• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Is A "Salaryman"?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paiprince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you're not instantly granted "openness" when you work in the US. Not every company is a Google or Amazon. In fact, they are the minority (Hell, I've even heard that if you don't subscribe to the mentality and "gungho-ness" those two companies push, you will have a bad time). Japan's corporate culture is heavily modeled in America's Fortune 500 style of management. I dunno why expats who try to work there complain and say it's a Japan only problem. If you can't even last a day in the office there, what makes you think you can work in any white collar occupation?

And here lies the issue as to why salaryman are portrayed poorly in media, anime and manga included. It's no secret that artists view rigid structure and control with disdain which are the core tenets that make up salaryman life. If only there were more manga Shima Kousaku that portrayed the good side of the salaryman. Despite what the constant sensationalism that gets about this demographics, they're people just like us. They didn't sign off their souls once they join the company. There are those who are genuinely committed and proud of their occupations. Something that we've seen less and less in this increasingly contrarian environment. Unfortunately, that would require an actual salaryman to pen those and their feelings towards those childish and escapist mangaka are mutual.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
I actually think British and Austrialians are the most difficult to work with as they are liable to laziness.

For the most part, Australians are pretty hard working, but less inclined to put up with unrealistic or unreasonable demands from employers, which employers tend to mistake for laziness.

The British you might have a point with, though - when my parents were living in England, they witnessed incredible amounts of blatant slacking off on the job, all done by the locals. The temp agencies they used actually had folders of jobs marked "only for Australians" because they needed someone who would do actual work, and the British couldn't be relied on for it. Mind you, this was in the 70s and things have improved since then.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
Reminds me of last season's The Great Passage, which I think is one of the more favorable portrayals of salarymen in anime. "Favorable" in that it doesn't paint it with the usual stereotypes associated with the term. Sure, the trappings were there : long hours at work, some drinking with coworkers, some office politics. But it depicts white-collar workers who are capable of being passionate about (or eventually learning to love) their jobs. The show doesn't doom the characters to being jaded or perpetually bored just for being an office worker in a Japanese setting.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
And of course the salaryman occupation is where the stereotype of the Japanese having a hive mind mentality came from.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
And of course the salaryman occupation is where the stereotype of the Japanese having a hive mind mentality came from.

Of course, it also came from Japanese companies trying branch out with US purchases and acquisitions during the Boom 80's, and a bestselling expose' business-book bestseller on Japanese strategy at the time.
And our lingering postwar lack of acquaintance with their culture (we barely knew anything about them since the 40's before anime hit), coupled with our resentment over their economic ambition, made it seem "silly" when new Japanese-owned US Toyota plants tried insisting on Japanese "unity" practices for their US workers, like morning exercises.

A real-life culture-shock that was eventually satirized in the 1986 Michael Keaton comedy "Gung Ho", which also played on the US's negative 80's yellow-peril view of harsh corporate-Japanese beehive-overwork at the time.
John Jones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Just an aside, has this column always been basically "listen to the racist idiot JET teacher at the bar pronounce on the true nature of the Japanese mind and society"?

At least Jake Adelstein made a very successful book career out of it and isn't writing for an anime fan website

Last edited by John Jones on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Jones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Oh boy, it goes back a lot further than that. Turns out racism isn't actually grounded on real or justifiable things, it's just racism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Despotism#Ancient_Greece_and_Oriental_Despotism

Quote:

Of all the ancient Greeks, Aristotle was perhaps the most influential promoter of the concept of oriental despotism. He passed this ideology to his student, Alexander the Great, who conquered Persia, which at the time was ruled by the despotic Darius III, the last king of the Achaemenid dynasty. Aristotle asserted that oriental despotism was not based on force, but on consent. Hence, fear could not be said to be its motivating force, but rather the servile nature of those enslave, which would feed upon the power of the despot master. Within ancient Greek society, every Greek man was free and capable of holding office; both able to rule and be ruled. In contrast, among the barbarians, all were slaves by nature. Another difference Aristotle espoused was based on climates. He observed that the peoples of cold countries, especially those of Europe, were full of spirit but deficient in skill and intelligence, and that the peoples of Asia, although endowed with skill and intelligence, were deficient in spirit and hence were subjected to slavery. Possessing both spirit and intelligence, the Greeks were free to govern all other peoples (Politics 7.1327b [1]).

The servile, hive mind Asian is a racist trope that's been around for 2500 years and judging by the tenor of conversation on this website and the broader public I sure don't see it going away anytime soon.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
Since you say you know more about this topic, then I think it's worth it for you to explain to us the salaryman phenomenon from your perspective too.
John Jones

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:36 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Since you say you know more about this topic, then I think it's worth it for you to explain to us the salaryman phenomenon from your perspective too.

I'm not the one making claims about Japanese society, the burden of proof is on the person who is.

Half of these articles are unsubstantiated claims about the Japanese mind and society. With this article specifically the claim that Japanese corporate culture stifles innovation needs a whole lot more exploration than is given here, particularly in light of the fact that the most dynamic, innovative period in Japan's economic history was the one where salaryman culture was the most firmly entrenched.

It's a claim that could be defended probably, but of course it's not going to be because this the point of this column is to gawk at the wacky Japanese

Last edited by John Jones on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:55 am; edited 3 times in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
John Jones wrote:
I'm not the one making claims about Japanese society, the burden of proof is on the person who is.

But you're the one making the accusation. I'd say the burden of proof is on you. Otherwise, I have no reason to take your views seriously.
John Jones

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
John Jones wrote:

But you're the one making the accusation. I'd say the burden of proof is on you. Otherwise, I have no reason to take your views seriously.

I'm not sure you understand how this works? The article makes claims about Japanese society that it does not elaborate on. I don't. Thus the burden of proof is on the article. Of course this being Japan you can make literally any bullshit claim you want and people will believe you but that's what the problem is
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
John Jones wrote:
I'm not really sure you understand how this works? The article makes claims about Japanese society that it does not elaborate on. I don't. Thus the burden of proof is on the article.

On second thought, I didn't notice you had edited one of your earlier posts elaborating on what you meant. That's actually what I was looking for. Sorry about all that. I mistook it for a bare accusation, which would hold no weight in an argument.
John Jones

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
John Jones wrote:
I'm not really sure you understand how this works? The article makes claims about Japanese society that it does not elaborate on. I don't. Thus the burden of proof is on the article.

On second thought, I didn't notice you had edited one of your earlier posts elaborating on what you meant. That's actually what I was looking for. Sorry about all that. I mistook it for a bare accusation, which would hold no weight in an argument.

Yeah, sorry, I edited it a bit
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2