• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Announces Its Own Convention After Surpassing 1 Million Paid Subscribers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
computerandy9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
Really wish they would focus their efforts on making the video player less terrible and increasing the bitrate on 1080p video. Crunchyroll is completely unusable for me. The low bitrate is blinding and the flash video player is probably the worst video player i've ever used on a subscription based site.

I would seriously be happy to pay more in order to get better quality video and a better player.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:54 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
While I am sincerely happy for you, I'd like to note that many people have to drive 5-6 hours or more to get to ANY decent Con. Now we are looking at most likely having two of the biggest and probably best cons in the Country within that distance from each other. I think it's fair to be a little bit annoyed.

I think it can easily be shown that California, especially Northern California, has one of the largest, if not *the* largest, demographic of Asians in the US. Not that I'm saying that every person who is Asian is an anime/manga fan, but you have a more receptive audience for all things Japanese in the Bay Area than you do in, say, Topeka, Kansas.

You wrote your location as that Virginia. So you have Otakon. And if you're willing to travel along the eastern seaboard, you also have Anime Boston and Animazement in Raleigh, NC. Please remind me again just how it is that you are suffering when people in South Dakota have it far worse.

For me to attend Anime Expo, I either take a 1 hour flight or drive the 6 hours to get to it. I'm not quite sure what you're considering as 'two of the biggest and best cons', because SoCal is a good 5-7 hour drive from San Francisco, and Fanime in San Jose, CA is nowhere near a 'best' con.

I think you totally misinterpreted my comment. I wasn't complaining about my situation, but rather that exact person who is in Kansas with nothing remotely close to them. Hence why I literally said "I'd like to note that many people have to drive 5-6 hours or more to get to ANY decent Con."
For what it's worth, Otakon is still not on the level of AX, or likely this CR thing, in terms of Japanese guests, and it's the biggest thing on this Coast. What I'd like to see is a Con that hosts lots of Japanese guests on the East Coast, or the Midwest, like Chicago, or Indi, or Columbus, or(ideally for me) Otakon in DC.

I actually wrote most of my comment above before realizing this, but did you even read my comment? Or the person I was responding to? THEY mentioned the 5-6 hour time frame as they claimed to be someone from that area, and I was just taking their word for it. The second of those "biggest and best cons" that I said we would "most likely [be] having" now is the convention this entire thread is about! Hence why I framed my comment as subjectively as I did. It might be a wreck, but from the sounds of it, it will have LOTS of Japanese guests, and that is why I go to conventions to begin with. Sakuracon also tends to get a crap ton of awesome Japanese guests. I'm aware of the geographic and logistical benefits of being on that side of the country for Anime cons and getting guests, but I would still like to see something over here someday.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:37 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I think you totally misinterpreted my comment. I wasn't complaining about my situation, but rather that exact person who is in Kansas with nothing remotely close to them. Hence why I literally said "I'd like to note that many people have to drive 5-6 hours or more to get to ANY decent Con."

The cons go where the money is. The money is not in Kansas. Nor is it in South Dakota. It's in areas where there are large portion of the population who are Asian and appreciate the manga/anime fandom. You can whine all you'd like that it's not fair, but if it bothered these people so much, they'd either move to areas where there are more cons, or simply travel to them. It's similar to how I can't stand Fanime, so I pay $800+ to travel to Animazement.

Quote:
For what it's worth, Otakon is still not on the level of AX, or likely this CR thing, in terms of Japanese guests, and it's the biggest thing on this Coast. What I'd like to see is a Con that hosts lots of Japanese guests on the East Coast, or the Midwest, like Chicago, or Indi, or Columbus, or(ideally for me) Otakon in DC.

Have you been to AX recently? It's absolute garbage, or at least compared to how it was even as recently as 2013. Nothing like spending $250+ on a hotel room close to the con per night only to stand in line at 3 am every day in the hope of getting 1, and just 1, autograph ticket at 8 am before you have to head around back to the end of the line if you want any more autographs. Everything is a la carte. You want to attend the concert with that hot Japanese group? That'll be $60 extra. How about that Aniplex event? That'll be another $40. Masquerade? All extra, and most events requiring that you spend a solid 2+ hours just waiting to gain access to that panel. A 4 day pass does nothing more than to get you into the door and allow you to stand in line with all the other 100K attendees.

