of a different background.

So THAT explains why Vancouver is the only Canadian city I've been to that has ethnictowns (which I'm sure is due to it geographically being right next to the United States).

What do you people in Canada do with ethnic groups that refuse to integrate? I mentioned earlier in my post that a lot of immigrants from my country of ancestry prefer not to associate with people from any other country. It's hard to wring answers out of them whenever I ask (under the idea that it should be obvious, though for someone like me, it isn't), but the general climate I'm seeing is of fear. It's fear of discrimination, fear of knowing embarrassingly little English (or none at all), and fear of weird stuff they do in this new country. ("Beef is plentiful! They make fun of their politicians on TV! They have care centers for the elderly! What do I even do!?" And as absurd as it may sound, I hear middle-aged and elderly people from my ethnic group get nervous at all of those all the time.)

Afezeria wrote:
The Japanese valued their cultures, foods and all that meant something to them by a long mile and having something that seemed alien to them will just caused panic and issues.

I'd say! Have you seen how uppity some purists get over sushi? They'll even dismiss California rolls as not sushi and refuse to eat them!

Jonny Mendes wrote:
Yes there are racism, and that is just deplorable, but there are other side of the story. Many emigrants, especially Muslin communities just isolate themselves. They don't even try to integrate in European society and culture. The problem is even bigger with the second generation. They feel that they are alien to European society and hate their countries.

The big thing to consider regarding Muslims in Europe is that most of them didn't come to Europe by choice. They were escaping from the death and destruction in their homelands, and they wanted to not die. This is particularly true with Syria, which has faced a three-pronged wave of brutality simultaneously from ISIS, the Syrian government, and the Russian government.

Hence, when they find themselves a home in Europe, they're going to be in for HUGE culture shock. Most don't speak the language (and the ones that do are worth their weight in gold), most have no idea how the country works, and most have no idea how to interact with other people. They feel like babies. It's only natural, then, that they would hole up in their own communities of fellow migrants from their country, because it's only there that they feel comfortable.

From there, it becomes a vicious cycle. The natives who might have welcomed them in might get frustrated they're all hanging out in one corner of the town and never coming out, and anger is contagious. In addition, not giving back to the community means the community doesn't give back to you. This can cause young people in this fringe to feel ostracized and become violent.

Notice that ethnic groups from countries without civil strife, who immigrate over because they want to be successful, are nowhere near as inclined to crime as those who immigrate over because it's dangerous back where they lived and are simply trying to survive. The former have much greater incentive to fit in into the local culture and have arrived ready to do so, whereas the latter were forced to move out whether they're ready or not.

Polycell wrote:
The same thing goes for immigration: you get the numbers up, but is what's there still Japan? When people immigrate, they bring their culture with them; what degree they assimilate depends on the compatibility of the two cultures and the effort put into making it work. Of course, the people usually demanding multiculturalism really mean they want mass importation of third worlders whose cultures they don't actually understand.

With that, it depends how much you value and/or like Japan as it currently is. The United States certainly changed culturally over the centuries as people from different countries came in, but I would say it's been a change for the better.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:43 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I wonder what's causing this. Whatever force it was that was leading people to have lots of children, what changed it?

I recall there being numerous op-ed articles on the interrelations between birthrates, the popularity of the internet as a social avenue and the global decline in wealth amongst younger generations. Not that I am in a position to make assertions on the matter, but the circles I frequent certainly consist of very few people with the wherewithal or intent to produce their own heirs.
Quote:
Something I see complained pretty often is that the United States falls into three stereotypical locales: The Big Apple (Hollywood falls under this), the Wild West, and the Trailer Park. No doubt that's because these are the three most common settings for the United States in media.

Three orthodox backdrops for a single country is quite an achievement! Many a nation is most lucky if more than a single location comes to typify it on-screen. (Especially if such a location can safely be depicted in a contemporary context without betraying audience expectations.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:45 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
The Japanese valued their cultures, foods and all that meant something to them by a long mile and having something that seemed alien to them will just caused panic and issues.
Stuff and nonsense! the Japanese have been asimilating western cultures and technologies since 1854 right up to today, but it's only in the last 10 years that they have discovered that their own culture is also exportable and are now actively doing so by even Government decree. Here in the UK I've seen an increase in Japanese foods and condiments on shelve in our more popular supermarkets, plus more Japanese entertainment acts and concerts appearing in our venues so it's a two way traffic.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
I bet you wouldn't say the same if Japan tried to push their ways and culture to others because, ya know, they so self-destructive and all that.

Considering what Imperial Japan did and tried to do....

