• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ryohei Yamamoto's Love Rush! Manga Ends in Shonen Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Can someone describe in a little large paragraph what type of story is E-Robot? PLEASE

E-Robot was a series about a robot built by an eccentric mad scientist, who resembled and had the personality of a modest high school girl, but equipped with weapons and functions that either played off of or resembled absurd fan-service tropes. It was a fairly uncomfortable read at times, as the robot character was clearly always uncomfortable with whatever absurd boob-based attack she was making. It shot to the bottom of the popularity rankings almost instantly and i don't think it lasted 10 chapters.

SkerllyF wrote:

Also, while Love Rush had some innovations to the harem formula, the story was mostly squandered by featuring too much tropes, and a lack of focus between being:
A) A Monster Musume rip off focusing on the monster girls
B) Being a Rom-Com

So being in its genre is a flaw? Not sure i understand this complaint. It seems like you enjoyed Monster Musume (me too; at least the anime); did you feel that Love Rush didn't go far enough with its ecchi fan-service?
marvel knight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
LaughingElbow wrote:
Good, this series was so bad. I hope Red Sprite ends too. Viz made a mistake picking these up.

To be honest, while I don't mind either Love Rush or Red Sprite, I honestly doubt that Viz would have picked them up if not for the fact that two series running in English Jump (Nisekoi and Bleach) had just ended and they wanted to fill the gaps.

I have to say that based on both E-Robot and Love Rush that I quite like Yamamoto's art style, but his stories aren't particularly impressive. Maybe if they paired his art with a better writer it might pay off?

Right, and now we're left with 2 slots again, probably 3 since I don't see Red Sprite lasting that much longer.

Honestly should have just picked up Haikyu, makes more sense especially since it wouldn't have be the first time they're not picking a series from the start.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:
Can someone describe in a little large paragraph what type of story is E-Robot? PLEASE

E-Robot was a series about a robot built by an eccentric mad scientist, who resembled and had the personality of a modest high school girl, but equipped with weapons and functions that either played off of or resembled absurd fan-service tropes. It was a fairly uncomfortable read at times, as the robot character was clearly always uncomfortable with whatever absurd boob-based attack she was making. It shot to the bottom of the popularity rankings almost instantly and i don't think it lasted 10 chapters.

SkerllyF wrote:

Also, while Love Rush had some innovations to the harem formula, the story was mostly squandered by featuring too much tropes, and a lack of focus between being:
A) A Monster Musume rip off focusing on the monster girls
B) Being a Rom-Com

So being in its genre is a flaw? Not sure i understand this complaint. It seems like you enjoyed Monster Musume (me too; at least the anime); did you feel that Love Rush didn't go far enough with its ecchi fan-service?

I mean Yamamoto wanted this story to feature both themes, when he could have focused on one of them. And by MonMusu rip-off, I refer to feature storylines focused on monster girls. Of course, it had them, but they lasted 2 chapters minimum, which means little characterization and no comedic or dramatic posibilities with them. Had he stuck with one of the two themes, he would have made a better series.
JDude042

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ryohei Yamamoto's Love Rush! Manga Ends in Shonen Jump
posted on 2016-11-10 00:30 EST
Manga about young man with "Ubermale" gene launched on August 22

Ok guys at ANN. You don't have to sugar coat it for us and be all nice about it. I think it's easy enough to figure it out that this series bombed when it only ran for about 2-3 months in a magazine that's known for long running series, sporting several hundred chapters. I got a better title for the article, and just to be clear, I have no knowledge of this series.

Quote:
Ryohei Yamamoto's Love Rush! Manga Cancelled, Probably Because It Sold Poorly and Readers Hated It?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Putting questions in headlines is very bad practice for journalists as it's either uncontrasted information or outright BS.

But then again, So Is Capitalizing Everything And Putting Unncesarry Or Unrelated Details To The Point Information Becomes Difficult To Parse And The Headline Loses Its Quick Informative And Catchy Purpose.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
Good, this series was so bad. I hope Red Sprite ends too. Viz made a mistake picking these up.

Red Sprite's fine, if rather uninspired. Honestly, Viz didn't really have a choice. With Bleach, Naruto, and Noisiki gone, English Jump was looking more then a little lean. Some content is better then no content.

But holy smokes was Love Rush! horrible. Shueisha really should stop giving its creator chances.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I never thought this would last. Ryohei Yamamoto tried throwing the same idea he had with E-Robot with Love Rush!, only with some Monster Musume mixed in. How does that old saying go again? Something like, "Only a fool would try the same thing twice and expect different results." Only this is an even more derivative version of his previous series.

Dark Absol wrote:
That's pretty short for the shonen jump manga...