As an AX veteran, I would much rather go to a smaller con like CrunchyCon if it means that my hotel room will act as something more than glorified luggage storage. Or, you know, I can actually enjoy the con instead of spending all my time in lines.

Quote:
The second of those "biggest and best cons" that I said we would "most likely [be] having" now is the convention this entire thread is about! Hence why I framed my comment as subjectively as I did. It might be a wreck, but from the sounds of it, it will have LOTS of Japanese guests, and that is why I go to conventions to begin with. Sakuracon also tends to get a crap ton of awesome Japanese guests. I'm aware of the geographic and logistical benefits of being on that side of the country for Anime cons and getting guests, but I would still like to see something over here someday.

You're giving CrunchyCon too much credit. This will be a first year con, and many are hesitant about going to a start-up con. CR will have to foot a lot of the bill, initially, so with the expense of renting the space themselves, they're not going to fly over the biggest names in Japan. If anything, I expect that this will be very similar to how Japan Expo USA was its first year, with one big name guest and a small handful of up-and-coming guests.

I've attended SakuraCon for many years and find some of their guests very lackluster. I've seen several of them at previous cons, such as Nagahama and Kubota. Unless the guest is sponsored by Aniplex, SakuraCon usually focuses on getting guests that can draw who are usually past their prime.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Have you been to AX recently? It's absolute garbage, or at least compared to how it was even as recently as 2013. Nothing like spending $250+ on a hotel room close to the con per night only to stand in line at 3 am every day in the hope of getting 1, and just 1, autograph ticket at 8 am before you have to head around back to the end of the line if you want any more autographs. Everything is a la carte. You want to attend the concert with that hot Japanese group? That'll be $60 extra. How about that Aniplex event? That'll be another $40. Masquerade? All extra, and most events requiring that you spend a solid 2+ hours just waiting to gain access to that panel. A 4 day pass does nothing more than to get you into the door and allow you to stand in line with all the other 100K attendees.

As an AX veteran, I would much rather go to a smaller con like CrunchyCon if it means that my hotel room will act as something more than glorified luggage storage. Or, you know, I can actually enjoy the con instead of spending all my time in lines.

I feel compelled to ask: What do conventions of comparable size and/or attendee density do? Anime Expo and San Diego Comic-Con are the only large conventions I attend, and while I have little interest in concerts and such so I don't know the extent of what a ticket to SDCC gets you, SDCC's line problems are even worse (especially with how some people will attend early panels so they can sit in the room and wait for the panel they're actually interested in). I can't come up with any ideas about reducing the wait time for lines that doesn't just cause everyone to mob and hover around the area nearby anyway. Well, there IS the possibility of you choosing which panels you want to go to ahead of time and they'll reserve a seat for you. I went to a small convention where they did that, though, and it was disastrous because people reserved those seats months in advance and then less than half of them actually attended the panels, resulting in a lot of empty seats that couldn't be filled by people who were too late to reserve or didn't know about the reservation system.

Or do you mean that you personally prefer smaller conventions?
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
@Cutiebunny I think part of this is our different tastes in the types of things that we like about going to cons. I have rarely had to wait in line for more than 10 minutes at any con I've been to, including Otakon, because I'm not particularly interested in most of the big draws that everyone else is there for. I imagine that will be different at AX because the guests are basically the largest draw, but from reports, it doesn't sound nearly as bad as your impression. I also don't really have any interest in those other extra expenses you mentioned, other than maybe the Aniplex Event, so the expenses are not that big of an issue.
I've been following the Sakuracon guest list for years, thanks to ANN, and having many friends in the area from previously residing in WA, and there are a TON of Japanese guests going there every year that I'd love to meet, personally. This year is featuring Urobuchi, Kubota, Yasuhiro Irie, Digitarou, Nagahayama, Sonoda, and Shiki Douji! ALL of those people are HUGE deals to me. Otakon last year got a couple of PA works staff(which was great) and a couple of producers from Under the Dog, and that was pretty much it...
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
The cons go where the money is. The money is not in Kansas. Nor is it in South Dakota.(...) if it bothered these people so much, they'd either move to areas where there are more cons, or simply travel to them. It's similar to how I can't stand Fanime, so I pay $800+ to travel to Animazement.