Stuart Smith wrote:
When said people are the ones killing and raping them, I don't see the issue. Not every culture welcomes in people who want to hurt them with open arms.

Except no culture is inherently violent or intolerant.

Stuart Smith wrote:
I'm not sure how someone can look back on 2016 and say that. All the racial tension, crime, poverty and violence we have is a result of being so diverse.

.....No it's not you'd still have crime, poverty, & violence even without diversity. If you think a homogeneous society would be free from those ills you're being awfully naive.

Stuart Smith wrote:
People of different groups have a hard time getting along.

Generally because of one group unfairly judging another. Or thinking they're superior to another group.

Stuart Smith wrote:
If your argument is "diversity would be fine if people would stop being so resistant to change and more accepting" then it's a very weak argument because that is never going to happen. It's against human nature.

If most of the U.S. shared this sentiment we'd still have blacks getting lynched for little reason other than being black, being separated from whites in various establishments, or crosses burned on their front lawns. Change happens good (and bad) and to throw your hands in the air over it based off of something so abstract and subjective as human nature is not really putting your best foot forward.

Stuart Smith wrote:
All the stuff America has been through this year would never happen in a country like Japan.

True because Japan is defiantly Xenophobic for some reason and what few minorities they have don't really have much of presence. As opposed to countries like the U.S. and the U.K.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Unfortunately it was also the reason that as the "Salaryman" had to work longer and harder, sometime being away from their wives, only seeing them once a week up to once a year, thereby only to have one child, what then grew up with a single parent with no contact with other children except in school and no one to explain social and cultural expectations to these lone children resulted in a growing population of shy, socially inhibited teens and young adults?

That's strange. Around here, you have most parents working most of the day, oftentimes BOTH parents, with kids having little contact with other kids except in school with no one to explain cultural norms to, except lots of these kids grow to become rowdy, egocentric, drug-abusing, and oftentimes dangerous teens and young adults.

I think the main difference is that in Japan the whole of society always reinforces that you are part of a collective and you have a responsibility to those around you and you (as an individual) are not important, but should contribute to the whole. Whereas in the West, you are promoted as an singularly important human being and you should not subvert yourself or your desires for anyone else (the special little snowflakes). A "happy medium" would be good, but instead we get people who undervalue themselves or people who WAY overvalue themselves. Ideally the involved parents would temper the "societal" view, but obviously for many kids that's not the case.
NGK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
Another victim of the "multicultural" cool-aid...

There are pros and cons to immigration. For some countries it works well, in others not so much. It is not the answer for every country. There are reasonable arguments to be made on both sides of the issue. But acting as if immigration is INHERENTLY a negative thing in all cases is just as narrow-minded as claiming it is always a positive. Open your mind.

Those who are enthusiastically advocating for open immigration for the sake of diversity and expect favorable outcomes and initial problems fixed, and have temerity attack sober, realist, level-headed skeptics with buzzwords like spoiler[ "RACIST!!!"] spoiler["BIGOTS!!!"] and now spoiler["ISLAMOPHOBIA!!!"] , are stuck with the Whig interpretation of history.

So what is Whig interpretation of history, you ask?
See below

Quote:

When they discuss immigration policy, especially when it applies to the influx of hundreds of thousands of Muslims to the West, pundits don’t necessarily exhibit a liberal bias, or for that matter, a left-leaning view of the world. How would John Locke, Adam Smith or Karl Marx respond to the current debate? My guess is as good as yours.

In fact, when they welcome immigrants, legal and illegal, from the Middle East and elsewhere, and blast the immigration restrictionists as bigots and racists, most Western policy intellectuals display what would commonly be described as the Whig interpretation of history.

According to Whig history, our societies have been moving in an almost linear fashion towards more advanced forms of enlightenment and liberty. Values like secularism, religious freedom, individual rights, women’s rights and free markets, representing the progressive future, were bound to overcome the reactionary forces of the past, represented by religious oppression, absolute monarchism, coercive government and backward-looking tradition, with liberal democracy being the culmination of this forward-looking process.

This view of the world derived in part from the ideas of the Reformation, which was seen as a central progressive force challenging the reactionary Catholic Church. So it was perhaps not surprising that while some of the leaders of the much-derided anti-immigration movement in nineteenth-century America known as the “Know-Nothings” were actually opposed to slavery, and supported extending more rights to women, they were also opposed to the immigration of Catholics into the country, believing that the followers of the pope and his illiberal traditions could end up halting the march towards progress.

