• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:32 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Now then! What's next for me? Is it... Martian Successor Nadesico, Boys Over Flowers, Ping Pong Club, Gundam Wing, Wedding Peach, Saber Marionette R, or Key the Metal Idol?

Go for Key, I say! It is still readily available for streaming, if I recall, and I will maintain that it holds its own (to say the least) against the rivalling titles you've listed.

Got it. I'll watch it right after Marionette R since that's only 3 OVAs.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
, Boys Over Flowers

Do watch anything but that. Laughing
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow! I just looked up our own encyclopedia article and read the one review. Our very own Zac Bertschy thought it was amazing. Zac... were you okay back then?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
So I decided to make my way through the Initial D series mainly because of the Euobeat meme. I'm enjoying the series more than I thought I would but I guess it's just the eurobeat hyping everything up. So far, I've gotten through three installments (1st, 2nd, and 3rd Stage).

First Stage was pretty formulaic, constantly establishing the next opponent after the current one so the show just flew by. It wasn't boring but it just made thes how really predictable. However, the eurobeat playing in the background did hype up the races despite knowing the victor. The CGI appeared to be the same each time, too, so every race -- excluding the parts that showed the drivers' thoughts -- felt the same (all about the corners and hairpins!). I also wasn't a fan of the art -- the characters all had this really round face which was detracting. However, Second Stage really improved upon these complaints as well as add some depth to some characters. It raised the stakes by giving Takumi, the main character, more reasons to win and care more about his battles. Itsuki, Takumi's best friend, is a huge annoyance though -- his loudmouth attitude and constant gloating about Takumi's achievements were annoying since he caused more trouble than good. I understand he's suppose to be the opposite of Takumi's docile and silent nature but Itsuki really made me grind my teeth. By far, my biggest complaint of the show has to be the romance. At every corner, there seems to be a case of misunderstanding or something wrong with the girl(s). For example, Iketani's inferiority complex that caused him spoiler[to flake and miss his chance of getting with someone]. And the biggest one is, of course, Takumi finding out his love interest, Mogi, had a spoiler[sugar daddy]. I liked his response to the issue but afterwards, I genuinely felt bad for Mogi because she didn't did it out of maliciousness but was rather, err, oblivious to how money works is the only way I can put it. Romance aside, First Stage felt more intense than Second Stage with how it constantly established the next opponent (some of which became fodder for others -- one more complaint of mine) and the number of races. Though to be fair, it was a longer season. Animation wasn't really anything spectacular in either season but since this is a racing anime, as long as the battles were alright, I was fine with it.

Third Stage was a lot better with the animation and CGI. I felt the drifts and it provided much better scenery so I could visualize the mountain passes better. Additionally, they put more effort into scenes outside of the races so I definitely enjoyed it more. Though, it did feel rushed because there was not a lot of downtime. One race occurs and then another one follows a few days later. It also handles the love trouble Takumi had maturely, the apologies and clearing up some issues. Well, until a third party appears and complicates things. Love just doesn't really have a place in this show.

To be honest, the show is fun enough to watch just because of the eurobeat. So, next on my list will probably be 4th, 5th, Final Stage, the movies and some of the OVAs. Hopefully the later stages are as good as Third Stage production wise.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Babel II (1992 OVA) - I remember hearing about Babel II growing up and my blockbuster had VHS copies of this anime back in the day. Seeing that it's from the creator of Tetsujin 28-go (Gigantor), I finally decided to check it out for the first time. I end up really enjoying this anime. The animation is pretty great for its time and the music is really good too. The dub from Streamline Pictures is pretty decent, but I would like to see the Japanese version soon.

What I enjoy about this anime was the story because I find the idea of the Tower of Babel being link with Aliens to be really cool. I also found the villains to be cool and interesting. Our main hero "Koichi Yamano" is pretty cool, but I felt like they rush his character development pretty quickly. However I did his found his powers to summon three powerful beings (A a shape-shifting black panther, Giant Robot and a Rodan type of monster) to be pretty awesome. I did wish those three beings would be use more often in the anime.

Another issue that I had with the anime was the supporting cast felt weak and the last act of the anime feels very rush. While this anime is not great, I think Babel II was very enjoyable from start to finish. It had a cool premise and awesome action sequences. If you want something with strong character development and deep writing, you won't find it in this anime. If you enjoy old school OVAs or 90's Shonen anime with cool fight scenes like DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho or Flame of Recca, I suggest to give this anime a watch. 7.5/10

I'm now curious to check out the manga, the 1973 TV series and the 2001 reboot TV series.