When there were less than 10 cons a year, people would travel cross country to go to an anime con. Now people normally go to what's close (and heck, if I'm gonna pay $1000+ to go to Expo from outside of CA, why not just go to Japan). GenCon pulls over 60,000 to Indiana, the anime industry COULD do similar if they wanted to TRY to market to people outside of CA. When there were a small number of cons the people going actually knew who the Japanese guests were, now a bunch of people don't care. They "prefer" American guests because those are the people they get face time with. "Oh, boo hoo, Japanese animators can't pay rent, who cares I dunno who those people are, lemme take a selfie with the English voice of this Toonami show"

Most people that attend cons can rattle off 5 or more English language voice actors. how many can name ONE Japanese seiyuu? How many can name any directors other than Miyazaki? Or character designers? Or mangaka? Or ANYONE from the other side of the ocean? And I lay a LOT of blame for that on the US industry. true story: I have now THREE TIMES tried to promote an anime title, two of the three I have literally brought some of the Japanese creative staff to the US. One of the times I only got ANY US involvement because I hounded them relentlessly and I still didn't get final confirmation until really late, the second time I got a "no thanks" and the third time they just stopped responding entirely. (different company each time)

So, when I talk to US anime companies about setting up things for anime titles which I've made arrangements, set the whole thing up AND PAID FOR THE WHOLE THING ALREADY and they can't be bothered to answer a query about promoting their own damn titles, or won't otherwise do the absolute bare MINIMUM to let you market their stuff FOR them, then yeah, screw the industry for saying "we're keeping it out here in Cali yo".
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
When there were less than 10 cons a year, people would travel cross country to go to an anime con. Now people normally go to what's close (and heck, if I'm gonna pay $1000+ to go to Expo from outside of CA, why not just go to Japan). GenCon pulls over 60,000 to Indiana, the anime industry COULD do similar if they wanted to TRY to market to people outside of CA. When there were a small number of cons the people going actually knew who the Japanese guests were, now a bunch of people don't care. They "prefer" American guests because those are the people they get face time with. "Oh, boo hoo, Japanese animators can't pay rent, who cares I dunno who those people are, lemme take a selfie with the English voice of this Toonami show"

Most people that attend cons can rattle off 5 or more English language voice actors. how many can name ONE Japanese seiyuu? How many can name any directors other than Miyazaki? Or character designers? Or mangaka? Or ANYONE from the other side of the ocean? And I lay a LOT of blame for that on the US industry. true story: I have now THREE TIMES tried to promote an anime title, two of the three I have literally brought some of the Japanese creative staff to the US. One of the times I only got ANY US involvement because I hounded them relentlessly and I still didn't get final confirmation until really late, the second time I got a "no thanks" and the third time they just stopped responding entirely. (different company each time)

So, when I talk to US anime companies about setting up things for anime titles which I've made arrangements, set the whole thing up AND PAID FOR THE WHOLE THING ALREADY and they can't be bothered to answer a query about promoting their own damn titles, or won't otherwise do the absolute bare MINIMUM to let you market their stuff FOR them, then yeah, screw the industry for saying "we're keeping it out here in Cali yo".

Well, if you were still in Austin at the time, then that'd mean you were reasonably close to FUNimation, so I can see why there'd be a lot of emphasis on the English-language guests. As for me, I'm a dub person so I gravitate to the English-language voice actors over the Japanese ones, though I'll also go to panels with Japanese creators, producers, writers, and artists. (And other fields, but they don't come to mind at the moment.)
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I've been following the Sakuracon guest list for years...and there are a TON of Japanese guests going there every year that I'd love to meet, personally. This year is featuring Urobuchi, Kubota, Yasuhiro Irie, Digitarou, Nagahayama, Sonoda, and Shiki Douji! ALL of those people are HUGE deals to me. Otakon last year got a couple of PA works staff(which was great) and a couple of producers from Under the Dog, and that was pretty much it...