The notion of a progressive or a liberal calling for restricting immigration would today sound mind-bending, if not a contradiction in terms. After all, notwithstanding the warnings from the Know-Nothings, the history of Catholic and, for that matter, Jewish immigration into the United States followed the Whig interpretation.

In fact, as political scientist Samuel Huntington put it, members of both religious groups as well as those of other non-Protestant branches followed the route of “Anglicizing” their religious practices and traditions and integrating themselves into the more secular and liberal environment of the country. They embraced what Huntington called the “American Creed,” which he regarded as the unique creation of a dissenting Protestant culture, with its commitment to individualism, equality and the rights to freedom of religion and opinion.

So from that perspective, the assimilation of these immigrants into American society could be integrated into a narrative of progress. They may have not been “like us” in terms of their view of the world when they had arrived into this country, which was why the Know-Nothings campaigned against them.

But then history proved that those who were opposed to the immigration of Catholics and Jews were wrong, playing the role of reactionaries in our forward-looking narrative. Today’s leading liberal pundits assign the role of villains to opponents of Muslim immigration, who are depicted as the modern-day Know-Nothings.

This Whig interpretation of history would recall how the children and grandchildren of Catholic immigrants from Ireland, Italy or Poland, and those of eastern European Jews, abandoned their parents’ and grandparents’ archaic religious traditions and sense of religious particularism and ethnic tribalism. They have, indeed, become very much “like us,” and in some cases, more committed to the progressive American creed than members of old Protestant families from New England.

So why should we assume that Muslim immigrants from the Middle East and South Asia wouldn’t play the same role in the sequel to that movie? Presumably the same economic, social and cultural pressures that eventually helped Anglicize the Catholics and the Jews in this country would do magic for today’s Muslim immigrants. And those who don’t share that expectations are part of the reactionary past: angry old white men who cannot come to terms with the changing demographics of the country.

But these upbeat expectations assume that many things that may be wrong, including scientific and economic progress, and other forces of modernization like industrialization and urbanization, are so powerful that they force one to leave the traditions of the past behind to embrace liberal and secular forms of identity.

We are told to remember that the granddaughters of the families who emigrated from highly stratified, patriarchal and religiously oppressive Italy’s south now wear a bikini when they go to the beach. As do the granddaughters of the ultra-Orthodox Jews who immigrated to America from the shtetl in eastern Europe. Why shouldn’t that happen to the granddaughters of the Muslim immigrants from Egypt?

But wait a minute. Why do things seem to be happening in reverse in the case of many young Muslim immigrants in Europe and the United States? Their grandmothers, growing up in the 1950s in, say, Alexandria, actually looked “like us,” wearing the latest European fashion and a spiffy swimsuit on the beach. It’s their granddaughters who are now wearing veils, the hijab and the burkini to make sure that they don’t look “like us.”

That many Muslim immigrants resist playing the role assigned to them in the forward-looking narrative may be explained, in part, by the backward turn taken by many Muslim societies where, as in the case of Turkey, the Whiggish interpretation has been turned on its head. As forces of modernization like industrialization and urbanization have accelerated, these societies have actually started shredding what remained of the secular and liberal values that were embraced by many during much of the twentieth century.

Hence the contrast between the dramatic transformation of Western societies during the age of globalization and postmodernism, where the debate has moved to a point where same-sex marriage is now the law of the land in several countries, and the trend towards more oppressive religious standards, intolerance and tribalism in the Muslim world.

So while the liberal West has been opening its doors to Muslim immigration, shrinking Christian communities in the Middle East are being decimated and its members, facing a radical Islamic assault, are forced to leave countries where their ancestors had resided before the Arab invasion.

Liberals who adhere to the Whig interpretation of history face a dilemma. They cannot accept the idea that many Muslims living in the West, not unlike members of the ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities in Israel and the United States, don’t want to be “like us,” and if anything detest the liberal and secular values that prevail in the United States and Europe.

Yet hanging to their liberal fantasy, policymakers and pundits accuse “Islamophobes” of wrecking progress and resist considering the inevitable: as these Muslim communities grow and expand, expect not only an end to same-sex marriage. Muslim citizens would then challenge other core principles of the Enlightenment, accusing bikini-wearing women of violating the changing standards of the community.

And as multiculturalism becomes a form of secular religion in the West, many liberals also try to deal with their cognitive dissonance by insisting on the preservation, if not the celebration, of regressive Muslim traditions, like the hijab. Liberal intellectuals, who spend much of their time denigrating evangelical Christians and warning of their plans to challenge the rights of women and gays, become apoplectic if someone dares to criticize Muslim traditions. Islamophobia!

