• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Dragon Ball Super, Plans English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Lelouch Vi wrote:
I do hope/ wish they would add Bruce Falcouner's music. And get me the rock the dragon theme song while we're at it. Can't stand that Cha La crap at all.

For what it's worth you're not likely to get either so it'll likely be more Cha La Head Cha La and We Gotta Power "crap" you can't stand Razz

Oh well I won't have to suffer to much, I've only watched Super for the current Trunks arc anyway so I don't have to deal with that crap
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:51 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Guess we will see this in the Toonami block in the near future.

i wouldnt be so sure about that. its not a guarantee that it will get an adult swim broadcast. if it was that easy, then fairy tail would have gotten a CN broadcast premiere a long time ago. not to mentioned that one piece would have already been at least in the paramount war arc instead of all the way in the thriller bark arc. same with dbz kai which was shown on nicktoons which like with naruto shippuden's premiere on disney xd was a utter disaster. i wouldnt be surprised if funi decides to be a little cautious and instead have super get the online only treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
O-chan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
The one thing about this forum discussion is it shows how the Dragonball fandom is splintered into different factions:

1. The fans who prefer the Japanese version in terms of consistency and portrayal of the original characters.

2. The fans who like the reversioning of the series through Funimation's early decisions to make the series more accessible for Western culture.

3. Fans who were exposed to what is currently the 2nd longest running abridged series where the members have gradually make producing it's material (as well as other projects) into a career.

4. Also the Kai fans, some who came in with the recent Toonami airings.

Look, I'm everyone of these fans. I have the Orange Boxes, Rock the Dragon set, the Dragon Boxes, and the Kai DVDs. Dragonball was one of my gateway animes and I've always been in love with the quirky world I was exposed to in the initial Ocean dub of the first series. The dub has always been a interesting trip as portions of it are very enjoyable, while parts of it are "meh", but it is interesting how watching the dub in it's entirety is like watching the history of Funimation and it's actors develop and get better over the course of the show. Yes, there are still some horrible inaccuracies but you do hear the performances evolve until by the time we get to Kai these people are so familiar with their characters.

The thing that slightly bothers me is when fans of the original behave like people don't really know the series if they don't watch the original. Let me tell you something, I got into Dragonball during the VHS fansub days where various subbers decided to add unnecessary cussing, and just made the show come off more edgy than it actually was. We have the vast resources of the internet now and it's not like the Japanese version isn't available to fans. We have the Kansenshuu website which is an excellent resource, Funimation's sub translations which seem pretty legit, as well as the Kai dub which I take as the definitive version for the dubbed version of Z. It doesn't take a "brilliant scientist" to understand that Goku is not Superman-light but a bit of a Fighter Addict. Everyone else in the show seems pretty close to their Japanese counterparts.

I think all fans have to do is just accept there likes and dislikes of the different versions and just embrace their overall love for the Dragonball universe. I feel that love when I watch DBZ Abridged like when the recent episode dealt with the "Teen Gohan" controversy. Sometimes I feel that to be a part of fandom it's better just to embrace all the aspects of that fandom instead of just judging. A lot of times both hardcores and liberal fans miss out on things because they limit themselves on their experiences.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
O-chan wrote:
4. Also the Kai fans, some who came in with the recent Toonami airings.

Also through the airings on Nicktoons and the CW, I had actually seen some of those fans a few years back which was interesting at the time.
Cat's Tuxedo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:06 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
...and the characters should in general be horrible to each other despite the fact they're supposed to be friends and comrades...

Are you sure we're watching the same series?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5