• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - What's "Teekyu" Anyway?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
A: What´s Tekkyu? What´s Tekkyu? Tell me
B: The show for which BErserk 2016 exists
A: (Goes away and never asks about it again)
No Comment

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Great column. I'm pretty sure your previous column on anime shorts was what convinced me to try Teekyu in the first place, so I must thank you for that.

Teekyu is the gift that keeps on giving. It should soon surpass Slayers as the franchise with the most anime that I've seen. When I initially gave season 1 a try, for the first few episodes all I could think was, "this is terrible", but then by the end, I was completely sold, watched season 2, and eagerly awaited for season 3 to finish airing. Since then I've dutifully returned for every addition and spinoff. With all the perpetual continuations it seems to receive, I'm amazed it hasn't made the jump to the big screen yet. I'm not sure how that would work, but I would see it all all costs. When the topic of favorite sports anime comes up, I always have to mentally filter Teekyu out of my head so people aren't confused.

Despite Teekyu binges have questionable health effects, it is my preferred way to consume the show. Wait until a season is done, watch it in one fell swoop. My dream would be a physical release that has multiple seasons on one disc with an option to skip the OPs and EDs.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
That one screenshot, funny though it may be, makes me wonder why the Japanese are so fascinated with the Predator franchise.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:49 am Reply with quote
watched the first two seasons because of this article. Pretty funny show. My favorite gag is when they had to ride the Catbus to the house, And it was full of Internal organs and fleas Laughing
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
What? Predator and its associated enemy like Alien is extremely well known in all kind of fan culture across the world, not just in Japan.They are iconic just like how Arnold Schwarzenegger is greatly infamous for being the Terminator, and Slyvester Stallone for being John Rambo.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I really hope Sentai or Discotek bring this series over. I'm not sure there would be a huge audience for it, but I also can't imagine it costing them that much.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
What? Predator and its associated enemy like Alien is extremely well known in all kind of fan culture across the world, not just in Japan.

I know. I'm just wondering what do they like about it specifically. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing they'd be interested in.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Well, Japan isn't actually all about idols, moe, and fluffy things. Ever heard of Drifters? It's a particularly violent series and bode similarly with things like Predator which is probably preferred mostly by man and I heard that it sold like hotcakes apparently. A more easier answer though, people have different taste so the person that included the Predator easter egg are perhaps a fan of it. It still has the iconic influences it bear so most people will definitely find it easier to relate with. If my current answer now not suffice, then I don't know what else to say.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Well, Japan isn't actually all about idols, moe, and fluffy things.

A lot of the time, it is though. That's not meant as an insult toward them or anything, it's just the image they've created for themselves, in much the same way North America is often associated with liking excessive violence, football, guns and other manly images.
motormind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
The first season of Teekyu was a masterful feat of absurdist humor, especially with that wonderfully bizarre opening tune. After that it became a bit samey,

I must say though that I liked Usakame quite a bit. I keep hoping they will make more seasons of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2