Demonstrating the challenges liberals have in trying to keep their progressive narrative intact, Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, a self-styled feminist and a leading global promoter of multiculturalism, appeared recently at a gender-segregated event in a mosque, singing the praise of Islam on the main floor where only men were permitted, while women were watching Trudeau from the balcony.

“Right now we have these political leaders — ironically, politically liberal leaders — who are just putting blinders on their eyes about their values,” Asra Nomani, a liberal Muslim, told Canada’s National Post. “That’s the big differential for liberals, they fancy themselves as honouring the women’s body and yet the segregation by its very definition hyper-sexualizes women’s bodies. That’s the great irony.”

Perhaps not such an irony. As liberals like Trudeau discover that Muslim immigrants are not ready to become “like us,” they conclude that they are left with only one choice: to become more like them.

Leon Hadar, senior analyst at Wikistrat, a geostrategic consulting group, is the author of Sandstorm: Policy Failure in the Middle East.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
^
One source indicates that as many as 300,000 Melburnians trace a Turkish background. They are mostly Muslims, of course. The Australian census records somewhat lower numbers, but the form of the question on the census form may cause under reporting. Turks began emigrating to Australia in large numbers after the Cyprus conflict and especially once an official agreement was reached between Australia and Turkey in 1967. You can say that Melbourne now has many 2nd and 3rd generation Turkish Australians.

I can tell you know that the Turkish community in Melbourne has never been a cause of conflict and that they are ordinary, everyday Australians going about in their lives in the workplace, the community, in the schools and in politics. The Brunswick/Coburg area of Melbourne is something of a Turkish community hub and people from all over Melbourne go there to enjoy the food on offer. (Similarly, Carlton is associated with Italian culture, Little Saigon in Richmond with Vietnamese, China Town in Little Bourke Street in the city with the Chinese - needless to say, and the area around where I live with Greek, to name some. Melburnians are proud of these ethnic hubs and mingle there without fear.)

Acceptance, participation, tolerance along with distrust, fear and bigotry are human qualities, not racial or religious ones. As Melbourne demonstrates, people of all faiths can get along happily and productively.

Last edited by Errinundra on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

That's certainly debatable. But we do have analytics which tell us the percentages and likelihood certain groups will do certain things. In this case, Americans are more likely to commit crimes than the Japanese are. So if someone wants to be more cautious then it's understandable. It's not even limited to Japanese. Asian Americans are less likely to commit crime than even white Americans. Statistically, Asians are the safest race you can be around. These two specific groups, at least.

Quote:
.....No it's not you'd still have crime, poverty, & violence even without diversity. If you think a homogeneous society would be free from those ills you're being awfully naive.

Completely? No of course not. However, homogeneous societies see far lower rates than diverse societies do. Even in America you can find microcosms where the places with high diversity have higher crime rates than more homogeneous areas.

Quote:
If most of the U.S. shared this sentiment we'd still have blacks getting lynched for little reason other than being black, being separated from whites in various establishments, or crosses burned on their front lawns. Change happens good (and bad) and to throw your hands in the air over it based off of something so abstract and subjective as human nature is not really putting your best foot forward.

There's a difference between someone being forced to like someone and being told you can't murder someone. Lynching and segregation may be illegal but the hatred hasn't gone anywhere.

All I'm suggesting is maybe before we try to force Japan to be multicultural we actually make it work for our country first. It would make for a stronger argument. So let's wait until people aren't being shot in clubs or rioting in the streets before we declare it a victory.

-Stuart Smith
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Tomchic420 wrote:
Everyone's comments has grimly reminded me of how moronic the human race has been over the years.

I can hear the song "Mad World" playing...
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

All I'm suggesting is maybe before we try to force Japan to be multicultural we actually make it work for our country first. It would make for a stronger argument. So let's wait until people aren't being shot in clubs or rioting in the streets before we declare it a victory.

-Stuart Smith

Stricter protest laws could cut the rioting down. If you are referring to the Orlando shooting, it's not much you can you do outside of maybe a revision to the Quran similar to how the Bible was revised into the King James version, once that happens or a change in overall interpretation of the Quran, a lot of the violence will stop, .
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Once again, I remain very skeptic about this being a reality. If U.S. and Chinese money is that important why haven't we seen much anime aimed American and Chinese sensibilities. Dimension W is the only example I can think of.

Justin actually knows way more about this subject that he is allowed to discuss.

He also simplifies it for you.

