• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Nichijou, Scrapped Princess, The Betrayal Knows My Name Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Blood- wrote:
@ willag - I watched Scrapped Princess earlier this year and didn't notice any visual quality issues. I wonder if you got a bum set or something.

Rather doubt it. There have been a number of complaints about those DVDs, from myself included. They're not terrible (at least in my judgment), but when I first watched it on a larger screen and at higher resolution I definitely noticed some flaws, especially in the opener.

So I rewatched the first episode, and my main issue is the interlacing. While there are probably simple software fixes or preference changes that I am ignorant to, on my 54 inch HDTV these flaws were easy to notice and distracting for me. For those that don't notice it or aren't bothered by it, then like I said more power to ya.

Since a couple of people were talking about screenshots, I went ahead and grabbed some from the opening, beginning of the first episode, and the ending.

OPENING
http://i.imgur.com/URJ6DdL.png - Really awful dot crawl - the English wording looks blurry in that title. Also, those reds and oranges just seem so overly bright it makes the whole title look unattractive
http://i.imgur.com/w6rQtVz.png
http://i.imgur.com/Ec8iZ1A.png
http://i.imgur.com/696y0dw.png
http://i.imgur.com/R13Gy0c.png

EPISODE 1
http://i.imgur.com/wi0pV81.png
http://i.imgur.com/A3fndu2.png
http://i.imgur.com/S7Skuwx.png
http://i.imgur.com/H9EWZGo.png

ENDING
http://i.imgur.com/CWSYVax.png
http://i.imgur.com/GQpgj8A.png
http://i.imgur.com/FamswuG.png
http://i.imgur.com/wfNZ4ag.png

Last edited by Crisha on Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, that interlacing is brutal. I'm sure I would have remembered something that heinous if my discs had those.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
What release did you buy for the series, Blood-? I got the six singles that weren't the collector's editions. By the time I bought the series the complete collection was selling for high prices and it was cheaper to buy the individual releases from Amazon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
willag - I have the same six volumes you do which I bought used a while back. They happen to be close at hand so I popped in the first one just out of curiousity. Yeah, some of the quality is rough - the OP title looks like ass, just as your screen cap shows. But like I say, I'm sure I never encountered ghosting like your caps show.

Just went back and checked out more of your screencaps - there's no question, you discs are showing way rougher video quality than mine. No wonder it stuck out for you.

Jesus, just checked out more of your screencaps. Do those images really look that blurry on your TV or is the effect "enhanced" by the screencaps? That would be friggin' unwatchable.

I'd post my own caps just for comparison except my Mac can't play discs so I don't know how to get them off my TV.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Still pictures always tend to look worse than a running stream of images, which is why I can usually ignore ghosting unless it is particularly obnoxious (which rarely happens to me). When I watched this several years ago on my (relatively large) tv, the size just made the defects seem so obvious. I never researched into why the images looked so bad, I just remember thinking how bad the video was. It wasn't until I rewatched it tonight and freeze-framed the video that I determined what I likely noticed back then.

Huh, I find it interesting that our video quality differs. Guess I just lucked out? Anime hyper

EDIT: Also, interlaced video plays best on plasma panels and old CRTs, which can play interlaced video directly. However, my computer and HDTV have LCD displays and use progressive scanning, so I see these artifacts during movement on screen.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I have to lean more towards what Blood- has described than what willag is seeing. Although I saw some of the same kind of flaws, most of those screen shots are way worse than what I remember seeing when I recently rewatched the first half of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Scrapped Princess with Kari Wahlgren and Bridget Hoffman?! YES!!!!

*High five!*
Two of my favs right there. Loved the voice cast for this.

Can't wait, such a good show.

KitKat1721 wrote:
I hope I'm not fooling myself that The Scrapped Princess license gives me hope for a possible Wolf's Rain rescue in the future (both OOP R1 Bandai releases)?

Here's hoping. That show deserves to be back in print.

BigOnAnime wrote:
Pretty much, and because Aniplex USA doesn't care for catalog titles (See this for more), it's done for. They didn't even get the movie from a few years ago.

Yeah, it's brutal.

belvadeer wrote:
Yeah, that's a huge concern of mine. It's exactly why I was a tad annoyed with how the Xenosaga anime had none of the VAs from the game. I wouldn't say the new VAs ruined it (quite the contrary), but I wanted to hear Lia Sargent and everyone else from the game.

It's the same with Abyss; Tales of the Abyss still has one of the best dubs in gaming history period, so if the anime were to have been dubbed, I would want to hear Yuri Lowenthal, Johnny Bosch, Nicole Karrer (the voice of Tear, it's confirmed, no arguments), Kirk Thornton, Stephanie Sheh and all the rest in their amazing roles, not some replacement cast whose voices try to imitate the original actors.

Yeah, I agree both of these game casts were really fantastic.

I agree I was disappointed the first Xenosaga cast didn't get to come back. The voice changes in the Xenosaga anime with Funi's cast I was more able to live with and still enjoy though (like you said) as they were pretty good despite favoring the original dub cast whereas the changes really bugged me in that second game, though that may have also been because they came out of nowhere and for no good reason. Thank goodness Namco surprisingly fixed that by bringing them (like Bridget Hoffman and Lia Sargent) back for Xenosaga 3. The voice changes in XS2 away from the awesome cast of the first game were pointless. Just like the rest of the changes with 2, the backlash from that game probably helped get their voices back too.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
^Exactly. Sadly the only one who didn't return for Episode III was MOMO's original VA, Sherry Lynn, who seems to be MIA in the dub world. I guess they figured the little Realian matured enough as a character that Christina Puccelli was a better fit for her in Episode III. But Olivia Hack as Shion and Colleen O'Shaughnessey as KOS-MOS were definitely a bit rough as casting choices; my ears were not pleased despite Olivia is a good soundalike for Lia Sargent. Funny how it's the female party members who got the most drastic changes for their VAs.