Trust me, this ran for twice as long as Yamamoto's previous series.

SaiyamanMS wrote:
To be honest, while I don't mind either Love Rush or Red Sprite, I honestly doubt that Viz would have picked them up if not for the fact that two series running in English Jump (Nisekoi and Bleach) had just ended and they wanted to fill the gaps.

I have to say that based on both E-Robot and Love Rush that I quite like Yamamoto's art style, but his stories aren't particularly impressive. Maybe if they paired his art with a better writer it might pay off?

I'd also like for him to branch out and do something different. Granted, with Nisekoi gone, Love Rush! is the one romance series Weekly Shonen Jump usually has at a time.

Reading both E-Robot and Love Rush!, though, doesn't give me much confidence in him as a writer. Yamamoto seems to be capable of "Busty energetic girls are overcome with emotion and somewhat ashamed of their behavior and/or appearance" stories and nothing else.

Merxamers wrote:
Wow, looks like i stand alone on this, but i feel that Love Rush was and is severely underrated. The protagonist tells his crush how he feels- directly, in person, and without any uncertainty- by CHAPTER 2. Nearly every chapter was direct advancement of the plot or character development, and this series had some interesting things to say about what love actually means. I've read a lot of manga, and the approach Love Rush took felt fresh to me (in tone and execution, if not overall concept and premise).

For those rejoicing that it's now over, i'm curious as to what they actually want in a romantic shonen comedy, or if one could exist that they would actually enjoy. Love Rush wasn't spectacular, but it deserved more of a chance that readers gave it. I would have liked to see where the story was going to go. I do agree that this was miles and away better than E-Robot, and i look forward to seeing this author's next work.

That being said, while the male lead confessed his love in Chapter 2, she did not reciprocate it for a LONG time, due to her social awkwardness.

As for why Love Rush! is disliked, I can't speak for other people, but the reasons I don't really like it are, as I mentioned above, it's derivative (it is definitely banking off the "monster girl harem" fad Monster Musume made popular without doing something unique in any way) and repetitive (every story seems to be about one or more girls fawning over the male lead and being ashamed of something). It is also quite contrived (the "ubermale" gene premise, everyone seemingly in the right place for plot points to happen, and writing suggesting a lack of planning ahead), and everything it does, some other series has done it better.

I also don't really find the male lead that interesting, but that's something I can say for a lot of harem series. However, I had to groan at the ubermale concept as an excuse for every girl around him to go crazy over him without him having to do anything.

You like it, and that's fine with me. I explained what I felt about the series.

SkerllyF wrote:

Merxamers already provided a description, but here's mine (which I wrote before reading that one):

E-Robot is about a typical everyday teenage boy who gets a gift from his far-away father: A sex robot with sex-themed weaponry. She knows all about the arsenal built into her but was not built ready to perform them, so she gets astonished and screams each time she unveils something new. I believe she was also programmed to imprint herself onto someone who gets intimate with her (I forget if it's a kiss or outright sex), which the protagonist outright refuses to do as he's morally against it, but I may be confusing it with Yuria.

(That was the paragraph. Below are further thoughts.)

Unlike Love Rush!, which focuses on emotional romance, E-Robot is through and through a sex comedy, only without anything remotely about sex. Rather, it's done purely via suggestive scenes, innuendo, and half-naked girls (mostly the robot, whose name I forgot) being half-naked. There is little to no actual romance in it.

Personally, I think Love Rush! has the edge over E-Robot in that Yamamoto is more invested in the characters, but it's like comparing school cafeteria lunches: To me, Love Rush! is tolerable, though bland and boring, where E-Robot was nauseating and embarrassing to read. Canned after 9 chapters (the absolute shortest a series can last in Weekly Shonen Jump), I don't think E-Robot was a series that failed to find an audience, like Barrage or Stealth Symphony, but rather, it was just that bad.

Hawkmonger wrote:
Sadly. Urgh, I know comedy is subjective but if your above the age of 14 and still find rape joke and Borat thong gags funny, grow the heck up! Jesus...

Well, it IS in a magazine aimed at boys.
MarquisNJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Sounds like utter garbage. Good riddance. I figure they'll squeeze all 12 chapters into one volume? That certainly was a super short run

No, YOU are utter garbage. Surprised

Love Rush was actually pretty enjoyable so far and I just finished reading chapter 6 earlier. It's a shame that a new series doesn't pan out and gets canned so soon. I thought LR was in a safer spot from getting canned than Red Sprite, due to having and 8 and a 9 ranking in two different weeks. Ch. 2 of LR was my favorite so far.

I'm glad Promised Neverland is finding success though.
MarquisNJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
LaughingElbow wrote:

Red Sprite's fine, if rather uninspired. Honestly, Viz didn't really have a choice. With Bleach, Naruto, and Noisiki gone, English Jump was looking more then a little lean. Some content is better then no content.

