• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Film Gold Earns US$164,409 on 1st Day at U.S. Box Office

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
TokyoSplash wrote:
^ I've got an answer for you there. Although, you might not like it. IMO (once again) the Japanese dub puts more passion into their voice acting. Me and A LOT of others feel Tanaka's voice acting. I can't say the same for Kai kid Gohan's.

You debunked my first argument? OHHHH NOOOOO how will I ever live?!

How do you define "they have more passion"? Because they yell more or something? I never really got that line of logic when it came to people defending subs.

Basically. I can't say I blame you. It's something not a lot of people like to hear. But It's something you come to terms with being a sub fan of a particular series. Yelling being a reason that is. I can't lie to myself and say I don't enjoy that type of voice acting more than being calm and complacent.
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I just saw this in theaters tonight, and it was great. Good story, animation, and I rather enjoyed the cameos of past characters from the TV series. I watch everything subtitled, but made an exception for the movie and didn't regret it. So worth seeing, and I'm happy to see it's doing well in theaters. Hopefully, Funimation will release future 1p films in the same manner because I'll be there, ready to throw money at a ticket anytime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
TokyoSplash wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
TokyoSplash wrote:
^ I've got an answer for you there. Although, you might not like it. IMO (once again) the Japanese dub puts more passion into their voice acting. Me and A LOT of others feel Tanaka's voice acting. I can't say the same for Kai kid Gohan's.

How do you define "they have more passion"? Because they yell more or something? I never really got that line of logic when it came to people defending subs.

Basically. I can't say I blame you. It's something not a lot of people like to hear. But It's something you come to terms with being a sub fan of a particular series. Yelling being a reason that is. I can't lie to myself and say I don't enjoy that type of voice acting more than being calm and complacent.

What the hell are you talking about, how exactly do you know that Japanese voice actors do a better job and are objectively superior when you you don't even understand the language their speaking and you need subtitles to even figure out what their saying?
Also how do you even know when a Japanese voice actor is even doing a good job in the first place? Also I don't get your last point, Japanese actors don't yell anymore often that English voice actors do. Is whether the voice actors are yelling enough your only basis for determining when the voice acting is good or not and by extension the dub, if that's so then you don't know a damn thing about voice acting. Oh and for the last time Colleen Clinkenbeard was cast as Luffy long before she was Gohan so stop bringing that up.
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:15 am Reply with quote
ryoukosan245 wrote:
TokyoSplash wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
TokyoSplash wrote:

What the hell are you talking about, how exactly do you know that Japanese voice actors do a better job and are objectively superior when you you don't even understand the language their speaking and you need subtitles to even figure out what their saying?
Also how do you even know when a Japanese voice actor is even doing a good job in the first place? Also I don't get your last point, Japanese actors don't yell anymore often that English voice actors do. Is whether the voice actors are yelling enough your only basis for determining when the voice acting is good or not and by extension the dub, if that's so then you don't know a damn thing about voice acting. Oh and for the last time Colleen Clinkenbeard was cast as Luffy long before she was Gohan so stop bringing that up.

So much for not giving a shit huh? Laughing
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:19 am Reply with quote
TokyoSplash wrote:
ryoukosan245 wrote:
TokyoSplash wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
TokyoSplash wrote:

So much for not giving a shit huh? Laughing

I said I didn't give a shit about you thinking the japanese version is 10x superior, that doesn't mean I can't call your bullshit when I see it.
Also congratulations for once again sidestepping the argument and failing to counter anything I just said.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
$164409 from playing in 371 theaters means each theater earned $443.15.
All of the theaters I saw only had one showing, so that's how much each theater earned per screening.
Ticket prices range from $10-$12 so, there were 44-37 people on average in each screening. That's amazing considering the only marketing done on it was posters, social media, and banner ads.

I actually forgot this was showing around now. I wonder if there are more people like me who wanted to see it but forgot.

That, and I came down with a fever at the beginning of this week, so I wouldn't have mustered the energy to go anyway, nor would I want to be the sick person in a crowd of people in an enclosed area.

ryoukosan245 wrote:
Okay I'll debunk your entire argument right here, first of all Funimation's dub of One Piece started in 2007 while their dub of DBZ Kai started in 2010 meaning One Piece was dubbed 3 years before DBZ Kai ,so Colleen Clinkenbeard & Brina Palencia were in One Piece before DBZ Kai, Ian Sinclair was cast as Brook before he was in Dragon Ball and Luci Christian, Stephanie Young & Patrick Seitz have never been in Dragon Ball at all outside the video games. second of all of course they share voice actors they were dubbed by the same company, that's like complaining that Naruto & Bleach shares many of the same voice actors and even than they've been consistantly casting actors outside their main talent pool since episode 207. Third of all a voice actor being in more than on major project has nothing to do with the quality of the voice acting. Finally if you have a problem with the voice actors for the main cast take it up with Oda not Funimation, he was the one who had final say on who the voice actors will be.

If you don't care for the dub in the first place why did you go see it in the theater instead of waiting for the dvd release, nobody is forcing you to watch it, to me it seems like you just wasted money on a less positive experience for yourself.

C'mon. TokyoSplash liked it, and it seems you like it too. Why is there even an argument?

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Japanese voice direction and Anglosphere voice direction are pretty different and appeal to different people. They really yell in Japanese, whereas in English, everything is more subdued. If the acting styles were suddenly switched, that loud style in English would sound more hammy and campy than Adam West Batman, whereas the subdued, realistic style in Japanese would sound dull.

I remember there being a pretty complicated explanation for it, but I don't remember what it was. (Aside from my guess being kabuki/noh theater vs. method acting being wrong.)
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:58 am Reply with quote
@ryoukosan245

The fact that you think I'm in any type of argument with you proves how arrogant you are. Once again, I'm stating what I like and dislike. You are not about to tell me anything otherwise as I don't care for you at all. I appreciate you caring about me on the other hand and welcome it with open arms fam Laughing
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
TokyoSplash wrote:
@ryoukosan245

The fact that you think I'm in any type of argument with you proves how arrogant you are. Once again, I'm stating what I like and dislike. You are not about to tell me anything otherwise as I don't care for you at all. I appreciate you caring about me on the other hand and welcome it with open arms fam Laughing

Dumbass.
toukayeah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Pretty amazing it had any viewers at all considering it was English dubbed. Great movie though, easily the most fun I've had with One Piece in years.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
toukayeah wrote:
Pretty amazing it had any viewers at all considering it was English dubbed.

Is that some kind of hyperbole?
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
toukayeah wrote:
Pretty amazing it had any viewers at all considering it was English dubbed. Great movie though, easily the most fun I've had with One Piece in years.

You know some people do enjoy dubs, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2