I go to cons only for Japanese artistic guests and to buy more artwork at auction. While the musical guests are an ok distraction, they're not my main draw. That being said, I've seen Urobutcher at a couple cons already, and the same goes for Nagahama, who attends SakuraCon every few years. Having met Kubota, I really like him as an artist and find him to be one of the most talented guests that I've ever met, but it's likely that his company will pull the same stunt they did at AnimeFest, and prevent him from donating any artwork for their auction. And let's not forget all the usual stunts SakuraCon pulls. Their guest receptions used to be a lot more fun. Although I did quite enjoy watching Kawamoto tell off SakuraCon staff last year. They clearly had not heard about what occurred at AM2 when Kawamoto was there...

The Anime Expo Aniplex events have been a joke. They advertise it as a live drawing, but it's a live tracing. If you sit close enough, you can see that the artwork has already been drawn, and that the artist is simply tracing over it. Both the Kill la Kill and Fate events featured a live tracing.
Rokatsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Woah a lot of the comments here are negative about this news. Am I the only person here who's actually excited about this and wanting to go? Just think, since they are a dubbing company they talk to the people who create anime all the time, imagine the opportunity here! Since they know each other and since it's Crunchyrolls first convention we might see a lot of big name people there or really popular artists.

I hope that Crunchyroll does one in Canada though, that'd be nice.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
@Cutiebunny I've narrowly missed pretty much every opportunity I could have had to go see most of these people, unfortunately. Moved to the East coast before I became an anime fan, and had to work through the one time that Urobuchi was at Otakon.. and other than that, there really aren't many East coast options for good JP guests.

Rokatsu wrote:
Woah a lot of the comments here are negative about this news. Am I the only person here who's actually excited about this and wanting to go?

I'm excited about the idea of this type of convention, and DO really want to go. I just can't justify the $1000+ it'll cost me to travel cross country for it. Crying or Very sad
ew121

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:50 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
The video quality of CR is better then what the Japanese get on TV, so I'm not complaining there.

No it's not. The banding is awful in CR, did you watch Keijo? the lineart was all kinds of crap.

Removed a word that got around the censor. --willag
Tsumikisan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:45 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty happy for CR for achieving such a milestone, and I hope they only get bigger and better from here.

My only concern is the date of the convention since it's a month after AX, right after a couple of other huge cons, and is the same week school starts up (at least my sister in high school tells me). I don't mind the drive there (driving to AX is a 10+ hours), I just wouldn't be able to get the time off after being in LA for almost an entire week, and I'm probably not the only one.

My only hope is they do what they usually do at conventions and offer a live stream for members who can't make it. It'd be awesome to have a chance to watch panels live - I know they've done it in the past during other cons so to not do it for their own wouldn't make sense.

Otherwise I'm excited, and maybe I'll get a ticket for 2018.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

The cons go where the money is. The money is not in Kansas. Nor is it in South Dakota. It's in areas where there are large portion of the population who are Asian and appreciate the manga/anime fandom. You can whine all you'd like that it's not fair, but if it bothered these people so much, they'd either move to areas where there are more cons, or simply travel to them. It's similar to how I can't stand Fanime, so I pay $800+ to travel to Animazement.
Interestingly enough, there is a pretty good number of anime conventions within 6 hours driving distance of Topeka, KS. And that even includes one in South Dakota! Their closest con, 1 hour away in the Kansas City suburb of Overland Park, KS, has had fair numbers of Japanese guests over the past few years. While these events maybe aren't on par with the big coastal conventions, at least they largely avoid the massive lines and endless add-on costs that others have mentioned. Perhaps these declared-by-fiat industry trade shows like CrunchyCon go where the money is, but most organically-grown, fan-run cons are happy to exist wherever fanbases are sufficient enough to cover event space rentals and other operating costs.

As for people in western Kansas who find themselves farther away from those six events, well... Denver is a lot closer to them than it is to Topeka.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5