Joshua Seth did make for a more introspective, mysterious chaos though, so it wasn't a completey bad recasting choice in terms of one of the male characters (don't get me wrong, Derek Stephen Prince was great in Episode I, but Joshua seems to fit his whole gentle aura personality a bit better). It took me some time to get used to him as chaos instead of Derek, but I was okay with it eventually.
Duelist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Joshua Seth did make for a more introspective, mysterious chaos though, so it wasn't a completey bad recasting choice in terms of one of the male characters (don't get me wrong, Derek Stephen Prince was great in Episode I, but Joshua seems to fit his whole gentle aura personality a bit better). It took me some time to get used to him as chaos instead of Derek, but I was okay with it eventually.

A little off-topic but this makes me wonder: Did Derek Stephen Prince and Joshua Seth have a habit of replacing each other in things? Because I know that there were a handful of episodes of Cyborg 009 2001 in which Joshua Seth's 009 was for whatever reason voiced by Derek in those few random episodes. Honestly they didn't really sound very similar either. It was like Tai becoming the Digimon Emperor/Ken.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
^
I remember thinking about this once too like you said back when Cyborg 009 aired. It was always a bit strange when suddenly I'd hear him as 009 in those couple of eps he subbed in for. I agree it's a bit extra bizarre as they don't really sound alike which is what you'd expect if such instances came up.

belvadeer wrote:
^Exactly. Sadly the only one who didn't return for Episode III was MOMO's original VA, Sherry Lynn, who seems to be MIA in the dub world. I guess they figured the little Realian matured enough as a character that Christina Puccelli was a better fit for her in Episode III. But Olivia Hack as Shion and Colleen O'Shaughnessey as KOS-MOS were definitely a bit rough as casting choices; my ears were not pleased despite Olivia is a good soundalike for Lia Sargent. Funny how it's the female party members who got the most drastic changes for their VAs.

Agreed.
Yeah, plus they were already sticking out more since even their personalities kind of fluctuated in the second game when the writing staff unfortunately changed.
Meanwhile the changeover was even harder for me with KOS-MOS. Despite loving Colleen O'Shaughnessey in plenty of other roles (and it's not like she sounded bad) Bridget Hoffman was literally perfect at capturing KOS-MOS and her voice has such a distinctive sound that further added to her uniqueness and mystery, it was pretty hard to separate it from the character.

Yeah, it's a shame Sherry Lynn didn't return and around then seemingly suddenly stopped/retired(?), I always loved her unique sounding voice.

Pretty much agree, both Seth and Prince made for good somewhat different takes on him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:25 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
EDIT: Also, interlaced video plays best on plasma panels and old CRTs, which can play interlaced video directly. However, my computer and HDTV have LCD displays and use progressive scanning, so I see these artifacts during movement on screen.

Ah, that helps explain the difference. I have a plasma TV.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:40 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
I agree I was disappointed the first Xenosaga cast didn't get to come back. The voice changes in the Xenosaga anime with Funi's cast I was more able to live with and still enjoy though (like you said) as they were pretty good despite favoring the original dub cast whereas the changes really bugged me in that second game, though that may have also been because they came out of nowhere and for no good reason. Thank goodness Namco surprisingly fixed that by bringing them (like Bridget Hoffman and Lia Sargent) back for Xenosaga 3. The voice changes in XS2 away from the awesome cast of the first game were pointless. Just like the rest of the changes with 2, the backlash from that game probably helped get their voices back too.

A bit of a note but the Xenosaga anime was ADV's dub, they also dubbed Devil May Cry as well where in that case, they only brought back Dante's VA (from Devil May Cry 3 & 4) but under an alias.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
@willag

I have the Anime Legends complete set of Scrapped Princess. I just put the first disk in and I'm not seeing any problems with video quality at all. Certainly not anything even remotely like your screen caps. I watched about half of the first episode and it appears fairly sharp and clear for a DVD set. In the opening the Japanese Logo looks a bit funky but that appears intentional. The English below it is clear.

The Anime Legends set is still on six disks with the original single titles on each disk. If it was re-authored there is nothing to show that. I'm watching on a 46 inch Sony Bravia LCD HD set.

I do have the figure from the first single LE. I vaguely remember picking it up at a local Big Lots store for under $5. I don't remember what happened to that disk though. The figure is very oddly proportioned.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I actually got a chance to ask Richard Epcar about the Xenosaga dub. He's apparently good friends with Chris Ayres (the ADR Director), and Chris apparently didn't know that there WAS a pre-existing cast, or he would have tried to get them back.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I actually got a chance to ask Richard Epcar about the Xenosaga dub. He's apparently good friends with Chris Ayres (the ADR Director), and Chris apparently didn't know that there WAS a pre-existing cast, or he would have tried to get them back.

Wow seriously? I'm not blaming Chris here, but didn't someone provide him with info about the first game's U.S. release?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8