But holy smokes was Love Rush! horrible. Shueisha really should stop giving its creator chances.

Do you have an explanation on why in your opinion it's "horrible"? Was it because of the author's writing or what??

It was pretty fine to me. At least give credit for him busting his ass trying to make it in a weekly magazine with a grueling schedule system with barely any sleep. Shallow-Minded westerners like yourself would never understand what they put themselves through for our entertainment. Baka Gaijin at its finest, I swear...
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:30 am Reply with quote
Dude, less of the insults, you're making yourself look daft.

Love Rush was horrible for contrived writing, naff and unfunny gags, despicable characters with no human elements at all, aimless trajectory, over dependence on bad tropes and next to zero originality.

In short, it was a stone cold turkey.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I also don't really find the male lead that interesting, but that's something I can say for a lot of harem series. However, I had to groan at the ubermale concept as an excuse for every girl around him to go crazy over him without him having to do anything.

Gotta say I prefer that "ubermale gene" to the usual "he was somewhat kind to me once" that harem series abuse so much.

Just like such series it was evident that the author wasn't going to make relationships believeable at all but at least acknowledged it.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
MarquisNJ wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
LaughingElbow wrote:

Do you have an explanation on why in your opinion it's "horrible"? Was it because of the author's writing or what??

It was pretty fine to me. At least give credit for him busting his ass trying to make it in a weekly magazine with a grueling schedule system with barely any sleep. Shallow-Minded westerners like yourself would never understand what they put themselves through for our entertainment. Baka Gaijin at its finest, I swear...

Nice insults there 3 poster. But I'll humor you because I'm a nice Gaijin. Love Rush is horrible cause it's insipid, insulting, and just generally offensive. Its art is fine, but wasted cheap fanserve that frankly should make fans of fanservice wince. I won't say Rom Coms are a genre I put much time into as a rule. But I can tell the good ones (Ranma 1/2/Our Love Story), from the BAAAAAAAAAD ones (Nisekoi/Love Rush) pretty easily. Generally they are the ones that don't involve 'Uber Male Genes' to drive the plot.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm shocked or particularly downtrodden about this. The series had some nice ideas for a harem/romcom title but it was pretty barebones otherwise. It was a damn sight better tan E-Robot, but that's not much of an accomplishment.

I'm curious what will happen in US jump. This ending along with Toriko means a chunk of their material each week is gone, and while the addition of the RWBY manga ups the page count some, I imagine they might want to bring in one of the more recent series. Maybe Amalgam of Distortion? That one struck me as potentially interesting.

As for the suggestion of adding Haikyuu!!, I can't say I agree. While they added My Hero Academia and Food Wars after they were established in Japan, they were still relatively new and quick for new readers to catch up or easy enough to jump on. Haikyuu is 4 years old now and 200 chapters in is a little late in the game even with readers who are familiar with the anime. And personally I'd like to see Viz include newer series before resorting to older titles. I like having an idea of what's new in JUMP every quarter and what's catching on (or isn't).
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
Some how I missed that neither Amalgam of Distortion or Spring Weapon No.1 have been officially picked up post Jump Start. Amalgam is definitely the stronger of the two IMO, and both have really similar premises (only one is seriousness and the other is a comedy). I think Amalgam has the potential to go the distance. Far more then Red Sprite.

Quote:
As for the suggestion of adding Haikyuu!!, I can't say I agree. While they added My Hero Academia and Food Wars after they were established in Japan, they were still relatively new and quick for new readers to catch up or easy enough to jump on. Haikyuu is 4 years old now and 200 chapters in is a little late in the game even with readers who are familiar with the anime. And personally I'd like to see Viz include newer series before resorting to older titles. I like having an idea of what's new in JUMP every quarter and what's catching on (or isn't).

Personally, and I acknowlege this probably not a universal behavior, I am undaunted by coming into something late, even at high chapter numbers. I came into Toriko, One Piece, and Bleach in the pages of English Jump around 2012/2013 and after just a few weeks I felt comfortable reading them regularly. Their shear back catalog is a bit daunting to me to ever really want to go back and start at the beginning, but I'm content with that.

I mean, lets face it, many a anime/manga fan came into Dragon Ball with Z, which completely left out years of material from Dragon Ball. And most people didn't have any trouble with that (or even realize it was a 'thing'). I've come into other comic books super late too with nary an issue (Savage Dragon 90, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vol.4, Usagi Yojimbo 138, 2000 AD 1387, etc. etc...) as long as you're willing to infer from context there's no long running anything you can drop yourself in head first and understand.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2