Last edited by Spawn29 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:16 am Reply with quote
^

Now that I know there were so many other ways to view that series (manga and two separate TV shows), I must ask why you chose the OVAs.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:57 am Reply with quote
I'm on the third episode of Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club, which is farther than I got with last season's girls cycling entry. It's not great, but it's not terrible either. The main girl is kind of a ditz, but there are varying degrees of competence among the rest that help to offset that. She's a lot like the Honda rider in Bakuon!!. The whole cast is kind of lifted from that, actually. I just wish they'd move things along a little faster, because there's not much going on that should need so much time to explain or process.

So they've finally decided to form their club, and the school principal and mentor and former cycling club member back in her school days comments, "But I don't think you need to limit yourself to cycling. There are all kinds of ways to enjoy bicycles, right?" Since she didn't elaborate, I was left wondering what in the hell she meant by that. Shocked I'm hoping that "cycling" was a bad translation of "touring," but if not, my mind is going to places I think this anime did not intend...

I like the "how to choose your equipment" parts at the end, though the ways they're trying to appeal to girls is problematic at times. Also the one girl's expression in her cut-out poster leading into these bits looks like she's about to be executed. But if it gets more girls out riding bikes, more power to 'em!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
^
I have seen the first 10 episodes of Long Riders, which I'm enjoying in a very laid-back, low-key way (I'm not sure if it officially qualifies as one of those "healing" animes, but that's how I'm treating it), but I am prefering MKHSGCC more. It has more vibrancy and even has a bit of a story to it occasionally. Also, the background scenery is pretty gorgeous.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
^

Now that I know there were so many other ways to view that series (manga and two separate TV shows), I must ask why you chose the OVAs.

Going from what I've seen the manga and 70's TV show was never fully translated. Not to mention I love the animation style that anime from the late 80's and early-mid 90's had. It has that very nostalgic feel it to me.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
^

Going from what I've seen the manga and 70's TV show was never fully translated. Not to mention I love the animation style that anime from the late 80's and early-mid 90's had. It has that very nostalgic feel it to me.

I understand that feeling. It's what made me want to do what I'm doing right now. That is... I'm going down my to-watch and "seen some" list on ANN in Chronological order of release. Right now I'm at the mid-90s and its helped me to see such classics as Lupin the 3rd, the earliest Gundams, Space Pirate Captain Harlock, Ringing Bell, and Fist of the North Star.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
^
I have seen the first 10 episodes of Long Riders, which I'm enjoying in a very laid-back, low-key way (I'm not sure if it officially qualifies as one of those "healing" animes, but that's how I'm treating it), but I am prefering MKHSGCC more. It has more vibrancy and even has a bit of a story to it occasionally. Also, the background scenery is pretty gorgeous.

I'll have to admit that one of the main reasons that I became interested in MKHSGCC is the setting of Kamakura. I was particularly elated when they decided to make their first cycling destination Enoshima, an island that I had visited on my trip to Japan this past summer.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
So you guys, what did she mean by that?? What "all kinds of ways" would you enjoy a bicycle besides cycling? That this kindly old grandma would teach young girls about, that is. I'm alarmed by that comment and am afraid she won't ever spell it out. Shocked
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So you guys, what did she mean by that?? What "all kinds of ways" would you enjoy a bicycle besides cycling? That this kindly old grandma would teach young girls about, that is. I'm alarmed by that comment and am afraid she won't ever spell it out. Shocked

To be honest I think you were correct the first time, that it is a translation artifact. In addition to touring the Japanese word may mean something like commuting. I assume you are getting at the idea that girls might be sexually aroused by the bicycle seat. I think you would have to ask someone sufficiently into Japanese culture to know if that is an Japanese belief similar to the idea that a nose bleed indicates sexual arousal.

If I had to guess I would say it isn't. I'm pretty sure I've seen photos of women riding bicycles as early as the beginning of the 20th Century. If they had believed that they would simply have prevented that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

GET YOUR MIND OUTTA DA GUTTAH, WOMAN!!!

Wink

The way I took it was there were different ways to enjoy cycling, not bicycles. There's long range touring, racing, sedate short sight-seeing, etc. Sorry Perv McPervaster, Esq., I didn't go "there."
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Been watching Ef: A Tale of Memories, pretty impressive visual qualities. I liked quite a lot the whole atmosphere of the show so far although the writing is kinda "meh".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 957 of 1062