The importance of overseas markets ebbs & flows. The recent Crunchyroll-Funimation deal for example will significantly diminish the importance of the North American market because licensing fees will drop now that those two companies aren't bidding against each other.

Similar things happen in other countries, pushing their importance up, or down in ways that consumers, especially consumers outside those markets, have no awareness of.

In 2015 and 2016 most TV anime revenue came from overseas, not from Japan.

But because of the above mentioned ebb & flow, Japanese companies are careful to maintain their domestic market. It's their rock that they can always rely on when other markets drop suddenly. Unfortunately that rock is slowly eroding for the reasons explained in the article.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
But we do have analytics which tell us the percentages and likelihood certain groups will do certain things.

Which can be skewed if not outright wrong?

And is still no proper justification for people to be suspicious or judgemental of certain groups.

Stuart Smith wrote:
So if someone wants to be more cautious then it's understandable. It's not even limited to Japanese. Asian Americans are less likely to commit crime than even white Americans.

Lower likelihood isn't the same as zero likelihood though.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Even in America you can find microcosms where the places with high diversity have higher crime rates than more homogeneous areas.

Like New York which is well known for it's diversity but doesn't have record high crime?

Stuart Smith wrote:
Lynching and segregation may be illegal but the hatred hasn't gone anywhere.

True but it's considerably less worse where blacks are concerned. Whites simply transferred their contempt and hatred over to Muslims (and Sikhs) with blacks throwing in with them (to an unfortunate and stupid extent).

Stuart Smith wrote:
All I'm suggesting is maybe before we try to force Japan to be multicultural we actually make it work for our country first.

Except it does work for our country it's not flawless and they're are still pockets of intolerance and hatred but it works.

Stuart Smith wrote:
It would make for a stronger argument. So let's wait until people aren't being shot in clubs or rioting in the streets before we declare it a victory.

.....You seem to be under the impression that Muslims in this country are going around shooting people in gay clubs at record numbers instead of treating it as unfortunate but rare thing. Also the riots you see happening aren't simply because you got police officers across the country gunning down or killing unarmed people of color but because we have an incredibly broken system where this is happening at ridiculous rates and the people involved aren't getting punished it's pretty the same thing that triggered the LA Riots back in 93.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
But we do have analytics which tell us the percentages and likelihood certain groups will do certain things.

Which can be skewed if not outright wrong?
Out of curiosity, what constitutes "skewed"? "Not to your liking"?
Quote:
.....You seem to be under the impression that Muslims in this country are going around shooting people in gay clubs at record numbers instead of treating it as unfortunate but rare thing.
Urm... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Muslims are committing terrorism at record high - and increasing - rates. And, to cut you off at the pass, it doesn't matter a damn whether they're anointed as "real" Muslims by the Progressive Society of Muslim Certification: they're still acting in the name of Allah. Refusing the acknowledge that this is jihad rather than random terrorism does nothing to stop it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Which can be skewed if not outright wrong? Out of curiosity, what constitutes "skewed"?

Polls or studies certain people cite to paint an outlook about certain groups in particular those about minority groups or "specific" religious groups.

ZeppelinT3S wrote:
... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Muslims are committing terrorism at record high - and increasing - rates.

In America?.....Because if you believe that I have a mound of horse manure to sell you. Muslims in this country aren't shooting up abortion clinics, or schools or calling in bomb threats. They're also not the ones constantly whining about how we need to take our country back from supposed tyranny. And whatever Terrorist attacks are being committed/planned here or abroad are being committed by extremists of all stripes not exclusively by supposed and self professed Muslims.

ZeppelinT3S wrote:
And, to cut you off at the pass, it doesn't matter a damn whether they're anointed as "real" Muslims by the Progressive Society of Muslim Certification: they're still acting in the name of Allah. Refusing the acknowledge that this is jihad rather than random terrorism does nothing to stop it.

Out of curiosity what does this acknowledgement entail?

- People randomly calling people with brown skin and wear certain head items terrorists?

- Telling them to go back to their country even if they were born in the same country as the people telling them this?

- Labeling the religion as violent and sexist even if the person doing so is a professed Christian who casually ignores their religion being equally guilty of the same problematic beliefs?

What?
NGK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Muslims in this country aren't shooting up... or calling in bomb threats...

Do you even follow up on current events?

Some recent tallies:

Date: 2015.12.02
Incident: A 'very religious' Muslim shoots up a Christmas party with his wife, leaving fourteen dead.
Killed:14
Injured:17

Date: 2016.06.13
Incident: An Islamic extremist massacres forty-nine people at a gay nightclub.
Killed: 49
Injured: 53
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12